Richard Garriott Sues NCsoft

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Richard Garriott Sues NCsoft

Richard Garriott has filed suit against NCsoft [http://us.ncsoft.com/] over millions of dollars he lost as a result of his dismissal from the company - and oh yes, he didn't quit, he was fired.

Fallout from the falling-out between Garriott and NCsoft is getting ugly. Garriott, the famed pulled the plug [http://www.uo.com/archive/] on Tabula Rasa and that, by all appearances, was that.

But now Garriott has launched a lawsuit against NCsoft alleging that after firing him, the company "internally re-characterized" his dismissal as a voluntary resignation, resulting in the loss of millions of dollars for Garriott when he was essentially forced to cash out his stock options prematurely. "If NCsoft terminated Mr. Garriott's employment (which it did) then the [stock] options - worth tens of millions of dollars - would remain in effect until 2011; but if Mr. Garriott resigned voluntarily (which he did not), then NCsoft might have terminated those options... within ninety days of his departure," his complaint says. "NCsoft forced Mr. Garriott into a Hobson's choice [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobson%27s_choice] of exercising his options... and forced him to sell into one of the worst equity markets in modern history..."

Garriott says NCsoft fired him while he was still in quarantine from his space flight and has "refused to retract its misstatements regarding the nature of Mr. Garriott's departure and the cancellation of his stock options." He's accusing the company of breach of contract, fraud and negligent misrepresentation, to the tune of $27,000,000 in actual damages. 27 million dollars.

I guess that's what you call a "surprise twist." I, and I'm sure a lot of other people, assumed the timing of Garriott's departure was mutually agreed upon as a way to allow him to save a little face before Tabula Rasa [http://www.playtr.com/index.html] was taken out behind the woodshed. It never even occurred to me that he was fired. You rein him in a little, you knock a few perks off his budget, you maybe give him a stern talking-to about the need to focus on designing games instead of being a rich crazy guy, but firing him? Who fires Richard Garriott?

A full copy of the complaint can be downloaded here [http://media.libsyn.com/media/gamepolitics/Garriott-NCsoft-complaint.pdf]. Needless to say, we'll be watching this one closely.

Source: GamePolitics [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/05/06/richard-garriott-sues-nc-soft-over-millions-stock-options]

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
27 million!!! Does he want to gut the company? Does he balme them for the fact tabula rasa was yet another needless MMO? I am sure he will settle for less as thats how these things go, but still... Woah

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
It seems clear enough that they fired him.
Whether or not he is entitled to such a payout is another matter entirely. I don't know enough about U.S. law to comment on that.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
27 Million is a bit much. Last I heard he was suing for 24 million. A much more acceptable number.

Delmar Wynn

Nov 12, 2002
Sevre90210 said:
27 Million is a bit much. Last I heard he was suing for 24 million. A much more acceptable number.
What is a few million between friends (err enemies)?

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Although, I only played TR for a few days thanks to the trial. I don't think it deserves to be called a "needless" MMO. It did try to innovate with it's never-ending wars between npcs vying over control of those outposts. And it was fairly fun, but nonetheless, kinda hope R. Gariott will get paid, and hope his next MMO might not take the plunge that fast I guess.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
I actually like Tabula Rasa and was rather bummed out by it's dismissal , it at least tried something new.
I don't think he has any grounds to stand on, he was fired and lost money becuase he didn't do his job. It's really just another story of Captain Capitalism saving the day.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
I gotta say, that's a pretty lame way to handle firing someone, if it's true... writing a post saying he's leaving the company, as if it's really from him? i guess we'll see just how true that is, but if so, wooooooooow.....

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
Hmm it would be dissappointing to find that he was actually fired. I found the idea that his trip to space inspired new interests to be quite funny: "I've seen real space so now pretend space kinda sucks".

Omechron

Apr 15, 2009
This has nothing to do with how much of a turd tabula was or wasn't.

This is about NCsoft breaching contract. What that contract actually entails is for the lawyers to sort out, but if he was involuntarily terminated, and his contract stipulated stock options upon termination, and he did not receive those options, then he IS entitled to financial recompense.

I am, however, having a hard time imagining how ANY amount of NCsoft stock could possibly be worth 27 million.

nikomas1

Jul 3, 2008
Omechron said:
This has nothing to do with how much of a turd tabula was or wasn't.

This is about NCsoft breaching contract. What that contract actually entails is for the lawyers to sort out, but if he was involuntarily terminated, and his contract stipulated stock options upon termination, and he did not receive those options, then he IS entitled to financial recompense.

I am, however, having a hard time imagining how ANY amount of NCsoft stock could possibly be worth 27 million.
NCsoft is quite big, I think they have a lot of games outside the us, you know, were mmo's are very very popular.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Garriot never struck me as the type to hold a grudge. Guess I was wrong, seeing as that's what this seems like. I mean, it's not like he needs the money.

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
If his side of the story is correct, then all power to him, I hope he gets every cent he's asking for.

I still have faith in him producing some good games, I remember the Ultima series with great fondness.