id Focused on Game Development, Not Engine Licenses

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
id Focused on Game Development, Not Engine Licenses

id Tech 5 [http://www.idsoftware.com], the company will continue to make a priority of developing games rather than licensing the engine.

While id is moving beyond its well-established roots as a PC developer with "seamless" support for the Doom [4] [http://www.xbox.com], which are both id Tech 5 games, are certainly our top priorities."

"It's been more of kind of actually going out and targeting developers, or responding to their requests and actually going out and actually working with them on an individual basis, as opposed to a more kind of marketed, kind of broader approach," he continued. "Our philosophy on that has been that we'd rather have a small number of good-fit, high-quality developer licensees than a bunch that aren't really good fits or that may not be that bright of a licensee anyway."

Hollenshead also said that while id hasn't done much to promote software licenses so far, the development process is proceeding well and the technology is essentially proven. "The main things has been getting the tech to the 'done' stage, where things aren't moving around, and people can set expectations about how they're going to do their budgets," he said. "It's to that point. There's no significant engineering risk about whether things will work or not."

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
If it means iD end up producing better games as a result of focussing on the games themselves rather than making money, this can only be a good thing, surely? I agree with their policy, if other companies want to make awesome games too with such technology then they can develop their own kickass engines, can't they?

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I think this is a step in the right direction for id, you can't live off your game engine profit. Get out there and work!

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Ok, so maybe Doom 4 will be good then?

I'm glad to hear this bit of news. Doom 3 felt more like a tech demo than a attempt to make a good game.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
xmetatr0nx said:
scotth266 said:

I'm glad to hear this bit of news. Doom 3 felt more like a tech demo than a attempt to make a good game.
Completely agree. All that was touted about Doom 3 was the new game engine, every other aspect of the game really seemd lacking.
I got about an hour's worth of game out of it. My thoughts throughout the whole thing:

1) Wow, this game looks AWESOME
2) Wow, these guns suck ASS
3) Wow, why can't I attach this light to a GUN
4) Wow, this game is not fun in the LEAST
5) Wow, cheat codes ROCK

rohit9891

Jan 21, 2009
If it means Doom 4 is gonna rock,then that's good enough for me...atleast they could have shown us some good video or screen footage.

Sanaj

Mar 20, 2009
I will admit without the flashlight duct tape mod, Doom 3 was not playable.

I think my love of Doom and Doom 2 pretty much drove me to complete the game.

As for games first, licensing second, yeah that's a pretty obvious philosophy
to have, in order to make money and make games people actually like, isn't it?

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
scotth266 said:
xmetatr0nx said:
scotth266 said:

Completely agree. All that was touted about Doom 3 was the new game engine, every other aspect of the game really seemd lacking.
I got about an hour's worth of game out of it. My thoughts throughout the whole thing:

5) Wow, cheat codes ROCK
This sums up Doom 3 really. Mainly the bolded part which was the peak of retarded logic.

"Yes Sir! We can go to Mars, but put a simple flashlight into a gun or suit is way out of league!Maybe if our guys had worked in Black Mesa..."

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
Despite how many people claim Doom3 was so bad, it is still one of my favorite FPS games out there. Really, there was only ever one flaw with the game in my eyes, and that was changing the Baron of Hell / Hell Prince from a horned demon, to a almost featureless humanoid notable only for its freaky face.

The expansion, not quite as good (didn't like the inclusion of puzzle play), but still far better than some games out there.

Doom4 is one of the games I am most eagerly waiting for.
Completely agree here. People say Doom 3 lacked depth, and I completely disagree. Your character is put into a living, breathing research base on Mars that has become overrun by demons and zombies. The way the story, and background was presented to you was completely brilliant and provided a nice break from the tension. I was one of the few people who actually read every single PDA entry, and I also listened to every single audio log.

People turned their heads away and let out a huge *meh* when they were presented with this kind of back story when playing Doom 3. These same people praised Dead Space for doing the *same goddamn thing!* That's some kind of bullshit double standard right there.

People were up in arms at how the pistol sounded too weak. They complained at how dark the game was and how lame it was to have a monster hiding in every dark corner. It had a much slower pace then Doom 1/2 did, but the action fans could still buzz through the game without going through too many audio logs. Those of us who like to explore were pleasantly rewarded with a PDA belonging to John Wilson which has a mail entry coming from Mark Brown in Delta Labs. When you reach Delta you then find Mark Brown's PDA and are treated to more wonderful tidbits of back story.

Also, let's face it. Putting a flashlight on the guns in Doom 3 wouldn't have worked too well. I tried that Duct Tape mod and it made some of the poorly lit areas of the game so trivial.

To me the only downside of Doom 3 was the Multiplayer which I found to be horrendous.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
oliveira8 said:
scotth266 said:
xmetatr0nx said:
scotth266 said:

5) Wow, cheat codes ROCK
This sums up Doom 3 really. Mainly the bolded part which was the peak of retarded logic.

"Yes Sir! We can go to Mars, but put a simple flashlight into a gun or suit is way out of league!Maybe if our guys had worked in Black Mesa..."
Those silly marines: they forgot the most important thing to have: duct tape! Who the hell DOESN'T bring duct tape with them wherever they go?

I mean, It's only the most multipurpose thing on planet earth, for god's sake.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
I reread my post and I said Doom 3 was a slower paced game then Doom 3 was. Bloody brilliant. Fixed that. Anyways rawr!