Eidos Montreal GM Talks Thief 4

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Eidos Montreal GM Talks Thief 4

Thief 4 [http://www.eidosmontreal.com] project recently, saying he wants the game to "bring a lot of new things to the table."

Speaking with Game Developers Conference Canada [http://pc.ign.com/articles/982/982148p1.html], D'Astous said one of the most fundamental problems facing the team at this early stage is the uncertainty surrounding the future of the current and next generations of consoles. "There's some contradictory noise on when there's going to be the next generation, so we're going to be prudent on that one," he said. "So we're going to wait a couple of months to announce more about that. It's going to be cutting edge technology, that's for sure. It would be imprudent for us to say which console because, first of all, we don't know exactly the window of release and we don't know the first-party strategy."

And while he declined to discuss details, including whether or not we'll see a return of Garrett or voice actor Thief: The Dark Project [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Russell], the first title in the series, on the evolution of the stealth genre. "It's safe to say that there's an association of stealth games being boring and slow-paced. And we're fully aware of that," D'Astous said. "I think we'll try to repeat what the first game did, which is to really break ground on the traditional way of playing. And I think if we want to do a fully stealth game, it's going to be, I hope, very innovative and bring a lot of new things to the table."

"We want to bring something new to the table, because these games sold respectably [in the past], but we want to bring it to another level. We want to have a larger audience without diluting the content," he continued. "That is the real challenge, to bring it to a larger audience but without making it too easy or too thin on content. We're going to bring certainly a lot of innovation to both [Thief 4 and Deus Ex 3 [http://www.deusex3.com/]]."

Comments like that tend to make fans of the franchise nervous, particularly after the disappointment of Thief: Deadly Shadows [http://www.eidos.co.uk/gss/thief_ds/], the third and, so far, last chapter in the series. While not a bad game by any measure, it was a significant departure from the previous titles and took heat from the existing fanbase for its concessions to "accessibility" and the limits of the Xbox console. Nonetheless, D'Astous wasn't shy about his desire to try new things with the new game.

"People want to have a richer experience," he said. "They want to have choices in their gameplay and I think games are getting more and more sophisticated with storytelling, and I think we can certainly do something with that with Thief."

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Another game trying to be targeted to a larger audience and thus changed for the worse?
Will someone make the developers around the world stop? Please?

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Stealth games are boring and slow?
When I first played Thief: The Dark Project, I sat in one spot in the shadows of a corridor for at least 10 or 15 minutes without moving because I didn't know the guards patrol path and I was terrified to move. I certainly wasn't bored, and it certainly wasn't slow. It was about being sneaky, and being sneaky does not involve running really fast, jumping up walls, doing cool acrobatic tricks, and delivering snarky one-liners to women who are barely dressed.

There is a far greater thrill to be had sneaking past a guard then running into a room and blowing his head off or stabbing him through the face with a sword. Any dumbass can run-and-gun in a game, but stealth games are a different animal. It's not how high your kill count is, it's how low.

Personally, I hope they don't screw this up too much. And I really hope they can make a medieval/steam punk stealth game with no magic or supernatural crap. Please, for the love of crap, just make it not about some magic or supernatural crap.

kawligia

Feb 24, 2009
Stealth games ARE slow, but if you think they are boring, then you simply don't like stealth games.

When I'm pulling off a delicate maneuver and a guard suspiciously checks out my resting spot where I'm teetering on the edge of being caught or not, I find that more heart-pounding than even the biggest epic battles of any FPS out there. No other kind of game can keep me on the edge of my seat quite like that.

If there is any chance that I could survive with any measure of reliability through combat, the stealth aspect becomes a cheap accessory and is no longer exciting.

If they try to make combat anything other than a rare "Oh shit!" moment with absolutely no guarantee of success, it will be a rape-murder-suicide of the highest magnitude.

zifnabxar

Mar 1, 2009
People want to have a richer experience
Is he trying to say Thief DP did not have a rich experience? I can't think of a richer experience than The Dark Project unless we're counting Metal Age.

For all the catering they seemed to have be doing to the fans, they seem to have done an about-face.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
kawligia said:
Stealth games ARE slow, but if you think they are boring, then you simply don't like stealth games.
This is a very valid point. So is the one about marketing. I watched a few old trailers for Thief 3 while I was doing this and only one focused entirely on the stealth aspect; the rest featured brawls, swordfights, backstabs, flying arrows, blah blah blah, the kind of stuff that can be fun but really isn't at the core of stealth gameplay. Thief is legendary for a reason, and hopefully the devs will build from that rather than a notion that it needs to be "more accessible."

roekenny

Jun 17, 2008
I think what he trying to say is that yes can do stealth but to mix it up a bit how about some nice action packed parts what can't be avoided to mix it up a bit, you know like every man and his dog has been doing for last 2 generations. Only way can see how can improve thief is make maps more open have guards what's routes what not predictable and leave quick time events and combat sequences alone but as much chance of that happening as half-life ep 3 coming out this year.

