Take-Two Sues 3D Realms, Miller Denies Rumors

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Take-Two Sues 3D Realms, Miller Denies Rumors

3D Realms [http://www.take2games.com/] CEO Scott Miller says the studio "didn't get a penny of that money."

Take-Two says it paid $12 million for the exclusive publishing rights to the long-awaited FPS all the way back in 2000 and had entered into a second, unspecified agreement with Apogee in 2007, according to Bloomberg [http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=a5LJCCRIwYg0]. But after 12 years in development, Apogee - better known as 3D Realms - closed its doors without producing the game, breaching its agreement with Take Two.

"Apogee continually delayed the completion date for the Duke Nukem Forever," Take-Two said in its complaint. "Apogee repeatedly assured Take-Two and the video-gaming community that it was diligently working toward competing development of the PC Version of the Duke Nukem Forever." Take-Two asked that Apogee be ordered to keep the "existing source and object code" intact and confidential, and that it deliver a copy of that code to Take-Two to ensure its safekeeping during the course of the proceedings.

But in a brief response on Shacknews [http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?id=19924013#itemanchor_19924013], Miller denied the claim, saying the money didn't go toward the game's development. "We didn't get a penny of that money," he said. "This, along with so much else, is 100% spin, being eaten up by those who have no clue whatsoever. But, we cannot talk yet. We will, soon..."

Separately, Miller also denied [http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?id=19932664#itemanchor_19932664] a rumor that Take-Two had offered $30 million to buy out the rights to the Duke Nukem franchise; in response to a forum user who said he would have sold the rights to Duke Nukem "in a heartbeat" and used the money to create a new IP, Miller wrote, "Hell, I would have also!"

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Now this is getting interesting, I wonder where it will go from here.

I say Take-Two should still sue them for mental, and emotional damages for the game not being released.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
It's pretty disheartening to see them picking over the bones of the discarded carcass that is Duke Nukem Forever. It's like watching your puppy get hit by a car and then having the driver argue with the cops, your father, you, etc. over what he owes you.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
something is fishy here, tho the court case will be funny "oh look here's us sending you the cheque and look here's evidence of you cashing it"

sux the game has really lived up to the name everyone gave it. it's also now the god of vapourware

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Sounds to me like 3d realms went down the path of the darkside and are paying for it now. Falsifying your economic records, bad thing billy.

SirMax

Dec 24, 2008
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Now this is getting interesting, I wonder where it will go from here.

I say Take-Two should still sue them for mental, and emotional damages for the game not being released.
Hell, I'd get in on that. Make it a class action.

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
cleverlymadeup said:
something is fishy here, tho the court case will be funny "oh look here's us sending you the cheque and look here's evidence of you cashing it"

sux the game has really lived up to the name everyone gave it. it's also now the god of vapourware
Duke Nukem Forever for the Phantom! A match made in (and apparently from) the ether!

@all - 'Tis sad and messy, mesy stuff. There's just no tellin' what actually went down, and even more annoying, we'll probably never know the truth of it.

I will say this: It does not behoove Take Two to sue one of their publishing partners unless there's some serious infraction. Just food for thought.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Things are looking more than serious for the Duke. At this point, if we want a Duke game, we'd better just make our own.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
scotth266 said:
Things are looking more than serious for the Duke. At this point, if we want a Duke game, we'd better just make our own.
you know the original duke was a sidescrolling shooter, so thats not too un-dukeable. Except for the whole liscencing thing.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
scotth266 said:
you know the original duke was a sidescrolling shooter, so thats not too un-dukeable. Except for the whole liscencing thing.
Make a new character that's a cross between Duke Nukem and Johnny Bravo. Lots of fun hilarious material there.