Germany Drops Paintball Ban, Goes After Bomberman

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Germany Drops Paintball Ban, Goes After Bomberman

Germany has dropped its plan to outlaw paintball in favor of doing something even weirder: Authorities have charged a former politician with using Bomberman [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bomberman_(series)] to incite violence against Nazis.

We should probably start at the beginning. Last week it was reported [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91621-Germany-Wants-to-Ban-Paintball] that Germany's Social Democrat coalition government had settled on a proposal to outlaw "all games in which players shoot at each other with pellets," a measure which covers a lot of ground but is obviously aimed squarely at paintball. The decision was part of the ongoing reaction to the Winnenden school shooting in March, in which 15 students were killed.

But the proposal to ban the sport has now been dropped, according to GamePolitics [http://www.thelocal.de/national/20090514-19275.html]), although legislators are still considering other restrictions against paintball, such as increasing the age at which people can legally play the game. Paintball in Germany is currently restricted to people 18 years of age or older, and the site says players "generally" do not wear military fatigues when playing as they do in other countries.

What led to the change of heart? Perhaps it was common sense, or perhaps the German authorities were forced to divert their resources to more critical cases such as that of Martin Budich, who has been charged with invoking violent acts against Nazis by posting a Bomberman image on his website. The image, which was actually created by a group of leftist activists, shows Bomberman holding a cake with a fuse for a candle along with a message that roughly translates to, "No cakewalk for Nazis."

The problem? The image was posted to protest a demonstration by Nazis in October 2008, which was met with a counter-protest by left-wing opposition. Shockingly, outbursts of violence apparently took place when the two sides came together and because Bomberman's fuse-topped cake was obviously just a cleverly-disguised bomb meant to be thrown at the Nazi crowd, it was Budich's fault. And in case you think the charges will never stick, Negative Gamer [http://negativegamer.com/2009/05/13/german-ex-politician-charged-for-showing-bomberman-on-poster/] points out that Budich was convicted of similar charges in 2003 for using an anti-Nazi poster featuring a cartoon character aiming a slingshot.

And you thought Japan was strange.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
*sigh* just introduce a national Hug a Fascist under the happy German rainbow day already.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Well we certainly wouldn't want to hurt the Nazis' feelings. It's not like they've ever said or done anything mean to anyone.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
eh, k, wow. What, it's against the law to say you don't like a political group. Or was it a threat like, "we're gonna bomb your nazi headquaters". 'cause if thats the case they are really grasping at straws.

Mekkon

Apr 20, 2009
ElephantGuts said:
Well we certainly wouldn't want to hurt the Nazis' feelings. It's not like they've ever said or done anything mean to anyone.
... and now those poor kids will have a dilemma whether or not playing Bomberman is right!

GUILTY.

Apr 28, 2008
I thought that the Nazi group was outlawed in Germany and anyone who was a Nazi was jailed... or something like that.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
The cake also bears the Antifa logo which AFAIK is a group dedicated to using violence against neonazis. It's pretty clear that exploding cake refers to violence (or at least not passively standing nearby and waving a banner) and while I doubt the image specifically caused violence incitement is illegal anyway. Noone likes neonazis but they still have a right to demonstrate peacefully and without getting involved in a riot.

Tenmar said:
What the heck? Why of all mascots would you want to attack Bomberman? He is as timeless as the rest of the mascots of the NES era. Using bombs to overcome any problems is his thing and even lately he hasn't really used the bombs at all except for a very complicated version of tag.
It's not about Bomberman himself but an ad that includes him to invite people to assault a demonstration by Neonazis.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Ok, there is still a nazi party? This is news to me. after the whole war thing i wouldnt have thought they would be all that popular.
At leas the retarded ban on paintball has been lifted.

AlgorithMan

Jan 29, 2009
READ THIS:
As a german I'll translate what it says (with regards to content). It says "tough times for Nazis - stop the NPD demonstration!". NPD is a "nationalist" party (be careful what you call them...) - once we tried to outlaw them, but because of procedural error they were allowed to persist. Yes, we could try again, but new proceedings are blocked by some politicians (Wolfgang Schäuble being one of them - just saying... maybe you have heared of our Minister of the Interior who is also one of the major forces behind internet-censorship and massive extension of surveillance authorization)

Femaref

May 4, 2008
johnman said:
Ok, there is still a nazi party? This is news to me. after the whole war thing i wouldnt have thought they would be all that popular.
At leas the retarded ban on paintball has been lifted.
We actually have more than one nazi party... the NPD (Nationaldemokratische Partei Deutschlands - Nationaldemocratic Party of Germany) being the most popular. They (and others) have gained support, even enabling them to get into one or two state parliaments (germany has 16 states). It's a usual development... when things go tits up, people are more voting the extreme parties.

There were several attemps to ban the NPD which all failed... In my Oppinion, this could be the better thing, as it's more possible to observe them as they have to respond to federal instances, as they are registered party. If they go underground, it's even less possible to follow their actions.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
I thought Germany got rid of Nazis? Now they want to protect them? I'm VERY confused here.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
bernthalbob616 said:
I thought Germany got rid of Nazis? Now they want to protect them? I'm VERY confused here.
Maybe they're just Nazis minus all the symbolism. Which would make them The Badds from Bionic Commando.

Wayne Insane

May 14, 2009
Ok, let me say something about that.
Here in Germany, most of the People that are considered Nazis aren't really Nazis per se.
Most of them are as much of a Nazi as your average republican or conservatist.
But, living in Germany, you're immdiatly a Nazi. Yet, sadly there still are some real Nazis.
The problem is that you can't tell the difference. And that's why we can't forbid the Nazi party's. Coz there aren't "legally" Nazis. You see, after all the oppression and political insanity of the third reich, us Germans got a little sensitive about forbidding political party's or pretty much anything that seemed even the tinyest bit oppressive.But now, nearly seventy years after they were initially approved, those laws are kicking us in our own asses real good.Because, as long as those Nazi Partys don't openly resemble real Nazis (use of Swastikas, openly defamating minorities etc.) we can't stop them, coz that would break the rules we made after the War.Thats the Reason there are several immense left-wing underground movements in germany since the 70's working in socially accepted,open non-violent ways as well as in not-so-much accepted "let's destroy everything we see ways".And the violent wings of this organizations are well known for explosives-based attacks on Nazi demonstration as well as Nazi property.
And that's why bomberman is a big Deal.Coz it can be seen as an open cry for brutal violence.
And that's a no-no.