Sega Sends Seven Classics To XBLA

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Sega Sends Seven Classics To XBLA

Seven titles from Sega's heyday are coming to Xbox Live Arcade with some added features that weren't included the last time they were re-released as part of Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection.

Included in Sega's dump [http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2009/05/11/sega-announces-7-new-titles-for-xbla/] of a selection of classic Genesis games for XBLA are Altered Beast, Comix Zone, Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Phantasy Star 2, Sonic and Knuckles, and Treasure's classic side-scrolling shooter, Gunstar Heroes (which is the only of these titles also coming to PlayStation Network).

Most of these games are already available on the 360 in the form of the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection compilation, which packaged 49 Genesis classics onto a single disc. So, why not just pick that up or why bother to buy the games again if you already own the Ultimate Genesis Collection?

Well, all the multiplayer games will feature network play, which should definitely be interesting for people looking to pick up Gunstar Heroes, a game arguably designed to be played with another person. There are also online leaderboards for comparing high scores and being befuddled by the people who can actually beat Comix Zone.

More importantly, at least for the hardcore Sega fans, is the fact that Sonic and Knuckles will be compatible with the XBLA versions of Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 when it comes to unlocking all the "lock-on" features. You might recall that these features, like being able to play as Knuckles in old Sonic games, used to require you to pop open the top of the Sonic and Knuckles cartridge, and stick in your Sonic 1/2/etc carts into the top. And you wonder why that technology never really took off.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
Oh, well. I'll just stick with my copy of Sonic's Genesis Collection.

Although I'll have to get Gunstar Heroes, and there's absolutely no reason any of these new features couldn't have been on the Sonic compilation, especially the lock-on feature.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Finally. Altered Beast is available on XBLA. But until it gets a full next gen remake with Cryengine 3, this will only serve as a piece of scotch tape on my torn heart.

Here's a better question, if a game with no redeeming value other than being a launch title can make it to XBLA then why can't Battle Arena Toshinden also see the re-release it so badly deserves?

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
Sweet. Comix Zone is awesome albeit fucking hard.
Altered Beast was awesome in the levels where you became a pterodactyl/dragon thing like in Heavy Metal

roastbeefy

Apr 20, 2009
Fightgarr said:
Sweet. Comix Zone is awesome albeit fucking hard.
Altered Beast was awesome in the levels where you became a pterodactyl/dragon thing like in Heavy Metal
I'd have to say my only real problem is that you have one life to play the entire game.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Keane Ng said:
More importantly, at least for the hardcore Sega fans, is the fact that Sonic and Knuckles will be compatible with the XBLA versions of Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 when it comes to unlocking all the "lock-on" features. You might recall that these features, like being able to play as Knuckles in old Sonic games, used to require you to pop open the top of the Sonic and Knuckles cartridge, and stick in your Sonic 1/2/etc carts into the top.
HOORAH!

Keane Ng said:
And you wonder why that technology never really took off.
I'm going to have to put this as politely I can manage: Screw you. That system was wonderful for the time it was made in, the exactly same pass-through system was how all old action replay/game genie style devices worked; it literally allowed you to intercept the data passed between the cartridge and the system, and read/rewrite it. Utterly brilliant; also, any non-Sonic cartridge placed into S&K acted as the key to a unique map of Blue Sphere [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Sphere#Any_other_Genesis.2FMega_Drive_game]. How is that not wonderful? I spent ages trying out all my old games, looking for challenging maps. I got GOOD at Blue Sphere.

crackdealer

May 9, 2009
zoozilla said:
Oh, well. I'll just stick with my copy of Sonic's Genesis Collection.

Although I'll have to get Gunstar Heroes, and there's absolutely no reason any of these new features couldn't have been on the Sonic compilation, especially the lock-on feature.
But atleast its finally a decent sonic game on the new consoles.

Dragon Zero

No one of note
Apr 16, 2009
(Now Entering NERD-OUT MODE, please stay clam and make no sudden movements)
GUN...STAR...HEROES?!?
PRAISE THE LORD, PRAISE THE LORD!!!
(cue overdone "Hallelujah" choir)
(parties for nine hours then regains composure)

Whew! Thank you for cooperating with NERD-OUT MODE, thankfully everyones limbs are where they are supposed to be. Anyway, I've been wondering when it would come, now all I need is the Genesis collection and I can have both shooters of my childhood, the other being Vectorman.

Acutally this has me thinking of a great crossover game ala "Battletoads and Double Dragon." How about "Vectorman and Gunstar Heroes", would that not be the greatest game of all time?

EDIT: PRASE THE LORD!!!!!

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
seems sega has realised that making new sonic games is crap...so lets release the old ones 20 times...
im getting tired of sega very quickly

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Huh, Sonic and Knuckles will be compatible with my other Sonic XBLA games? That's pretty damned cool. Though I'm pretty sure my best mate still has them all for the megadrive.
More importantly, Gunstar Heroes for the PS3? Now that's truly awesome, I wants!

corporate_gamer

Apr 17, 2008
will you get to play that add on game from sonic and knuckles where you had to turn all the blue orbs red. And if you touched a red orb you lost. And it went on for ever and ever and ever. I LOVED THAT GAME!!