Mario Kart Helps Kids Not Text While Driving

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Mario Kart Helps Kids Not Text While Driving

A school in Eagle County, Colorado is trying to teach students the dangers of sending text messages while driving - via Mario Kart Wii.

Ever try to text and drive at the same time? Hopefully no, you haven't, because you're not an idiot. But if you ever have, you'd know it's very, very difficult, and can cause more car crashes among young drivers than even the oft-blamed driving-while-on-the-phone. So in order to attempt to teach would-be drivers how very dangerous it can be, Vail Christian High School opted for a similar - but much less potentially lethal - experience: Mario Kart Wii.

Well, okay, in real life the drivers won't have to deal with avoiding green shells and banana peels, let alone dodging Thwomps, but the concept is the same. So far, it seems to be working: "I ran into a lot of things and it was very stressful," said 13-year-old Alli O'Brien. "I don't think I'll text."

Vail Christian High School is one of twenty schools around the United States partaking in a contest sponsored by National Youth Traffic Safety Month, where the school with the winning program will be awarded $10,000.

Let's just hope that the course doesn't inadvertently teach some less positive things. Remember, kids, in real life there's no such thing as a Starman.

(Joystiq [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/05/19/mario-kart-teaches-kids-dangers-texting-while-driving])

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
It's a good idea but I'm not gonna lie, I've texted while driving before and although I've never tried texting while Mario-Karting, I can imagine it being a thousand times more difficult.

Lazzi

Apr 12, 2008
I like it.

Yes we all know the Mii montion control is as accurate as a real car/horse and buggy/turtle. However the fustration created during playing is an effective deturent.

Becuase these are middle school aged children, the fustration should have more of an effect.

FaelarLaelither

May 17, 2009
Oh no, my friend. What you avoid in real life is far, FAR worse than green shells and bananas.

You must avoid it- it is dangerous, and it is common. It is...an idiot.

Beetlejooce

Dec 26, 2008
The point is they have to focus on driving as well as texting.

It's not saying that Mario driving and real driving are the same thing, it's just trying to prove that it's hard to focus on two things.

Although a more realistic option would be to make the kids play Mario Kart while they were driving the car and film it to see what happens. Could say it's scientific or something.

Nomad

Dire Penguin
Aug 3, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Ever try to text and drive at the same time? Hopefully no, you haven't, because you're not an idiot. But if you ever have, you'd know it's very, very difficult
Yes I have, and no, it's not difficult. You press one button, look up, press one button, look up, press one button. Also, you don't do it in the middle of the city with a car half a meter ahead of you. Also, you don't drive in 200km/h when you do it, so mario kart is not really representative as someone pointed out.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Well, while it might not be the best representation of driving, the man is trying to prove a point: texting while driving is BAD and attention-diverting.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Why would he keep 1 habd on the wheel and 1 hand on the phone? It would be easier to place the phone between your hand and the wheel? Makes more sense no?

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Well, okay, in real life the drivers won't have to deal with avoiding green shells and banana peels, let alone dodging Thwomps
Shame.
The accident rate would skyrocket but I'm sure the enjoyment of driving to work would easily compensate for that.

Seriously though, its not a bad idea, its best kids find out how dangerous it is too drive when distracted BEFORE they try it on the road.
Best they learn somewhere where the only consequence is losing a race, instead of learning it as they are wrapped around a fence.