Rock Band: Pearl Jam Coming Next Year?

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Rock Band: Pearl Jam Coming Next Year?

Seminal alternative rock band Pearl Jam are working with Harmonix, MTV Games and online music service Rhapsody to produce what's being referred to as a "live Pearl Jam game" featuring concert tracks that fans will vote on for inclusion in the game.

Talented Rock Band vocalists might want to start practicing their best Eddie Vedder mumble-warble-sing-speak, because the band is following in the footsteps of The Beatles with their own Rock Band game, due for release next year.

Though the semantics on what exactly this game is are unclear, with the band referring to it as a "project," "game" and "compilation," there is plenty we know and plenty interesting about the game's playlist: it will feature live concert tracks chosen by fans themselves.

Voting has already begun: you just head over to the Pearl Jam site here [https://www.pearljam.com/content/pearl-jam-live-rockband-compilation-coming-next-year], where there's a list of potential in-game tracks. Click on a song, and Rhapsody pulls up a playlist with a dozen or so live versions of that song. The version that gets the most listens will then "be in consideration to make the final set list for the game."

Songs in the running include Pearl Jam classics like "Jeremy," "Better Man," and my personal karaoke favorite, "Even Flow." The candidate list shouldn't be considered an official song list for the game, though, since they'll only "be in consideration" for the final song list. That might also suggest that the game won't exclusively include live songs.

It's great that fans are getting their voices heard directly here, but, you know, democracy ain't easy. The voting might be skewed by the fact that people will generally listen to the first track in a playlist but be too lazy to actually listen to the same song 12 or so times, so the versions at the top of a playlist may just win in the end by default. Then again, Pearl Jam fans are crazy.

crackdealer

May 9, 2009
Hmmm I guess they have some interesting songs. But, maybe they could use the money for this game to improve Guitar Hero.

super_smash_jesus

Dec 11, 2007
This will rock! I love Pearl Jam, and I know almost all of their songs lyrics, so I wouldn't even mind singing for this one either, which I rarely do unless I am drunk. Rock Band are getting some big names lately, and I have a pretty good feeling that this one should do well.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Ah yes, more specific band band games. Let all the band games jump on the band wagon. Maybe wearing headbands, and bandaids.
Sorry, got out of hand there. Kinda annoying though with these. Not that any cept Metallica I dont like. (Well, I like some of their stuff but kRock whored them for awhile and the band members annoy me)
I am not saying dont do it. Just seems like they are getting too money grubbing to me.

m_jim

Jan 14, 2008
Kiutu said:
I am not saying dont do it. Just seems like they are getting too money grubbing to me.
Totally. Rock Band is undergoing a transition from "game" to "content delivery platform," competing with iTunes, Amazon MP3, and whatever backwards distribution system the Zune has. It all reeks of a desperate, crass money grab.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
This sounds a lot more like the previous AC/DC Live release [http://www.rockband.com/games/acdc] than the band-specific Guitar Hero games.

For those that haven't seen that, it's a retail disc containing a copy of Rock Band that only has live AC/DC tracks. The game also includes a code that you can use to download the tracks. I bought it and never even put in the included disc - I just used the code to download all the tracks into Rock Band 2.

I'd much rather see stuff like this than the full-on GH:Metallica or GH:Aerosmith releases.

m_jim said:
Totally. Rock Band is undergoing a transition from "game" to "content delivery platform," ... It all reeks of a desperate, crass money grab.
Well, I'd like to point out that they always said that this was their intention with Rock Band, even if you're just realizing it. This is why Rock Band tracks can be imported into Rock Band 2, and why the DLC works with either game.

How is this a bad thing, or a money grab? You can pick exactly what bands and songs you want to play, and buy only those - they're simply providing as much content as they can for their users. All the instruments and content work with any version of the game, so there's no forced upgrades or purchases. It's pretty much as consumer-friendly as it can possibly be.

What is the superior alternative? Not releasing the tracks for download and instead releasing a new $60 retail version of the game every 6 months with negligible upgrades and a different 50-track setlist? Is it more of a game if they're doing their best to milk you of every [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89979-Eight-Guitar-Hero-Games-in-2009] dollar they can get [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91547-DJ-Hero-Band-Hero-Guitar-Hero-5-Official]?

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
no. NO. NOOOOOOOOOO. Why can't they stop fucking doing this?!
STOP
MAKING
GAMES
BASED
ON
ONE
SINGLE
BAND

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
I would assume if you like Pearl Jam, this would be good news. Don't really understand why anyone is having an issue with this. If you don't like it, don't buy it. And if enough people don't buy it, it will eventually go away.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Virgil said:
This sounds a lot more like the previous AC/DC Live release [http://www.rockband.com/games/acdc] than the band-specific Guitar Hero games.

For those that haven't seen that, it's a retail disc containing a copy of Rock Band that only has live AC/DC tracks. The game also includes a code that you can use to download the tracks. I bought it and never even put in the included disc - I just used the code to download all the tracks into Rock Band 2.

I'd much rather see stuff like this than the full-on GH:Metallica or GH:Aerosmith releases.
yeah i thought the AC/DC one was pretty cool even the other track packs they have are pretty cool and they were also a lot cheaper for the game then the GH: games. so it's an even better deal

i would like them to stick on some Temple of the Dog [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_the_Dog] tracks on it

Bobkat1252

The Psychotic Psyker
Mar 18, 2008
I'm still waiting for a R.A.T.M. game. I'd prefer that it be Guitar Hero simply for what is, in my opinion, a more realisitc drum set.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
It might come faster if Rock Band wasn't releasing the bullsh*t country crap they want to shove down our gullets.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
Vanguard_Ex said:
no. NO. NOOOOOOOOOO. Why can't they stop fucking doing this?!
STOP
MAKING
GAMES
BASED
ON
ONE
SINGLE
BAND
But Rock Band Beatles will be awesome. It comes with an additional microphone for multiple harmonies as well as 4 blotters of LSD and 3 ounces of marijuana.

Roxas ID

May 25, 2009
This will be awesome. with the current drummer of pearl jam being matt cameron (previous drummer of soundgarden)they mite evn put sum of thm on cud b gd.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Cliff_m85 said:
It might come faster if Rock Band wasn't releasing the bullsh*t country crap they want to shove down our gullets.
The reason they keep releasing the bullsh*t country crap is because some people like it.

While I'm not a Pearl Jam fan, I'm all for them releasing as many tracks as possible of any band as listening to a song I like while playing on easy is a nice way to relax.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Cliff_m85 said:
As Plinglebob has already stated, some people like country. I'm critical about most of it, save for Twain. She is awesome.

I'm looking forward to Beatles tracks... I hope that my favorites are all there. If Yellow Submarine is absent, there will be blood.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I'd get this...I love Pearl Jam. I don't usually play music games, but I'd certainly get this.