The Best and Worst Wii Accessory Ever

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The Best and Worst Wii Accessory Ever

Pega has unleashed upon the world what may very well be the most awesomely ill-conceived gaming accessory of all time: A Dart Game Kit that converts your Wii Remote [http://www.nintendo.com/wii/what/controllers] into a giant dart.

For just ten bucks plus a little bit for shipping, the PDC World Championship Darts 2008 [http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.23832], although I would guess that compatibility is not in the least bit dependent upon the addition of fins and a tip to a standard Wiimote.

The manual emphasizes, in charmingly amusing Engrish [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engrish], the kit's many safety features. The Wii Dart Game Kit is made from "EVA + ABS material," which, along with the included wrist strap, "can avoid to make the hurt for the people and crispness goods when operate failed which is very safety, and have a good sense of reality." The instructions also include several similarly-mangled warnings about the proper operation and maintenance of the conversion kit, not one of which mentions the fact that despite your controllers's new, aerodynamic appearance, you shouldn't actually throw the damned thing.

That, of course, is the point at which the horror and the awesomeness collide. It should go without saying that just because your Wii [http://www.wii.com] controller looks vaguely like a dart it hasn't actually become one, yet we all know that somewhere out there is a bonehead who's going to buy this thing, snap his Wiimote into it and fire it at his television.

Maybe his fingers will be sweaty, or maybe he'll be drunk; whatever excuse he gives his friends when the story inevitably gets out, the bottom line is, his Wii controller will be smashed. Maybe his television will be smashed. Maybe whatever the controller hits after it bounces off the television will be smashed. Maybe whatever the cat knocks over when it tries to get away from all this flying, smashing crapola will be smashed.

The important thing is, stuff will be smashed.

This controller kit is such an awful idea on every possible level that it somehow manages to transcend badness and become something else entirely. Not "good," exactly; more like a retail version of the sort of misfortune that's funny when it happens to someone else. Shrink-wrapped schadenfreude, maybe? I never thought the Wii dumbbells [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88896-The-Riiflex-Get-A-Workout-Smash-Your-Furniture] would be surpassed as "Most Accidentally Destructive Videogame Accessory Ever," but I really think we might have a new champ on our hands.

via: Kombo.com [http://wii.kombo.com/article.php?artid=14154]

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
I think the worst are the "Wii Vibrators" etc this is just a more novel way to throw away the Wii.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
What I need to know is this.

When I load it into the launcher and fire it at some passer by, will it track properly, or do I need the Wii motion plus for that?

level250geek

Jan 8, 2009
Can we pre-load the YouTube searches now, so on launch day all we have to do is click "go" and watch the fail ensue?

GodsOneMistake

Jan 31, 2009
Oh my god... Can we please not be idiots. I think Nintendo gives the majority of the public too much credit.

axnxgxixe

Apr 23, 2009
...wow...

Pebsy said:
wow whats next, a wii bow and arrow?
I know they have a crossbow attachment (not the zapper)

...yea...the only good peripherals I can think of are the classic controller(which technically shouldn't count as an accessory since it is a seperate controller) and the zapper. That actually helps you hold the wiimote and nunchuck and it gives it a good feel for shooting games. But outside of that I can't really think of any real reason for anything else or any possible future necessities...

tenlong

Apr 26, 2009
someone will get hit with it. i almost see in the news now that someone major injuries because of it.

branalvere

May 18, 2009
I think it's fantastic. I mean the thought of a dart the size of a mortar shell is funny enough without a wii remote being thrown into the mix. I wait with baited breath for the wii rubber cock accessory...

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Aaaaand someone has likely tried to actually use the Wiimote with Nunchuck attachment as a pair of nunchucks. There was most likely pain involved.

I'm not so suprised by this, and I won't be suprised when they're sued by shmucks who damage their TVs with them.

YurdleTheTurtle

Mar 23, 2009
...What?

How...who came up....was this even a plausible...

Why did...?

What the heck!?!? Not only is this a terrible business decision, but if it actually succeeds it making a profit I'm going to lose (more) hope in humanity. Seriously, what the crap? I don't know what's more sad, the people who came up with this, or the people who buy this. Actually, probably the people who buy this.

TinyMAG

May 7, 2009
i think we're all missing the big picture here....this attachment is only a distraction from the REAL problem, that being that a developer actually went through the trouble of programming a "championship darts" game....WTF? nobody plays darts anymore...cept fat drunk guys bored in some tavern. i mean they created this add-on with the assumption that a game that is being released directly to the bottom of the $1 bargain bin, is even going to sell....i mean seriously....who is their demographic for this travesty toward gaming???

justblues

Jan 11, 2009
TinyMAG said:
i think we're all missing the big picture here....this attachment is only a distraction from the REAL problem, that being that a developer actually went through the trouble of programming a "championship darts" game....WTF? nobody plays darts anymore...cept fat drunk guys bored in some tavern. i mean they created this add-on with the assumption that a game that is being released directly to the bottom of the $1 bargain bin, is even going to sell....i mean seriously....who is their demographic for this travesty toward gaming???
your right it'll just join the ranks of the other half ass games like pool and table tenis both that i belive have attachment just like the dart.

CircuitDruid

May 19, 2009
GodsOneMistake said:
Oh my god... Can we please not be idiots. I think Nintendo gives the majority of the public too much credit.
are you sure your giving Nintendo enough? If I could come up with a way to get customers to regularly smash their own controllers and need to replace them I'd go for it, sounds ridiculously profitable...
Hell If I could invent a game system that had its users flailing around their arms around at the TV like lunatics I'd go for it too, think of how silly that would look....

oh wait, that ideas taken already... dam.

On a side note, the REAL point of darts is that they are sharp, and make holes in the wall when you miss... something tells me the vidiogame version will not qualify... unless this attachment is sharper than its demographic.

megalomania

Apr 14, 2009
I think you are all missing the funniest possible out come of this fantastic piece of kit;

Home video of Wii ADHD boy throwing Wii Dart at Wii ***** sister and pinning her to the wall (please substitute Wii / wee where necessary (wee = little, for the non Scots among you))

WIN.