Kevvers

Sep 14, 2008
I'm not so hot at reading between the lines, he's talking about being groundbreaking and innovative does this mean he's talking about taking the thief into a more action-type with stealth elements? Because that doesn't necessarilly have to be bad, I mean I killed most of the non-human pagan beasts in the last bit of thief 1 -- and it was pretty intense bit of interchanging between sneaky backstabbing, fierce swashbuckling and then running for it, which was fun. But I can see how it could seriously undermine the entire premise of the thief series. Probably the MOST fun I had in that game was the early levels robbing mansions an pulling daring heists on expert with minimal equipment and as little violence as possible.
This I feel should be the core thief experience and any innovation that departs from that premise spells disaster for me at least...

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
Malygris said:
kawligia said:
This is a very valid point. So is the one about marketing. I watched a few old trailers for Thief 3 while I was doing this and only one focused entirely on the stealth aspect; the rest featured brawls, swordfights, backstabs, flying arrows, blah blah blah, the kind of stuff that can be fun but really isn't at the core of stealth gameplay. Thief is legendary for a reason, and hopefully the devs will build from that rather than a notion that it needs to be "more accessible."
Agreed. I understand that offering options to players (action & stealth) caters to a wider audience, however, there are ways of exploring the stealth mechanic without necessarily abandoning the core experience.

Thief and Hitman are among my favorite (stealth) series due to how they've approached stealth in different manners.

Please maintain that...and drop the supernatural crap. :)

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
We'll have to see, I guess. Hopefully it'll be more like the first and less like the third (which is fun, but doesn't quite live up to the awesomeness of The Dark Project).

And what's everybody's problem with the supernatural elements? I loved the stuff about the Trickster and the mythology about him and the Hammerites and all that. I think it's a big part of Thief and hope it stays.

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
The early missions in the first and second games (never played the third) were definately my favourites. I loved the sneaking, the hiding, the stealing. You got a real sense of accomplishment.

I'd also like to echo the above posters who pointed out that "slow-paced" does not equal "boring", there are plenty of quick action games out there, Thief was different and should remain different.

Still, I have nightmarish visions of "Thief's Creed"...

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
I don't like the sound of a lot of what he's saying, but I'm going to hold back on pessimistic thoughts until we get more information than just the title (if that even is the final title, God forbid).

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
If Eidos wants to make Thief 4 work, they will hire the original team that was Looking Glass Studios, lock them in a basement and don't let them out until they have a Thief game we can recognize, know, and love, and go GLEE! over. Unfortunately, Eidos is not going to do that, they are going to give this project to some college grad twits who got through college on Halo and TF2. So we'll get a Garrett or somebody else with exploding arrows and ability to turn invisible. No, thank you.

Sol_HSA

was gaming before you were born
Nov 25, 2008
Based on some things they've said, it sounds like they don't even have the design team for 'thiaf' yet, so it's far too early to draw any conclusions.

Let's wait for some actual gameplay footage or some such. Which should arrive in late 2010, earliest..

rohit9891

Jan 21, 2009
I'm really looking forward for more footage from Deus Ex 3.Deus Ex was one of the best games I've played and the new "Nameless mod" for Deus Ex is getting very good reviews too.

elfnik

Feb 24, 2011
Listen Kiddos, if you dont like Thief franchise dont even talk about it. Simply forget about Thief title and stick with GTA - kinda games.
Now small introduction to today "games" and "gamers" (quoted with a reason). These days market is flooded with junk games which are mostly adored by the kids, result of that is probably profit. Game making industry became something similar like the music industry - make a pop song, with no quality, make it hit for a week/month GRAB the audience money, next song, next song etc......never ending cycle that creates pure garbage. Ideal for kids which cry to daddy to buy em the good new game with no story, no gameplay, no atmosphere...u got the point.
Now, lets get back to thief, and again, kids, before you think to comment about something which is OLDER thank you, fist, buy the game, play all 3 parts, or at least educate yourself before spilling out your guts. Here are few links about thief community (i doubt you knew that it exist):
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1036863436
http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=268

And, "Baby Tea" you are perfect example of new generation emo kids that dont know what they want. You justify everything I`ve said ;)