Darkfall Devs: Eurogamer Sucks

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Darkfall Devs: Eurogamer Sucks

After long-delayed MMO Darkfall received a scathing 2/10 review from Eurogamer, the developers fired back, claiming that the reviewer had spent just under two hours logged in - not even playing the game.

Here's a quick recap to bring you up to speed if you've never heard of Darkfall Online [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkfall_Online]: The game, announced in 2001, was for a very long time the MMO equivalent of Team Fortress 2 or Duke Nukem Forever - vaporware, doomed never to come out. It was an overly ambitious project, people claimed, and would only collapse under its own weight. Then, this February, Darkfall came out, largely slipping beneath the radar - but making a decent-sized splash for an indie MMO. Go figure.

Yesterday, Eurogamer finally published their review [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/darkfall-online-review] of Darkfall Online - and reviewer Ed Zitron gave the game an abysmal 2/10, saying that the game was effectively broken in every respect:

[blockquote]While other MMOs have relied on their players to fill in the content to an extent - Star Wars Galaxies being the most notable example - few have abused the sandbox mentality so readily as Aventurine. It's the emperor's new clothes of 2009: such a marvellous game that only an idiot wouldn't realise the beauty of the gaping holes in its content, its wonky control system, and its seemingly decade-old engine.[/blockquote]

Harsh, eh? But hey, Zitron calls 'em like he sees 'em, so--

--wait, not so fast! Darkfall associate producer Tasos Flambouras responded [http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=185060] to the Eurogamer review, calling it fraud. Not only was the review full of factual inaccuracies, Flambouras claimed, but their own server logs show that, of the two Darkfall press accounts Aventurine had given to Eurogamer, one had logged on for only three minutes, and the other "had less than 2 hours spread out in 13 sessions." Furthermore, said account wasn't actually playing the game most of the time: "Most of these 2 hours were spent in the character creator since during almost every one of the logins the reviewer spent the time creating a new character."

It doesn't end there, either. Eurogamer Editor Tom Bramwell posted a rebuttal [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/editors-blog-darkfall-aftermath-blog-entry] suggesting that a reviewer would have to put more than a hundred hours into Darkfall to do it justice, since it's an MMO.

Whew. How 'bout them apples? On the one hand, part of me sympathizes with Zitron, because as a reviewer it can be so inconsistent how much time you need to sink into a game in order to give it a proper review. Do you always need to beat it from start to finish? What if it's a fighting game - how many hours do you need to play Onechanbara: Bikini Samurai Squad [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/5767-Review-Street-Fighter-IV] for more than five, six hours, to understand that it's not a very good game?

But those aren't MMOs, and you don't want to know how much time I logged in, say, the Wrath of the Lich King beta for my review [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/5445-Review-World-of-Warcraft-Wrath-of-the-Lich-King]. Even if Zitron is telling the truth, and he played Darkfall for nine hours ... that might be enough for an offline game, but not an MMO. If Aventurine's server logs are correct, though ... well, that's another ballgame entirely.

In the meantime, though, we'll be content to pull up a chair, cook some popcorn, and watch the drama unfold.

(Thanks for the tip, WarCry [http://www.warcry.com/news/view/91509-Darkfall-Eurogamer-Slams-Game-with-2-10-Review]!)

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
true or not, theres a lesson here for other potential lazy reviewers. If you arnt gonna play the game ur reviewing, be sure to not be playing one where they can track your activity.

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Do you always need to beat it from start to finish?
You need to get beyond the character creation screen. That much is clear.

I will be interrested in seeing how the second opinion review rates the game.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
True or not, I have a bias against Darkfall and aplaud any insult made towards it. The forum dwelling monkeys they kept around did not impress me.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
How strange that I never heard of this MMO before. 2/10 is a bit harsh for a professional review. Is it a gaming journalist or a child reviewing it?

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
Meanwhile, the actual target group just waits for other reviews to see if it's even worth arguing about all that...

Nothing against Eurogamer, but when in doubt, i just look what others have to say about the game.

EDIT: Don't understand the poster above...IF the Game IS broken, wouldn't it deserve a 2/10, or is the number generally forbidden for "professional reviewers"?

dnadns

Divine Ronin
Jan 20, 2009
I am truly amazed that they just want another "unbiased" review.
There are enough articles that connect the dots between a review and sales figures.
If he really didn't do his job and punched out a review that is giving negative press without any facts backing it up, they could actually sue them.

Actually, I do like to see how this turns out as it often appears that a lot of so-called professional journalists out there turn into marketing tools of the publishers/developers.

For example, I am still waiting for some journalist to give Bethesda some serious heat for the patch debacle with Fallout on the PS3. I mean, this would even be something that a lot of consumers are interested in and whenever I see one of those "interviews", they just cheer at themselves for having the greatest community support on this planet.

Of course, every reviewer has his own opinion, but an article should always be objective and come with arguments based on facts for the good and the bad sides.

That's one of the main reason why I really stick to the Escapist. I don't agree with every article, but I can almost always follow the argument and see where somebody is coming from to get a different perspective from my own.

But I am afraid that this is a general problem when it comes to "journalism" and monetary interests in any kind of media.

Delmar Wynn

Nov 12, 2002
While fowl play on the part of the reviewer may be at hand, most of the review is pretty much spot on.

Darkfall is broken and shouldn't have been released in its current state. Tasos also is very quick to bash anyone that says a negative word about the game.

To give you an idea of how bad the state of the game was at launch, Vanguard launched in better shape.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Doesn't it say a lot about the game if a person didn't even want to play past the character creation screen? I appreciate the need to log in more hours before dropping a review but the fact that this fiasco is even occurring says a lot.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Who needs to play hundreds of hours to determine if a game is fun? Play 2-3 hours, if it's no fun you can just quit (a good game would give you fun within the first hour or so and that's already a very lenient standard, it should start practically immediately), if you really want to strain it maybe 5 hours. If that's no fun, well, guess what, noone's going to give a shit if the game becomes fun later on because it has already wasted hours of your time providing no fun whatsoever. Who'd bother playing further after that much rejection?

dnadns said:
There are enough articles that connect the dots between a review and sales figures.
All I recall is a study finding no correlation between sales and reviews.

boblobaw

May 6, 2009
Why would someone lie about a meager 9 hours? why doesn't AV use an unbiased 3rd party to maintain server stats? Isn't Tasos known as a liar on darkfall's own forums?

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Delmar Wynn said:
While fowl play on the part of the reviewer may be at hand, most of the review is pretty much spot on.

Darkfall is broken and shouldn't have been released in its current state. Tasos also is very quick to bash anyone that says a negative word about the game.

To give you an idea of how bad the state of the game was at launch, Vanguard launched in better shape.
Oh, so happy to hear this. Suck on this, uh, my beloved Warhammer-ragequitters-guildies :)

calvinbox

May 6, 2009
MMO reviews should take at least 1 month of gameplay to be accepted.

Remember the Age of Conan fiasco... the reviews were great at the beginning because the lazy rewviewrs just have played in the NOOB island. After that inicial zone the game was a complete garbage.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
LeonHellsvite said:
Heh at least Escapists reviewers are not lazy
Can you tell my mom that? She still wants me to go do something more productive than just talk about games all day. :)