Capcom Denies Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Hopes

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Capcom Denies Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Hopes

If the news of the XBLA/PSN re-release of Marvel vs. Capcom 2 had given you hope that Capcom and Marvel might be working on a third game, Capcom has bad news for you.

Marvel vs. Capcom 2 is now finally official for Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network. Most people who cared saw it coming for a long time. So why did Capcom take forever to make it happen? Well, there were a bevy of licensing issues they had to get around, what with Activision having the rights to multiple Marvel properties.

So if Capcom worked out those issues to put out MvC2, it would stand to reason that they could do the same for MvC3, right? Well, it just ain't that easy.

"The short answer is no, that's not any part of this deal," Capcom's Seth Killian told Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/05/capcom-marvel-vs-capcom-3-not-part-of-deal-to-re-release-mvc/]. "What we're hoping is that if people get really juiced about this title, and we can show Marvel that there's a lot of heat behind this, then they'll open up the door for us to do something with 3 which is something we'd love to do."

Legal issues are also holding back Capcom from getting work underway on a localization of another Versus fighter, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. That game pits Capcom characters against a huge cast of anime characters from cartoons produced by the legendary Tatsunoko studio, cartoons that were licensed by multiple companies in the US.

"The rights holders for Tatsunoko in Japan are one company, but in the U.S. it's ... 13 companies -- and some are very attentive and some are not," Killian explained.

If you needed another reason to dislike lawyers, here you go.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
13 companies holding the Tatsunoko rights? Wow, there are only 11 Tatsunoko characters in the game...

Sgt. Dante

Jul 30, 2008
Well damn. Been quite hyped about the re-release of MvC2, and been wanting MvC3 for ages now. Didn't realize that Marvel was so afraid of money. Suppose that's the problem with rival games companies buying character licenses.

roastbeefy

Apr 20, 2009
It seems Rurouni Kenshin isn't in Tatsunoko, so I'm not too excited about that. I want Kenshin in a fighting game that isn't mugen (after all, everyone's in mugen).

I am excited about MvC2 on XBLA, though. It also seems like Capcom is in the right place, because it seems like they care more about giving fans what they want than money, although giving fans what they want oftentimes results in enough money to bathe in gold like Scrooge McDuck (a character who, coincidentally, Capcom made an NES game about).

Fruitloops89

Feb 20, 2009
DAMN IT ACTIVISION! Anyway, a MvC3 would be amazing to see, but for now it is all just a pipe dream or a mugen. MvC2 is getting recognition and if that's not gravy then I don't know what is.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
All the more reason to buy the remake, even if you already own the original. I want this franchise back gosh-darnit!

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
Indigo_Dingo said:
Who owns the Tatsunoko rights in Europe and Oceania? Or is it simply a waste of time to try europe without America?
Probably counted among those 13 companies because:
KDR_11k said:
13 companies holding the Tatsunoko rights? Wow, there are only 11 Tatsunoko characters in the game...
And I also find it highly doubtful there isn't some company holding at least 2 or 3 licences.

It's just a mess really.

So how about a PAL PS2 Third Strike Capcom?

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
...*sigh* 'Tis a shame, really. Looks it'll only happen in our dreams...