Steve Wiebe Could Win $10,000 In Quarters

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Steve Wiebe Could Win $10,000 In Quarters

Would-be Donkey Kong champion Steve Wiebe now has some incentive to take back the world record at this year's E3 aside from bragging rights and the respect of his peers. Stride Gum has offered him $10,001 in quarters if he wins.

A Fistful of Quarters? More like a truckload. Stride Gum is trying to reach that lucrative classic arcade gamer demographic by putting its money behind King of Kong hero Steve Wiebe to take back the Donkey Kong world record live on TV at this year's E3. And by money, I mean a whole hell of a lot of quarters. If Wiebe breaks Billy Mitchell's record, Stride will give him exactly $10,001 in 25 cent coins - that should be more than enough to buy a few games of Donkey Kong.

"Steve Wiebe is an inspiration to gamers everywhere, and we believe he truly deserves the title of Donkey Kong world champion," Gary Osifchin of Stride Gum said. "This is exactly the kind of long lasting endeavor that we here at Stride appreciate, and we have full confidence that Wiebe will once again surpass the million points mark and avoid the kill screen for long enough in the process."

UGO [http://gamesblog.ugo.com/games/exclusive-steve-wiebe-to-win-10-grand-in-quarters-if-he-breaks-dk-record] did the math that everybody else is too lazy to do, and figured that $10,001 worth of quarters comes out to exactly 40,004 quarters. A quarter weighs .0125 pounds according to the US Mint, which means Wiebe's potential prize would be about 500 pounds worth of quarters. I would hate to have to be the dude working at Wiebe's bank that has to deposit that many quarters into his account.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Is Billy "The Mullet" Mitchell really going to stand quietly to the side and let Weibe get all this attention?

Come on man! Get out there with your hot sauce and your pride, hold a press conference and let everyone know that if Weibe breaks your record you will immediately break back, on site, for 20,000 quarters. Then give it all to a hair care charity.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
I'm so glad those brave chaps at UGO multiplied 10,001 by four for us. That could have taken all night otherwise.

Sarcasm aside, that's kinda neat. If he wins he's going to need a helluva lot of these. [http://pro.corbis.com/images/42-17069036.jpg?size=572&uid={D84A1D43-61D8-4469-92F3-97DB3234F116}]

Sneaky Paladin

Jan 21, 2009
Keane Ng said:
"This is exactly the kind of long lasting endeavor that we here at Stride appreciate,
ha I see what they did there stride,longlasting get it?

Hope he does it

Smiles

Mar 7, 2008
Yeah! I am rooting for Steve, if he does do it...

I really hated that Billy guy...

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Freakout456 said:
Wait how many times has Steve Wiebe taken back his title isn't this like the 3rd time.
Well, let's see.

He set the record on that tape that he sent in (1), but it got disqualified so it doesn't really count, and then he set a new one at the end of the movie (2), and then lost that.

If you count the first record as a legitimate one then yes, if he gets it this time it would be the third.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Keane Ng said:
Freakout456 said:
Wait how many times has Steve Wiebe taken back his title isn't this like the 3rd time.
Well, let's see.

He set the record on that tape that he sent in (1), but it got disqualified so it doesn't really count, and then he set a new one at the end of the movie (2), and then lost that.

If you count the first record as a legitimate one then yes, if he gets it this time it would be the third.
yeah i consider that movie more of a way to prove that Billy should change his name to Richard

i hope Steve wins it

VoltySquirrel

Feb 5, 2009
cleverlymadeup said:
Keane Ng said:
Freakout456 said:
Well, let's see.

yeah i consider that movie more of a way to prove that Billy should change his name to Richard

i hope Steve wins it
I think Gary Oak is a bit more appropriate for Billy.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Keane Ng said:
"Steve Wiebe is an inspiration to gamers everywhere"
No, he isnt. Or at least I hope not. Chasing your dreams is one thing. Deluded obsession in having the highscore on a 30yr old arcade game is another.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
VoltySquirrel said:
cleverlymadeup said:
I think Gary Oak is a bit more appropriate for Billy.
ummm i think you're missing the joke, i'd explain it but that ruins the humour behind it

lizards

Jan 20, 2009
well thats a lot of fucking quaters he should go buy a car with that and give them all the quaters that would be hilarious

Dastardos

Jan 4, 2009
King of Kong was a good movie. For some reason I watched it during Speech at school. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

King of Kong 2?

Oh, and he should go to a wishing fountain at a mall, or one of those things (Can't think of the name of it, but you drop the quarter and it spins in a circle as it falls down the hole. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Its for charity or something I think.) and dump all the quarters in it.