Blizzard, Nintendo Most Successful In 2008

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Blizzard, Nintendo Most Successful In 2008

Develop 100 has released its list of the 100 most successful game studios in 2008 - with PC powerhouse Blizzard dethroning industry standard Nintendo for the #1 spot.

Develop 100 "ranks the world's most bankable games development studios based on a variety of key criteria including sales data, critical success and industry standing," according to the official site [http://www.develop100.com/]. So, if you were looking to bank some money on the gaming 'biz' in this crap-tacular economy, you could do a whole lot worse than putting your lot in with PC gaming juggernaut Blizzard Entertainment.

You see, Blizzard is sitting on a mountain made entirely of money. In 2008 alone, the company took in over a billion dollars in revenue - the bulk of which naturally came from its uberpopular MMORPG, World of Warcraft, whether in subscription fees or retail sales of its second expansion pack, Wrath of the Lich King. Plus, titles like StarCraft and Diablo II still show up on monthly bestseller lists, years after their original releases.

Last year's champion, Nintendo, fell to #2 - but that's hardly bad news for the Big N, considering it's raking in a hojillion dollars every year thanks to its own money-printing machines, the Wii and DS. Rounding out the top five were Rockstar North, EA Canada - initially a strange-sounding choice until you remember that they develop the FIFA games - and Capcom.

Some of the choices are a bit odd. For example, Infinity Ward is in the top ten based solely on the longevity of the acclaimed Call of Duty 4, whereas fanboy-adored Valve doesn't even make a showing until #21 despite last year's Left 4 Dead. Still, it's an interesting list, and despite a few standouts seems fairly accurate. It's hard to argue that the top ten or top twenty aren't some of the most successful companies in the industry, after all.

(Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/11/blizzard-tops-list-of-2008s-most-successful-game-devs/])

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Well I don't remember Nintendo producing anything of any real interest this year, so it's making money purely from the longevity of it's wares. Interesting read anyway.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
but that's hardly bad news for the Big N, considering it's raking in a hojillion dollars every year thanks to its own money-printing machines
I can't help but imagine different notes, with The Queens head replaced by Mario...

super_smash_jesus

Dec 11, 2007
How was Nintendo still even in the top 2 without releasing some of its flagship franchises last year? I guess they can get away with just selling peripherals for games, and not actually release anything worth while and still make a shit ton of cash.

shMerker

Oct 24, 2007
galletea said:
Well I don't remember Nintendo producing anything of any real interest this year, so it's making money purely from the longevity of it's wares. Interesting read anyway.
According to Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_in_video_games] the top 4 selling games last year in the US were all released by Nintendo. Of those four, three were released last year. The other one was Wii Play, which is going to continue selling as well as the wii does. In Japan thy had 8 of the top 10. Of those 6 were released in 08.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
It makes me very sad that enough people buy the FIFA games for EA to make it into the top five.

Other than that, I'm not surprised in the least that Blizzard came in at No.1. It has been said before, but it will be said again: WoW is basically coded crack.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
super_smash_jesus said:
How was Nintendo still even in the top 2 without releasing some of its flagship franchises last year? I guess they can get away with just selling peripherals for games, and not actually release anything worth while and still make a shit ton of cash.
I was going to point out how Nintendo had half of the "top 10 best-selling games of 2008" list taken up by their games but someone beat me to it. Also of course the Wii and DS continued to run roughshod over the competition. So they aren't really "getting away" with anything.

However I'm really not surprised Blizzard came in first, after all, they have 11.5 million people paying the full price of a game every 2-3 months.

Valve being at #21 on the list is also not a surprise to me, since L4D is the only game they put out this past year and I'm sure sales of their other games, even Team Fortress 2, have kinda leveled off.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
needausername said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
but that's hardly bad news for the Big N, considering it's raking in a hojillion dollars every year thanks to its own money-printing machines
I can't help but imagine different notes, with The Queens head replaced by Mario...
that would be... wierd... nintendo logo's everywhere...

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
WoW, blizzard is beating nintendo... befor you know it blizzard will bring out there own game consoles. I mean the are already on a mountain of money like Microsoft, just this time its help together with humans souls (WoW) instead of silicon.