Serious Sam 3 Development Gets Serious

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Serious Sam 3 Development Gets Serious

Serious Sam 3 has recently started development over at Croteam, who report that the game is close to getting a publishing deal. For serious.

It's been a seriously long time since Serious Sam 2 showed just how serious a first-person shooter could get when you fill it with huge guns and huge amounts of ridiculous aliens to blow up. Since then, Croteam [http://www.croteam.com/] hasn't made a single peep regarding the third game in the series, at least until a couple days ago, when CEO Roman Ribaric revealed that the game is currently in the works and making some serious progress.

Apparently the reason Serious Sam 3 is taking so long is because Croteam has been busy creating its "new next-gen Serious Engine 3 technology," among other things. Currently, the team is working on three projects, two of which they only recently started development. One of those projects is Serious Sam 3. According to Ribaric, the studio is "pretty close in signing the publishing deal," which should be good news for series fans (or should I say, serious fans?).

Ribaric reports that "development is going great" and "we will soon have exciting things to show." Don't hold your breath though, as "a lot still has to be done, especially on the next Sam game, we don't have a firm release date on it yet." Aww, seriously?

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
Seriously Excellent!

The Serious Sam games have always been top notch....and the humor is excellent!

Sign me up for a preorder or ten.

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
I hope they are serious about keeping it true to the original.
I'll be seriously disapointed if this turns into a cashcow.

CosmicGrenade

Feb 11, 2008
Oh this has better be good and serious (or is that seriously good?)
I think it's about time that a plain and simple no brainer guns and guts game came out again
just wondering will the devs be big heads again?

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Digikid said:
Seriously Excellent!

Oh god, I cannot agree with you anymore. I loved the First Encounter, and the Second Encounter was even better!

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Seriously Amazing, and my first name is Sam, which has nothing serious to do with the game, but its a serious fun fact. Seriously though, sounds like serious fun.

VoltySquirrel

Feb 5, 2009
This seriously is on my radar, seriously. I played the original xbox port for a hell of a long time. Seriously.

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
Serious Sam will always be, in my mind, the true successor to Doom. No other game has given me that warm, fuzzy slaughter feeling that Doom gave me, with the exception of Serious Sam.

No other game has had a boss that even came close to the first encounter with a Cyberdemon, all those years ago in e2m8.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
I think we can expect to see some very impressive graphics coupled with excellent performance. When I played the first Serious Sam game, I was simply blown away how amazingly efficient the engine was. It ran perfectly on a athlon 1333mhz and geforce 2 and looked better than any other game by far, it had incredible draw distance and detailed textures.

The same thing happened with Serious Sam 2, which I ran on a athlon 64 3000+ and radeon 9800pro, max settings, silky smooth framerate and absolutely awesome graphics. It looked like a current gen game.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
I hope this is better than Serious Sam 2 was. I loved the first one and the 'expansion' thingy they did but I couldn't get in to SS 2, the lives thing was kind of quite a bit of a turn-off for me. If they do away with the lives system and bring back tons of the classic enemies and the huge bosses that take up the whole screen I'll be there for sure.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
Digikid said:
Seriously Excellent!

Oh god, I cannot agree with you anymore. I loved the First Encounter, and the Second Encounter was even better!
Huh? LOL!!!!!

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Digikid said:
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
Digikid said:
Seriously Excellent!

Huh? LOL!!!!!
Those be the First Two games. First Encounter = Original. Second Encounter = It's sequel.