Jailed Crime Bosses Stay On Top With PlayStation

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Jailed Crime Bosses Stay On Top With PlayStation

The PlayStations [http://www.soca.gov.uk/] and "interactive internet games" to maintain control of their criminal organizations from behind bars.

Bill Hughes, the director-general of the agency, said criminals are using coded messages in chat rooms to pass on their orders and that PlayStations are being used to play interactive games with people on the outside as well as to charge cellphones that were being smuggled into prisons.

"We know that one of the issues is that if you are locked up, how do you communicate with others? And we have been highlighting the fact it is not always with mobile telephones," Hughes said. "There is other technology used - people are using PlayStations to charge their mobile phones and are playing games interactively with others, so are able to communicate with them."

"The Prison Service is concerned that prisoners are using interactive games to talk to people outside the prison," he continued. "Communication is the name of the game and criminals are looking to exploit new technologies. Prisoners have rights and they have access to the internet."

The accusation resulted from a report by SOCA that it is currently monitoring 5000 "crime bosses" in the U.K. and elsewhere. "Many of the 5,000 are not in the U.K. but are impacting on the U.K. from overseas. Some are in prison running their organizations and we are working with colleagues in the Prison Service," said outgoing SOCA Chairman Sir Stephen Lander. "Recidivism among organized criminals is high. These are lifestyle choices for these people. They will go to prison and we need to find a way of making it more difficult for them to re-engage."

But Her Majesty's Prison Service [http://www.hmprisonservice.gov.uk/] strongly denied the allegations, claiming that prisoners did not have access to the "wireless enabled technology" available in some consoles. "A decision was taken some years ago that the then-current generation of games consoles should be barred because the capability to send or receive radio signals is an integral part of the equipment," a representative said.

I'm not sure which side of the console wars the U.K. prison system has taken but the use of the term "PlayStation" in this context sounds rather generic and not necessarily a reference to any of Sony's consoles. Regardless, it's comforting to know that even though I have no idea how to apply prison tattoos or make toilet wine, I now apparently possess a skill set that will help me survive if I ever land in the Big House.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article6280199.ece]

Jan 29, 2009
xmetatr0nx said:
Hmm puts things into a funny perspective, meaning that one time while playing on PSN and some guy threatens to kill you for winning, it might not be so much of an empty threat...

Haha, well hey crime bosses love to pwn noobs too.
Better yet, they get in a huge rivalry with a good player and forget about their goals, instead trying over and over to finally kill them.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
cobrausn said:
Um, why do prisoners have 'PlayStations'?
I was thinking that - why the hell do prisioner have access to those luxury goods? THEY'RE PRISONERS, Home Office, not hotel guests - if anything, hotels treat their customers worse than the jails.

CosmicGrenade

Feb 11, 2008
Onmi said:
Cures Cancer, Plays Games, Plays Blu-Rays and DVDs, Connects to Youtube, Wireless Net and the chance to meet Crime bosses!

What CAN'T the PS3 Do? (Responses with come at a reasonable price shall be met with a fly swatter. a 50 foot tall fly swatter)
They can only have the PS2, no xbox/360 no wii no ds no ps3. I know i've worked in a prison over here in england before

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
CosmicGrenade said:
Onmi said:
Cures Cancer, Plays Games, Plays Blu-Rays and DVDs, Connects to Youtube, Wireless Net and the chance to meet Crime bosses!

What CAN'T the PS3 Do? (Responses with come at a reasonable price shall be met with a fly swatter. a 50 foot tall fly swatter)
They can only have the PS2, no xbox/360 no wii no ds no ps3. I know i've worked in a prison over here in england before
Ok, but why do they get any consoles at all?

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
cobrausn said:
Um, why do prisoners have 'PlayStations'?
Because so many governments are fucking retarded, including mine. They give PRISONERS more stuff than hundreds of thousands of people can't have! For what? They should be working off their asses, not spend time playing games, going to gyms (yeah, we need more strong criminals...), USING CELLPHONES and playing basketball! I mean, are they imprisoned, or are they on a vacation?!

ILPPendant

Jul 15, 2008
Prisoners have "Playstations" because this isn't the nineteenth century where criminals are sent to prison for punishment, unfaithful wives are shut up in mental asylums and poor people worked to death to keep them off the streets.

Prison is not a place to punish people in. The loss of freedom itself is a punishment, not what happens inside. It's as simple as that and it still astounds me that people don't get it after decades of such a philosphy being the status quo in practically all civilised countries.

CosmicGrenade

Feb 11, 2008
Doug said:
CosmicGrenade said:
Onmi said:

Ok, but why do they get any consoles at all?
in my mind.... NO, but they have to buy them for themselfs

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
CosmicGrenade said:
in my mind.... NO, but they have to buy them for themselfs
Well I'm sure they could buy one with the money from when they were pimping people out or from that huge bank heist that they got loads of money from.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
ILPPendant said:
Prisoners have "Playstations" because this isn't the nineteenth century where criminals are sent to prison for punishment, unfaithful wives are shut up in mental asylums and poor people worked to death to keep them off the streets.

Prison is not a place to punish people in. The loss of freedom itself is a punishment, not what happens inside. It's as simple as that and it still astounds me that people don't get it after decades of such a philosphy being the status quo in practically all civilised countries.
Prison, ideally, should be for rehabilitation into regular society.
Can you tell me how someone playing video games is being rehabilitated to not slit someone's throat for their wallet? Or rob stores? Or rape women? Or assault their spouse? Or fight in gangs?

Prison IS punishment, and while the loss of freedom is a sense of punishment it kind of defeats the purpose when they are 'free' to play games or watch TV. It's like sending your kid to their room for misbehaving and their room is full of toys.
Put them to work, not to play.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Also, they said playstations, who's to say they're not all sharing one shabby PS1 with a dodgy power socket and a few scratched copies of stuff like FIFA 97, which will come up 'Disc Read Error - the disc may be dirty' every time there's any risk of a goal being scored.