The Slim PS3 Mystery

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
The Slim PS3 Mystery

If last week's leaked photos of a new slim model of the PS3 seemed dubious to you, consider this: a Chinese company has issued a cease-and-desist on the images, lending some credence to the idea that the device is actually for real.

Last week a number of photos revealing what looked to be a new slim model of the PlayStation 3 leaked online. The pictures, which showed a thin new design boasting 120 GB of memory, led some people to get their hopes up for a new PS3 and others to shake their heads in skepticism.

I'm in the latter category. Having grown up in the bootleg-infested wiles of Chinatown and having spent a not insignificant amount of time in college studying contemporary China, I think I know a cheap knockoff when I see one. The lack of Spider-Man font on the box sealed the day for me: this is not a Sony product.

There might just be a chance that the "slim PS3" is for real, though. Yesterday Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/18/slim-ps3-update-mysterious-chinese-firm-issues-a-cease-and-desi/] revealed that they'd been issued a cease-and-desist letter from a Chinese company requesting they take down the images and "keep our request confidential."

The blog did neither, but instead speculated that whenever companies send cease-and-desist letters about leaked images of supposedly non-existent devices, it basically means that the device actually exists. Why else would you feel the need to cover it up, right?

However. The letter did not come from Sony directly, but from the company that apparently manufactures these "machines." That suggests two things, to my mind. It could mean that Sony doesn't want to shut the leak because they're actually smart enough to know if they do it'll imply there's something worth covering up. Or, it could mean that this Chinese company is afraid that if the pictures get any more publicity, Sony's lawyers might just notice that they're making PS3 bootlegs and will release the hounds on them.

Call me a skeptic, but once again, I'm inclined toward the latter.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Those cease-and-desist letters gimme the impression that someone finally got their act together and has started censoring hoax news.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
"ex-nay on the limsay...shhh"

I like the bootleg theory, just because it'd be the most interesting follow-up.

Although, if there was a PS3 Slim on the way, I would hope it'd be accompanied by a price drop. *crosses fingers*

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
It looks more like the packaging they used for the Sega Master System.
I thought it was a chinatown knockoff the second I saw it.
They probably will come out with a ps3 slim eventually but they haven't refined the tech in the box that nicely yet.

Prvt.Church

May 14, 2009
I call bullsh*t on this being actual licensed Sony mech.
It just doesn't seem real, and I don't give a crap about consoles so don't call me biased against it.

galaxygamer

May 23, 2008
I have a feeling the images are of a cheap knock-off. Now I will say that the only thing that is keeping me from buying the PS3 is the size, and price. If Sony could just shrink the system a little bit, and bring the price down by at least $50, I'd totally buy that system.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
galaxygamer said:
I have a feeling the images are of a cheap knock-off. Now I will say that the only thing that is keeping me from buying the PS3 is the size, and price. If Sony could just shrink the system a little bit, and bring the price down by at least $50, I'd totally buy that system.
Size...? The size is why many PS3 owners love their system even more, The size is nice and comfy.

Vriggchan

Jun 18, 2009
i really hope its fake, Sony has an awesome reputation of having everything sony and if u impede on that. theyll kill you, your family, your friends, their family, their friends, and everyone.