MapleStory Has More Than 92 Million Players

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
MapleStory Has More Than 92 Million Players

Everyone knows that MapleStory is big, but we had no idea that it's this big. The free-to-play MMOG has more than 92 million players, publisher Nexon revealed today.

And, four years after launching in North America, MapleStory has more than 92 million players worldwide. Believe it or not, the free-to-play 2D MMOG that's all the rage with the kids these days boasts an absolutely staggeringly huge playerbase, with six million of those players calling North America their home.

Sure, those numbers could probably be fudged to count inactive accounts, but the fact that MapleStory is a phenomenon is pretty hard to avoid. It's not just that there are people playing the game, publisher Nexon argues, but that there's a vibrant online culture surrounding it. "Players have turned MapleStory into an online video mainstay through blogs, community fan sites and fan videos," Nexon wrote in a press release. "Over 200,000 videos are available by searching MapleStory at YouTube."

A YouTube search for "MapleStory" reveals that Nexon aren't kidding around (though they did round the number up), as it returned "about 190,000" videos, including such treasures of the internet as "How to pick up girls in MapleStory," "MapleStory Geico Spoof" and "MapleStory Puke Contest."

The fourth anniversary celebration for the game will feature a number of special events in-game, including special anniversary weapon drops, item upgrades, and a prize giveway, among other happenings.

"We are very grateful to our loyal fans and this celebration is for them," Min Kim, Nexon America's Vice President of Marketing, said. "MapleStory fans have helped create something special and we're going to reward them with new, exciting content to enjoy throughout the summer and beyond."

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
..........holy shit.

Using very complex mathematical equations and algorithms, that's only about.........

8 million away from a hundred million!

100 freakin' million

Though I'd guess that many of those are remade characters from the same person, my friends do that alot.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Jumplion said:
..........holy shit.

Using very complex mathematical equations and algorithms, that's only about.........

8 million away from a billion!
give or take 900,000,000

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
Even thought MapleStory is about sharing and caring and making friends and not brutally murdering Night Elves and all those good things that make WoW so popular with men

Shy_Guy

Apr 13, 2009
Jumplion said:
..........holy shit.

A freakin' billion

Though I'd guess that many of those are remade characters from the same person, my friends do that alot.
Is this where I do the *faceplam*?

Anyway, I really do think a good portion are multiple-account users.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Jumplion said:
..........holy shit.

give or take 900,000,000
HAAAAH! You beat me to it!

I tried the game once (meaning I'm probably one of the many that shouldn't count towards the number, as I quit). I just don't see whats so good about it. It was dull to me.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
I'd say, with no proof other then knowledge that a friend of mine had around 20 accounts before he stopped playing, that the actual amount of players is closer to 80 million, which still deserves its holy shit from Jumplion.

... I wonder how many of those people are the paying type, because I know that there are special items and stuff that you have to buy.

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
I played it before.
Like most MMORPGs, I found it rather redundant though.

Which is why I got a character to level 73...

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
That is a crazy amount! 92 million?! I have seen ads for this thing but holy crap!

ryai458

Oct 20, 2008
thats crazy i played another one of nexons game mabingo its was pretty good for a free game but thats alot of people for maple story it sounds dumb but it must be da shit

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Jumplion said:
..........holy shit.

give or take 900,000,000
He was close enough, he tried.

anyway, I had no idea it was that popular. I know plenty of people who used to play it but no one who still does because they "grew out of it" so to speak (that's what they say. ;/)

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Well not everyone knew it was big.

That screenshot is the first thing I have seen that is Maple Story related. I've never played it and don't know anyone who does. Might take a look on YouTube at least.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
Holy shit......... there is no possible way for me to react to this. Surprise? Disgust? Humility for being the same species as these people?....... maybe not that last one. Browser games are addictive.

HeartAttackBob

Sep 11, 2008
Maybe I just live in a dark cave-filled with Blizzard & Valve games- but I honestly have never heard of MapleStory in anything more substantial than in a list of MMO's.

That is a huge number, and my first inclination is to be very, very suspicious as to how they came up with it. Perhaps it's like EVE and there is a decent benefit to having multiple accounts, which might pad that number a bit.

In any case, I just might check it out.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Jumplion said:
..........holy shit.

give or take 900,000,000
Hmmmmm, it seems the complex mathematical equations and algorithms were.......miscalculated >_>; Okay, I may have sped read a bit...

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
That's it, stop the world I want out...
Played it and found it boring, I just don't get how this game could become so popular.

Raddragon

Dec 23, 2008
"The free-to-play MMOG has more than 92 million players,"
ITS OVER 9000!

I play Maple Story every once in a while and I'm waiting for the DS version now. Makes me wonder if it will be any good. In fact, I wonder if its really coming out at all?

Edit:the DS game was announced originally at E3 2006.
It was first projected to be released in September 2007.
We're in 2009.
Yeaaah.

G. Alarimm

May 2, 2009
Nexon is an awful company, I wouldn't be surprised if they just tacked a 9 on the front.