Ken Levine Talks New Game, Big Budget

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Ken Levine Talks New Game, Big Budget

If you're Ken Levine, you don't just make games. You make experiences. And experiences are not cheap, especially the "mysterious and awesome" one he and 2K Boston are working on right now.

Normally when a developer says something like "I don't make games, I make experiences," the immediate reaction is to scoff and brush them off as pretentious twats. But when Ken Levine says it, you're willing to let him get away with it. I mean, the guy helped make BioShock and System Shock 2.

You're also, if you're a publisher, apparently willing to give him a whole boatload of money to make that "experience." Engaging in a spot of nostalgia during a Q&A session [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/08/ken-levine-next-project-will-cost-a-fair-amount-of-money/] at the MIT Business in Gaming conference, Levine recounted that, of his previous projects, Freedom Force cost $2 million, while System Shock 2 cost $600,000. His new game, though? "It's more than System Shock 2," he said.

At 2K Boston Levine aims to create games that deliver experiences you can't get anywhere else, and "generally those experiences cost a fair amount of money to make." The game, he says, "won't be the cheapest product ever made."

What is it, then, exactly? Levine was hesitant to say. Directly asked what he was working on, Levine responded: "Uh. Uh uh. Something. Awesome. Something mysterious and awesome. But that's about all I can say."

Okay, so here's what we know, based on this and based on previous info hoarding. The new 2K Boston game will: cost more than $600K to make, may or may not feature multiplayer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89110-BioShock-Dev-Working-On-A-Multiplayer-FPS], could or could not be X-COM, is "mysterious and awesome" and is "something." Well, something's better than nothing.

[Via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/08/mit-big-levine-talks-life-before-bioshock/]]

Plauged1

Mar 6, 2009
I don't know why it has to be such a secret. Bioshock had hype, and it definitely delivered,to me at least. He should at least open up a little...

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
"Well I dont make turds, I make hours of pain on the toilet"

In other words

(not saying that the games are bad)

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Guys! Guys! I may be doing something sometime somewhere in the future maybe, and it'll like cost alloott of money! I'M AWESOME! LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME DAMN YOU! I HAVE IMPORTANT NEWS ABOUT THINGS! POSSIBLY!

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
A new X-COM action game with fancy camera angles and graphics would be quite depressing and would further alienate me from mainstream gaming.

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
Well the 600k for SS2 was exceedingly well spend, since it also helped him with a template for Bioshock.

Anyway, a new System Shock game or X-COM would be immense, so long as X-COM went back to its roots, as it still is an awesome game.

I'll be waiting and watching to see what gets revealed!

May 7, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
Guys! Guys! I may be doing something sometime somewhere in the future maybe, and it'll like cost alloott of money! I'M AWESOME! LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME DAMN YOU! I HAVE IMPORTANT NEWS ABOUT THINGS! POSSIBLY!
this

is why i dont buy edge or game any more...its just hype.....

SmilingKitsune

Dec 16, 2008
sorry user name taken. said:
TsunamiWombat said:
this

Well EDGE do have some pretty nice articles, but you have a point.

May 7, 2008
SmilingKitsune said:
TsunamiWombat said:
this

oh i like edge just the media over hype I'm avoiding this year on games....since many years of disappointing,unpleasant...surprises

SmilingKitsune

Dec 16, 2008
SmilingKitsune said:
TsunamiWombat said:
this

oh i like edge just the media over hype I'm avoiding this year on games....since many years of disappointing,unpleasant...surprises
I'm trying to do this aswell, I'm pretty sure I would have enjoyed GTA4 just fine if Rockstar and everyone else hadn't promised me it would redefine my concept of the word awesome.