Everybody Barfs In Critter Crunch

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Everybody Barfs In Critter Crunch

Critter Crunch, a PSN puzzle game with a despicably adorable art-style and beautiful hand-drawn animation, boasts one of the most gross gameplay conceits in recent memory: you barf, and barf, and barf.

Nature is gross. Barfing is gross. Barfing is nature. Plenty of animals out there feed each other by barfing into each others mouths. That's what Capy [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/05/12/critter-crunch-playstation-network/], is about. It's about barfing.

In Critter Crunch, you control a cute little, uh, critter with puny little stumps for legs. The object of the game, like a lot of puzzlers, is to line up like-colored objects to clear them out of a field and earn goodies - except the objects in this game are cute animals, and you clear them by feeding them other creatures lower than them on the food chain. You do that by sucking them up and then regurgitating them. In other words, barfing.

"It's exactly as cute as it is horrible and sad, just like nature itself!" said Kris Piotrowski, creative director at Capy, about his game. See even if the game flaunts a sickeningly cute aesthetic, fluid hand-drawn animation and some gorgeous 1080p HD visuals, it's not going to hide that it's about something totally gross. In fact, it flaunts it.

Critter Crunch will feature adventure and puzzle modes, as well as local and online multiplayer (versus and co-op), and will support trophies. Look for it some time this summer, and marvel and how adorable it is in the trailer here [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/05/12/critter-crunch-playstation-network/].

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
Critter Crunch: Barfing made cute
Fat Princess: Obesity made cute
Noby Noby Boy: Whatever the hell that was.....made cute.

Anyone else noticing a pattern?
We will have what Mr. Croshaw once said is "Cuteness to a weaponized level". The next WMD will be the cuteness bomb, capable of crippling a country's industry as all the workers will be too busy talking about how cute the bomb is.

As for the game it's a new way of pulling off the old concept of lining up three objects. We'll just have to wait and see if this new way works or fails.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:

It would be interesting to see a overly cute FPS.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Interesting.......

Really that's all I have to say. I think people are just trying to make games as bizzare as possible now.

NewGeekPhilosopher

Feb 25, 2009
Eric the Orange said:
Indigo_Dingo said:

My issue is not things being made cute, it's things being made Americanised in language. Where I come from we call it chundering, sounds much more ocker and true to what a euphemism for vomiting should be.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
NewGeekPhilosopher said:
Eric the Orange said:
Indigo_Dingo said:

My issue is not things being made cute, it's things being made Americanised in language. Where I come from we call it chundering, sounds much more ocker and true to what a euphemism for vomiting should be.
I didn't see any laguage at all in the tralior for this, so I don't know if it could be accused of that.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Eric the Orange said:
Indigo_Dingo said:

Wouldn't Serious Sam sort of fit the bill with it's cartoony art style? I haven't played the games myself, just asking...

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
scotth266 said:
Eric the Orange said:
Indigo_Dingo said:

Wouldn't Serious Sam sort of fit the bill with it's cartoony art style? I haven't played the games myself, just asking...
When I say overly cute I mean somthing that looks like it was marketed tword 5 year old girls.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Eric the Orange said:
scotth266 said:
Eric the Orange said:
Indigo_Dingo said:

When I say overly cute I mean somthing that looks like it was marketed tword 5 year old girls.
Well then, I'll tell someone to get right onto making Barbie: Adventures in the Bloodbath Abyss. It'll be a bestseller!

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
NewGeekPhilosopher said:
Eric the Orange said:
Indigo_Dingo said:

So you're complaining about the word 'barfing' because you think the word 'chundering' is more fitting?

How about spew, hork, blow chunks, do the Technicolor yawn? Any of those work for you?