Sign-Ups for The Escapist's TF2 Tournament now live

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Sign-Ups for The Escapist's TF2 Tournament now live

The Escapist community has been asking for a Team Fortress 2 Tournament for months now, so we hooked up with Razer to start our very own. The Escapist's Team Fortress 2 Tournament is now accepting team applications for 5v5 battles! So grab 4 of your friends and sign up HERE [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tournament/tf2/]. All team members MUST have an Escapist User name and Steam ID in order to participate. We are taking team applications until Friday, May 22nd at 11:59 EDT.

Again, please visit RAZER [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tournament/tf2/] will be giving away.

All of this and more can be found on The Escapist's TF2 forums, located HERE [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/index/519].

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
oh yeah, this should be good fun.... no crits is kinda odd, but yeah, i guess a lot of people tend to hate that aspect of the game. doesn't effect snipers and spies headshots and backstabs, though, i would imagine? either way, looking forward to this!

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Ugh, looks like I'm not going to be able to play. Too much exam overlap. If only it had come a week later :/

SirSchmoopy

Apr 15, 2008
Wait what? Crits are off? Pass. Completely removes an element of the game that made for exciting fun.

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
Oh blimey... I want to participate but I don't have any team mates! So if anyone needs an extra player, I am a decent pyro and a pretty handy spy. I will be more than happy to help any team :)

Edit: Never mind, i found the appropriate thread :)

Meatstorm

Jan 4, 2009
SirSchmoopy said:
Wait what? Crits are off? Pass. Completely removes an element of the game that made for exciting fun.
I disagree at that, the random crits may somepoints be very frustrating and no multiplayer game should rely on luck, atleast not as much as changing the tide of the entire battle.

Sure they are really fun when youre the one getting a crit rocket at enemy mob.

SirSchmoopy

Apr 15, 2008
Meatstorm said:
SirSchmoopy said:
I disagree at that, the random crits may somepoints be very frustrating and no multiplayer game should rely on luck, atleast not as much as changing the tide of the entire battle.

RND is what set this game a part. Crits do not make or break players but they do give edges in battle and made team forest two. Shooting a rocket and having it crit or getting those 5 seconds of crits on a heavy and just plowing through your opponents is what made this game so much fun for the casual gamer.

Taking that away just kinda turns me off from the game. I played on non crits servers and they do not feel the same at all.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
There are two sides to the "crits". Some people feel as though they are fun but shouldn't be used in tournament play because it takes "skill" out of the equation. Others feel it's part of the game in general which makes it fun. We'll look into it further.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
While your re-evaluating the crit situation I'd also like to point out maybe reconsidering the ban on unlockables. While I'm sure you came up with that rule because they can provide an "unfair" advantage because some players don't have them, their presence also adds another layer of strategy to the game.. Just a thought.

SirSchmoopy

Apr 15, 2008
Spinwhiz said:
There are two sides to the "crits". Some people feel as though they are fun but shouldn't be used in tournament play because it takes "skill" out of the equation. Others feel it's part of the game in general which makes it fun. We'll look into it further.

To me, once you start taking the core game and applying a "Special" rule set you take away from the Tournament. If you say such and such is fair but such and such isn't then you are re balancing a game that is already perfectly fine. Some classes do MUCH better with crits then without. Scouts/Engineers/Spys/Snipers are all more powerful with crits turned off as they either don't require them for their abilities or have a better survival rate with less random crits flying around.

It's completely up to you guys but I personally just would not find any enjoyment with an in house tournament where the rule set is not the default playstyle of a majority TF2 players. It's a completely different game with crits off.

indeed777

May 19, 2009
I'm kind of surprised by the tournament format. It seems that you're running a certain number of Chicago based servers for the matches? Why not let the server config be open so folks running their own servers can run their matches at their leisure? Just require demos to be submitted with win/loss results.

Also, 5v5 seems like a weird choice. The staple of the TF2 competitive community is 6v6 with unlocks (except the Sandman) allowed.

Meatstorm

Jan 4, 2009
SirSchmoopy said:
Meatstorm said:
SirSchmoopy said:

RND is what set this game a part. Crits do not make or break players but they do give edges in battle and made team forest two. Shooting a rocket and having it crit or getting those 5 seconds of crits on a heavy and just plowing through your opponents is what made this game so much fun for the casual gamer.

Taking that away just kinda turns me off from the game. I played on non crits servers and they do not feel the same at all.
Each to his own likings.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
SirSchmoopy said:
Spinwhiz said:

To me, once you start taking the core game and applying a "Special" rule set you take away from the Tournament. If you say such and such is fair but such and such isn't then you are re balancing a game that is already perfectly fine. Some classes do MUCH better with crits then without. Scouts/Engineers/Spys/Snipers are all more powerful with crits turned off as they either don't require them for their abilities or have a better survival rate with less random crits flying around.

It's completely up to you guys but I personally just would not find any enjoyment with an in house tournament where the rule set is not the default playstyle of a majority TF2 players. It's a completely different game with crits off.
The least I can do for everyone is look into it. :) As I said, this is our first tournament of this type, so rules can change a bit if we feel we are limiting the game, people and fun.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Vanguard1219 said:
While your re-evaluating the crit situation I'd also like to point out maybe reconsidering the ban on unlockables. While I'm sure you came up with that rule because they can provide an "unfair" advantage because some players don't have them, their presence also adds another layer of strategy to the game.. Just a thought.
I can understand that but your reasoning is correct. We want to have a level playing field as possible and make it fun for everyone, not just TF2 vets.