AMD Phenom II Processor Breaks World Record for Overclocking

Michael Grimm

Feb 23, 2009
AMD Phenom II Processor Breaks World Record for Overclocking

A team of engineers has successfully overclocked a 3.2Ghz AMD processor to run at over twice its original speed.

The processor, a Phenom II 955 Black Edition, was successfully overclocked by a group known as LimitTeam to an astounding 7.1Ghz. The team consisted of overclockers going by the names Sigh, Qooitry and Ultra40. The overclocking is a world record for a multi core CPU.

But what else was under the hood?

"The team used ASUS M4A79T Deluxe motherboard, ATI Radeon 4800 series graphics card and 2x2GB of DDR3-833 memory by Apacer Technology." And "[...] a HyperTransport base clock of 250 MHz."

The team also used a few tricks to achieve the record speed:

"Both the graphics and memory were seriously underclocked to achieve as high clock as possible, with processor eating all the juice that motherboard was able to give."

The Phenom II processor has become popular CPU choice for overclockers because of its strong manufacturing process and solid architecture. Sorry if that sounds vague or promotional because honestly I'm in over my head trying to describe the specifics here.

If LimitTeam wants a real challenge though, I dare them to get my busted old desktop to run Crysis without updating anything. I'll even settle for 1024x768 and low textures.

Source: <a href="http://brightsideofnews.com/news/2009/5/5/amd-smashes-the-71-ghz-barrier-with-phenom-ii-955-cpu!.aspx"
target="_blank">www.BrightSideofNews.com

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
And then it all melted I assume? Quite an impressive feat, what do they actually have running on the comptuer that even gets the processor running that fast?

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
i really dont see the piont other than bragging rights, and its not somthing that attracts hordes of ladies.
But still, 7.1 ghz!!

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
If they could run it at 7.1 without burning the thing out and with the computer running at 100% efficency, I'd be impressed.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Booze Zombie said:
If they could run it at 7.1 without burning the thing out and with the computer running at 100% efficency, I'd be impressed.
Since when are world records about practicality?

Frozen cricket distance spitting?
Most broken melons with your head in an hour?
Most broken boards with your ass in 2 minutes?

Who cares? It's about bragging rights! And they got 'em!

tk1989

May 20, 2008
Im pretty sure this is old news, i read it like 2 weeks ago. Still, its pretty awesome

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
7.1 is immense, I don't think Intel can do anything like this.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Danzorz said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Is it wrong that I take a little pride in not knowing what the hell you're talking about?
Yes.
Very.

7.1GHZ?
Christ, really?
Damn!
So, did it have to be dumped in liquid nitrogen after?
It will have been liquid nitrogen'd DURING the overclocking, you pour it into a cylinder above the processor, and it cools it to like -40

ratix2

Feb 6, 2008
while this is the record for multicore processors, it is NOT the record for highest speed, that still goes to a pentium 4 961 which was overclocked to 8.2ghz. also, this record most likely wont stand for long once the d0 steppings for nehalem get more common. some are reporting getting up to 5ghz on a core i7 920 d0 with little increase in voltage using liquid cooling and not ln2 as this is. thats 24/7 stable. when the i7 975s launch with unlocked clock multipliers this record, and very possible the absolute record of 8.2 will probably be broken.

still though, it is impressive for all 4 cores enabled. it only processors could reach these kinds of speeds in an environment that allowed them to be 24/7 useable instead of this ln2 benchmark and record only occasions.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Danzorz said:
Baneat said:
Danzorz said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Is it wrong that I take a little pride in not knowing what the hell you're talking about?
Yes.
Very.

7.1GHZ?
Christ, really?
Damn!
So, did it have to be dumped in liquid nitrogen after?
It will have been liquid nitrogen'd DURING the overclocking, you pour it into a cylinder above the processor, and it cools it to like -40
-40? Not good enough.
Launch it into the cold side of a planet.
I head one is like -300+
Maybe that should do it.
-300 is incredibly difficult to do, especially considering how much energy that processor would produce, what would you use? Liquid nitrogen isn't cold enough.