Texas May Force Sex Offenders To Register Gamertags

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Texas May Force Sex Offenders To Register Gamertags

A bill that recently passed the Texas Senate could require sex offenders to register their online identifiers, which may include gamertags and MMOG characters.

HB 22, a bill that passed the Texas Senate yesterday, changes the state's sex offender registration policy to require convicted offenders to provide the government with some vital information about who they are: their name, date of birth, sex, race, shoe size, all that stuff you'd expect to find, but also every "alias, assumed name, nickname, or pseudonym, including a screen name, used by the person" and "other internet communication identifier."

Those categories are loose enough that they could very likely include the kind of names and identities used not just in social networks, but in online games: gamertags, MMOG characters and more.

The information will be distributed to state law enforcement and social networking sites, but could also be potentially requested by game companies, should the powers that be decide that it applies to online game identifiers. "It appears this law would apply to gamertags, although the final definition of what's covered in the law is up to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice," Chicago attorney Wesley Johnson told The Feed.

The bill has yet to be voted on by the Texas House and approved by the Governor, but should it pass, it sounds like game companies won't hesitate to get behind it (at least in spirit).

"While we don't have all of the details surrounding this specific bill in Texas or any of the implications it would have for online networks, Microsoft remains committed to abiding by all laws and providing a safe and fun environment for Xbox LIVE members," a Microsoft representative said.

(The Feed [http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/695252/Texas-Bill-Might-Require-Sex-Offenders-To-Register-Gaming-Identities.html])

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
TBH I dont think the predators using xbl have anything to worry about. Even if theyre banned from playing all but +18 games, they'll still be playing with thousands of clueless tiny teens

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
MA7743W said:
Good idea but couldn't they just make an alt ?
That's what I was wondering. Given how easily you can have multiple characters in an MMO, how well is this really likely to work?

Domou

Dec 3, 2008
I think it's a good idea...

There should be a little *SEX OFFENDER* button next to their Gamertag or MMOG name to show that they're registered sex offenders...
I just think that would be funny. >->;

level250geek

Jan 8, 2009
As with all things sex offender: it's not the punishment, it's the definition of the offender, with which I have a problem.

In NC and several other states, if you urinate in back alley and somebody happens to see, you have to register. That's considered a sex offense.

Not quite the same as raping a child. A dude gets drunk and takes a leak and BAM: his life is over. A little strict.

level250geek

Jan 8, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
MA7743W said:
Good idea but couldn't they just make an alt ?
That's what I was wondering. Given how easily you can have multiple characters in an MMO, how well is this really likely to work?
They could be forced to hand over account names, not just character names. Making a new account is a bit more convoluted on the part of the offender in order to make it unable to track.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
xmetatr0nx said:
Its texas, it will more than likely pass. I say good for them, if only we could get all the other biggots, racist, homophobes, and classist people on xbl to register their offenses would make playing on there more enjoyable.
Amen to that. And I don't even use XBL.

Schwenkdawg

Apr 15, 2009
xmetatr0nx said:
Its texas, it will more than likely pass. I say good for them, if only we could get all the other biggots, racist, homophobes, and classist people on xbl to register their offenses would make playing on there more enjoyable.
If you did that, there wouldn't be anyone left on XBL...

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
ANd what happens when I'm merrily skipping along, only to find that a sex offender is using my gamertag on another server?

Sinvel

Aug 5, 2008
Awww man... I gotta register my WoW names now? Dammit.. my new name is gonna be "THE SEX OFFENDER" Elven Mage dude...

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
And how is this going to affect others with the same "alias, assumed name, nickname, or pseudonym, including a screen name"?

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Shapsters said:
Good idea! It's kinda easy to gt around, but still, at least they are trying.
Alleged_Alec said:
And how is this going to affect others with the same "alias, assumed name, nickname, or pseudonym, including a screen name"?
It's not really that hard to link account info with a specific Gamertag. Any Gamertag used by said offender could be marked with something, but the same name on another server would not be marked.

Also, not registering an account or Gamertag would get them in trouble. It seems like it would be similar to sex offenders having to register like they do now. If they don't register a new account/Gamertag, then they can be punished.