Valve Teases TF2 Sniper Update

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Valve Teases TF2 Sniper Update

Valve isn't ready to show their hand for the Team Fortress 2 sniper class update just yet ... but that doesn't mean they aren't ready to tease their fans [http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=2477] - and apparently, he'll be looking to close the distance.

Oh, the Sniper. As one particularly snarky critic explained, playing the Sniper in TF2 is like playing a point-and-click adventure game where the only puzzle is "Use Gun on Man." A good sniper can effortlessly thin the ranks of the enemy team - a bad sniper gets killed by spies and pyros. The rest are all standing on the battlements on 2fort.

The Sniper, though, seems to be a hard class to balance. There are two philosophies that Valve found helped players deal with dying in the fast-paced FPS: First, do you understand what killed you? Second, were you engaged with what killed you? The first is easy enough - thanks to the freezecam, you'll know for sure when your brains have been splattered across the wall thanks to the Hunter From Down Under. The second, though, is trickier ... if you're battling a Pyro and then get headshot from across the map by his Sniper teammate that you didn't see, it can be frustrating:

[blockquote]In particular, the second seemed to be the root cause of the hatred of Snipers. You're often killed by them while you're engaged with an enemy in the foreground, and most of the time the Sniper is so far away it feels like you couldn't have dealt with him even if you didn't have enemies nearby. In fact, the Sniper's goal is to create that relationship: he specifically wants to fight enemies outside their engagement range, because that's his primary advantage.[/blockquote]

So for the Sniper Rifle unlockable, Valve is looking at something that will encourage the Sniper to get closer to the target, and to engage them in combat - where even if a player loses to the new close-range Sniper, they "feel like they could have survived if they'd just managed to fight a little better."

It's a good point, but wouldn't it feel kind of weird to have the Sniper trading in his, well, Sniper Rifle for a shotgun?

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Seems to kind of remove the purpose and style of the sniper.... not so sure I approve, but I'm sure it'll get balanced out and fit into the game... valve has done a pretty good job of keeping true to this so far...

ezeroast

Jan 25, 2009
lets not make the sniper to well rounded please, we get too many of them in one game as it is.
Dont get me wrong i enjoy being a sniper.. actually i LOVE it. But i just dont see how making a sniper a possible "mid range" character is a good thing. His place is, head shaved, high in a tower, gunning down strangers...

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
Sniper is practically my FPS life. Although I don't play this game too much, I'm always a Sniper and occasionally a spy. If they nerf it out long-range, I might just quit. Depends exactly on what they mean by convicing the sniper to close in.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
I just wish it was easier to hit targets on the 360 version. Could they do something about that?

Or maybe I'm just really bad at it. But I don't have as much trouble sniping in any game as I do TF2. They just move too fast!

That might be a trait unique to using a controller rather than a mouse. Or, again, it might just be my depressingly poor skill. I'll stick to being a medic, thank you very much.

Knonsense

Oct 22, 2008
It does seem kind of odd that they would have the sniper, well, not snipe. Perhaps it involves iron sights and legitimate cross hairs that you can use without eviscerating your line of sight and slowing yourself to a grinding halt. That does sound like it would be difficult to balance.

Good luck Valve. Hopefully you won't relive the sandman backlash.

Nivag said:
Sniper is practically my FPS life. Although I don't play this game too much, I'm always a Sniper and occasionally a spy. If they nerf it out long-range, I might just quit. Depends exactly on what they mean by convicing the sniper to close in.
Valve's MO for this sort of thing is side-grades. They'll give you a new weapon, and the *option* to use it, but the original should stay where it is. It seems very doubtful that they would nerf it.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Nivag said:
You'll still have the normal Sniper Rifle regardless. They are talking about the achievement weapon that you could choose to equip in place of your normal rifle.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Valve put the doctor Who theme in their news.

Interesting, but unless it offers some incredible advantage it risks becoming another Bonk, cool sounding but ultimately useless. Especially when good snipers can hold their own in close anyay.

Time will tell.

The_root_of_all_evil said:
Loathe snipers. That's why I set them on fire whenever I can. BURN!
You love us really...

FistsOfTinsel

Jun 23, 2008
I miss the "red dot effect" that the sniper had in TFC. The red dot still exists in TF2, but in TFC, if the sniper had the dot trained on your head, your vision would be washed in a red light, giving you a tiny warning that you were about to be wasted. Sometimes you might be able to do something about it, if the sniper was slow, but usually all it did was induce a moment of panic before your death. Good times.

roekenny

Jun 17, 2008
No what need to do is be a scout and bonk them into orbit as hilarity ensures or pow them as a heavy for ultimate insult as if a heavy can sneaky past you then got problems :D

But I looking forward to a mid ranged rifle as means might make a few snipers not just camp in most useless places potshoting stragglers and play more of a sharpshooter just behind the front lines taking out key targets.

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
Yay, I love sniper. I'm very interested to see how they handle it. So far, in my opinion, Valve has done a good job with the class updates.

InProgress

Feb 15, 2008
Seconded.

I'm just glad they let you choose with what weapon you like. It would be nasty to nerf the sniper rifle and turn into a FPS in which the person with the best gun wins.

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
Slycne said:
Nivag said:
You'll still have the normal Sniper Rifle regardless. They are talking about the achievement weapon that you could choose to equip in place of your normal rifle.
Ah good. I was hoping it was optional. I get so paranoid nowadays about everything I like getting nerfed in order to create an equilibrium amongst classes/races/kits etc. I blame the young generation.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
That's probably the worst idea they had since the Scout update. Why would you force a Sniper from his only advantage?
Please don't fuck this up Valve; as of now I feel the Sniper is the weakest class, even though a skilled player can use him very efficiently.

The rage you get from a target after a headshot only makes the kill sweeter.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Nivag said:
Slycne said:
Nivag said:
Ah good. I was hoping it was optional. I get so paranoid nowadays about everything I like getting nerfed in order to create an equilibrium amongst classes/races/kits etc. I blame the young generation.
All TF2 weapons are optional. The TF2 unlockable weapons are just to add more tactics and new ways to play the classes.

You know...keeping the game fresh.

Feb 13, 2008
Brotherofwill said:
as of now I feel the Sniper is the weakest class, even though a skilled player can use him very efficiently.
Buh??? Long range one-shotter on open maps, with a semi-auto as backup?

JimmehC

Apr 16, 2009
Snipers suck, takes me back to other games (Counter-Strike, Battlefield series, COD series and TF2 prominently) where everyone who plays as a sniper is 99% of the time a total lame duck for the entire game they stay in the same spot killing players while they spawn, being moody on voice chat and generally being a sack who would occasionally lose it when they got killed by someone with a SMG thus crying "spray and pray ******" "Sniper needs buff, SMGs OP at close range, no scopes should lock on" etc. Or they get a killing spree of like 3 and think they are the dogs b*ll*cks. Sniper classes attract dull people to play them. And sniping doesn't take skill, least the TF2 sniper currently is hard to play (arguably takes skill) but I fear Valve may have to convert the sniper class into a totally OP one-shot with no charge sux class for the douchebags out there.

P.S:- Sorry that turned into a anti-stereotypical snipers rant hehe... xD

Zombie Badger

Dec 4, 2007
Nivag said:
They're not forcing you to use the new weapons. You can carry on decapitating people from the next town over.