Scientists Discover Link Between Intelligence, Good Health

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Scientists Discover Link Between Intelligence, Good Health

Rejoice nerds! Researchers at King's College London have discovered a link between heightened intelligence and good physical health.

A recent study surveyed nearly 4,000 Vietnam veterans and discovered that those with lower IQs are more likely to suffer from a wealth of physical health problems, reports New Scientist [http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17098].

While the study's findings are obviously relative -- there seems to be no definitive IQ point below which the human body is prone to illness -- the conclusions drawn by the King's College team suggest that there are common evolutionary factors between good health and raised intelligence.

Or, as New Scientist puts it, "low intelligence may be an indication of harmful genetic mutations."

Psychologist Rosalind Arden points out that while the idea that more intelligent people would make more intelligent decisions related to their health is a solid argument, the study "found that indicators of healthy living, such as a low body mass index and not smoking, do not correlate with overall health of veterans as well as several tests of intelligence," Arden says.

Remember that the next time you're stuffed in a locker by some stereotypically Neanderthalic football player in a cliché reenactment of a John Hughes movie. He may be stronger, more attractive, and have some concept of what intercourse is like, but who's going to be laughing when he's dying of cancer at the age of 35?

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Intelligence doesn't equal decent sense or wisdom. And I could find a study that finds most nerds get more babes than jocks. Studies are only what you look for, not what is really out there.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
so being of the less smart variety means you will die sooner and more painfully? Gee, what a wonderful thought.

Jursa

Oct 11, 2008
So banging your head against the wall directly decreases the length of your life.

GRoXERs

Feb 4, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
And statistics can be interpreted to prove any point you'd like. 74% of all people know that.
As someone who actually uses statistics, I hereby blow you a raspberry. Pbbthbth.

Statistics can indeed be manipulated to make them say whatever you want, but it's usually pretty obvious if you know anything about statistics - which I think can be pretty safely be said about the editors of New Scientist and the peer reviewers of Intelligence.

(Yes, I realize you were probably joking. Probably.)

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
I can imagine that there were worse things for ur health in Vietnam than having a low IQ

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Earnest Cavalli said:
And statistics can be interpreted to prove any point you'd like. 74% of all people know that.
82% of all people know that dog in the original post is adorable.

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
ElephantGuts said:
Thank God. Nature's killing off all the retards. Someone had to.
I'm right here.

Jursa said:
So banging your head against the wall directly decreases the length of your life.
That should be kind of obvious.

If only this were a verifiable fact.
Shall we conduct a study? Let's say...a test pool of 20 people or so? And we can try different types of walls, too. Wanna split the testing half and half?

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Neonbob said:
Shall we conduct a study? Let's say...a test pool of 20 people or so? And we can try different types of walls, too. Wanna split the testing half and half?
Who said you get to help?
I want to keep the fun to myself.
Yes, yes, I know. It's very fun, and I wouldn't want to share it either. But, this being a study and all, it would be good to have more than one person conducting it, am I right? To avoid "unscientific results due to bias" or such nonsense.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
What about blazes of glory? Like if I die at age 40 catching some bullets in the chest for the rookie detective I was recently assigned to who has a wife and kids to take care of and I've got nothing to lose, does that mean I have a low IQ? In other words, does being a badass mean you have a low IQ?

Jackpot

Mar 21, 2008
Next up :

Scientists show link between getting punched in the face and broken teeth.
Scientists fail to sufficiently define intelligence.
Slow news day, huh?

Sigenrecht

Mar 17, 2008
...that dog is wearing my glasses.

*checks face*

Maybe my last pair... so it wasn't the Sock Monkey!

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
l Ancient l said:
Did someone tell Stephen Hawking this?
No, or he will die.

That's like the thing that bumbleebees can't fly. But since they are not aware of that fact, they continue to break the laws of physics.

I call bullshit on this article. I'm pretty damn smart (5 years ago my IQ was about 142, lately I checked and it's 135) and I'm sick pretty often due to allergy, weaker resistance and I have a high blood pressure.

Besides, Vietnam veterans? Seriously?