Behold the Bloody Horror of 8-Bit Fatality

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Behold the Bloody Horror of 8-Bit Fatality

We all know that games like Gears of War [http://www.rockstargames.com/iv] are incredibly violent but as the 8-Bit Fatality project graphically illustrates, gamers have been inflicting horrific acts of digital brutality since the early days of the classic coin-ops.

Blood and guts are a gamer's meat and potatoes. As technology has improved over the years, so has our ability to accurately and explicitly portray acts of unimaginable mayhem. Ours is a hobby in which a stupidly oversized assault rifle isn't enough; we need a chainsaw attached to it. Rising alongside the body count is concern that this endless on-screen massacre is somehow warping us, desensitizing our children and turning our citizenry into murderous, slack-jawed zombies who desire nothing more than an excuse to kill everything we see.

But is it really all that new? Is the explosion in violence unprecedented, or has it just been brought into a sharper focus? Consider what actually happens when Mario jumps on the head of a Goomba; do you think the Goomba simply steps aside out of deference to the hero? And then there's the great arcade stand-up Saint's Row [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dig_Dug].

"Just because you didn't see Pac-Man violently tearing into the ghosts with his jaws, or Mario smashing in the brains of a Goomba, that's what I knew was happening," TastyPaints, aka Steven Lefcourt, wrote on his Flickr page. "I decided to show everyone just what I imagined was happening when these little blocky, pixelized abstractions... came into contact with each other, but in a much more visceral, and gory way than could ever be shown with limited graphical systems."

Other games featured in the series include Pac-Man, Final Fantasy 1 and Pokemon. Bear witness to the true horror of all that pixelated cruelty right here [http://www.flickr.com/photos/49017345@N00/sets/72157602219725591/].

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
You know, I like the idea that someone acknowledges that there is such violence in games, but I daren't click that link.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Erana said:
You know, I like the idea that someone acknowledges that there is such violence in games, but I daren't click that link.
Why not? It just puts into images what we already knew was happening.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Mstrswrd said:
Erana said:
Why not? It just puts into images what we already knew was happening.
Once you put graphic imagery into your head, you can never get it out. I'd prefer to keep my mind pristine.

RE:4 doesn't count.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Wouldukindly said:
Erana said:
They're quite imaginative. My personal favourite is the adorable Kirby...devouring the bloody remains of his foes.
You're horrible! ;-;
* rinses her head out with brain bleach*

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Great stuff.
I kind of like Bob Dob's approach better though.

Some of those old games really were that violent though. Anyone here remember Chiller. That was a sick bit of programming right there.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Wouldukindly said:
Erana said:
Wouldukindly said:
Erana said:
They're quite imaginative. My personal favourite is the adorable Kirby...devouring the bloody remains of his foes.
You're horrible! ;-;
* rinses her head out with brain bleach*
Oh brain bleach can't save you now, you're probably imagining something far worse then the actual picture! *laughs insanely*
Your mind tricks won't work on me; I have Nutella! Praise the nutella!

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Erana said:
If you're ok with anything that went out after God of War, then you'll come out unscathed from the link.

Seriously though, I'd like that "Kirb your hunger" bit on a T-shirt.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Syntax Error said:
Erana said:
If you're ok with anything that went out after God of War, then you'll come out unscathed from the link.

Seriously though, I'd like that "Kirb your hunger" bit on a T-shirt.
Just that picture in the OP scars me more than God of War.

Time Travelling Toaster

The Toast with the 'Tache
Mar 1, 2009
These were actually really well done, it makes you think what these games actually did under the pixels. It's not as graphic as some games now though ie God of War it's just well done from the classic era games.