Barbarella Will Not Be Remade

Feb 13, 2008
Barbarella Will Not Be Remade

Could a remake of possibly the cheesiest movie of all time be coming? Sadly, the answer is no.

How do you describe Barbarella to someone who hasn't seen it? Imagine a 40th century Wizard of Oz, where Dorothy seduces everyone she meets. Now, reduce the effects to a bare minimum, and turn the cheese factor way past Flash Gordon levels and you have a movie that's tailor-made for Mystery Science Theater 3000.

The guy behind Sin City, Robert Rodriguez, wanted to bring this hippy heroine back to our screens so that a whole new generation of movie goers could look it and say, "What the hell?"

Unfortunately, it looks like it's not going to happen. Universal was originally happy to go along with it, but as the budget swelled to Terry Gilliam levels, the studio backed out. Rumor has it that it also didn't think that Rose McGowan had the star power for a blockbuster.

There was a brief respite in which the Germans would front $70 million, but only if the film was shot in Germany. Much as Rodriguez wanted to, the thought of leaving his five kids alone for that long made him turn it down.

"It was a real bummer. We had all this artwork and screen tests of what it would look like. It was a really cool, R-rated, sexy version of a Star Wars movie... it was gonna be really great," said Rodriguez.

There is a happy ending, though. Instead of becoming the new Jane Fonda, Rose will instead take the place of Brigitte Nielsen as the new Red Sonja [http://www.redsonja.net/htmlfiles/].

Source: The Register [http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/08/barbarella_rehash/]

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
"It was a really cool, R-rated, sexy version of a Star Wars movie... it was gonna be really great," said Rodriguez.
No. No it was not.
I disregard anyone who describes their own work, or in this case, lack thereof, as cool.

Feb 13, 2008
madbird-valiant said:
the thought of leaving his five kids alone for that long made him turn it down.
Heaven forfend he'd take his kids with him.
Heaven forbid he sees the idea of relocating his kids to a foreign country for six months to being somewhat disruptive to their lives...

pffh

Oct 10, 2008
Damn, I liked the original in fact I think I'm going to watch it now.

Mar 26, 2008
There is a happy ending, though. Instead of becoming the new Jane Fonda, Rose will instead take the place of Brigitte Nielsen as the new Red Sonja [http://www.redsonja.net/htmlfiles/].
Dear Lord... I didn't think that movie was good enough to warrant a remake, even by Uwe Boll.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
There was a brief respite in which the Germans would front $70 million, but only if the film was shot in Germany.
Wait. The nation of Germany where rising up to save a remake of Barbarella? What kind of country is that?

Feb 13, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
There was a brief respite in which the Germans would front $70 million, but only if the film was shot in Germany.
Wait. The nation of Germany where rising up to save a remake of Barbarella? What kind of country is that?
An awesome country imho.

Zephirius

Jul 9, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Heaven forbid he sees the idea of relocating his kids to a foreign country for six months to being somewhat disruptive to their lives...
They're just children.
Not people.

They don't even have lives yet.
thenumberthirteen said:
One that funded...
Oh my god.
I'm blanking.
Uh...German dude. Huge ego. Shitty movies.
Video game movies.
Uwe Boll!
Sorry.
I'd like to buy a vowel.

Ephixa

Nov 11, 2011
One of my fav. movies, like that comic-book style... Hope that someday will be second part of this movie.