No More Heroes Dev Working With Square?

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
No More Heroes Dev Working With Square?

Grasshopper Manufacture, the studio behind brazenly weird games like Killer7 and No More Heroes, may be working with Square-Enix on an unannounced project.

For a self-proclaimed "video game band" boasting the motto "Punk's Not Dead," Grasshopper Manufacture, the makers of Killer7 and No More Heroes, sure seem to be working with a lot gigantic companies. Their latest act of selling their punk credibility (I kid) to soulless money-grubbing corporations? A partnership with none other than Japanese mega-publisher Square-Enix.

list [http://www.siliconera.com/2009/05/18/grasshopper-manufacture-working-with-square-enix/] of the company's "primary business partners." Aside from Microsoft and Sony, every company on the list has or will be publishing a Grasshopper Manufacture game.

The only anomaly? Square-Enix. They're on the list but haven't published a Grasshopper game, which, to any conclusion-jumping mind, would imply that they will be doing so sometime in the future. This would seem like a bizarre partnership for anyone familiar with both parties. Grasshopper makes obtuse, arguably un-commercial and unarguably weird [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A22Nkt_fDBc] games, by any cultural standards. Square-Enix makes and publishes bestselling monoliths of money making.

Let's not forget, however, that Grasshopper is no stranger to partnerships with huge corporate entities. Studio mastermind Suda51 is working on a horror game with Resident Evil creator Shinji Mikami, to be published by none other than Electronic Arts. On top of that, sometimes they just need to make money, which in the past has meant doing Shining Soul for Sega or Fatal Frame for Tecmo. You can't be punk 24/7. You would starve.

Square-Enix, meanwhile, has been doing everything it can in recent times to diversify its portfolio, from publishing war strategy games to Geometry Wars-style shooters [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91130-Square-Enix-Unveils-Project-Cube]. So it could be a fruitful partnership for both companies, and hopefully a fruitful one for gamers as well.

MrPop

May 14, 2009
Interesting development. Although I was more interested to hear that they are also developing a horror game with Shinji Mikami >.>

The Brian J

Apr 18, 2009
Oh man.

The Money Making Mastery of Square-Enix and the Wild Wonderful Weirdness of Suda51?

That could lead to something really, really awesome.

Khazoth

Sep 4, 2008
Yay, brightness and creativity meet blandness and homogenized. Square Enix has a set formula for making money and I think creativity might be detrimental to that.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Am I the only one thinking this will end badly?
I'm seeing an RPG that contains nothing but grinding.
Or maybe a Kingdom Hearts game with "wait on line at disneyworld" minigames.

Suda 51 is like the Uwe Boll of games, I want to like his games but they're just so horrible. Maybe Boll should make games and Suda should make movies.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
Am I the only one thinking this will end badly?
I'm seeing an RPG that contains nothing but grinding.
Or maybe a Kingdom Hearts game with "wait on line at disneyworld" minigames.
or maybe they'll play off of each others' strengths instead of weaknesses.

i'm expecting something like TWEWY, only a lot more badass.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Onmi said:
Oh I was about to say 'Cue merciless bitching' but I feel it's allready been cued. In short do you guys know what a publisher is? It's not like they go "Superstar team up lets mix games!" they go "You make games and we put them out there since our name means money and we get a cut"
Exactly. This is still cool enough, but Suda working with Mikami and others is more interesting.

God bless you Suda, God bless you.