The Queen Gets a Gold-Plated Wii

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The Queen Gets a Gold-Plated Wii

What kind of game console do you give to someone who is, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her Other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith? Why, the gold-plated kind, of course.

It's not easy picking out a nice gift for your ruling monarch. Big house, nice cars, crown jewels, titular leadership of a globe-spanning Commonwealth; these are tough acts to follow. But the guys at Wii [http://www.thq.com] designed exclusively for Her Royal Highness, Elizabeth II.

The special Wii was given to the Queen to mark the launch of Big Family Games [http://www.thq-games.com/uk/game/show/5201/Big%20Family%20Games], THQ's new collection of "24 unique twists on classic neighborhood games," including golf, tennis, lawn darts and horseshoes, that comes out on May 22. Along with the Wii itself, Her Majesty was also given one of the first copies of Big Family Games, which she can enjoy alone or with Philip, Charles and the rest of the Royal Brood.

"Big Family Games is the ultimate Wii game to get all family members, from grandparents to young children, playing together. The Royal Family is arguably the most important family in the country so we felt that they had to have a copy of the new game," said THQ's Danielle Robinson. "But we thought that Her Majesty the Queen wouldn't want to play on any old console, so an extra-special gold one was commissioned. We hope that she and the rest of the Royal Family enjoy the game!"

Now wasn't that a nice gesture? I can't keep myself from saying it: Wii are amused [http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/401800.html].

Source: Pocket-lint [http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/news.phtml/24245/gallery/queen-gets-gold-plated-wii-1.html]

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I wounder how many wii motes they gave her? It will look silly if she only has one set that's gold plated and the other 3 are just regular looking. I wonder if she can put the umm... wiimote condom on the mote without messing up the gold.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Malygris said:
"Big Family Games is the ultimate Wii game to get all family members, from grandparents to young children, playing together. The Royal Family is arguably the most important family in the country so we felt that they had to have a copy of the new game," said THQ's Danielle Robinson. "But we thought that Her Majesty the Queen wouldn't want to play on any old console, so an extra-special gold one was commissioned. We hope that she and the rest of the Royal Family enjoy the game!"
Right, because apparently, Big Family Games is the hottest piece of shovelware out on the market today, and we're sure that the Royal Family can enjoy the hunk of shit game because of their naivety.

Fuck You Nintendo and what you have done to the game industry.

grinklehi

Sep 10, 2008
Ohhh, Shiny Wii... Ugh, that sounded bad.

Well, If Her Royal Majesty's Entertainment supplier is smart, he'll go out and buy a game for her that isn't a mini-game compilation before she asks parliament to ban the system from the U.K. because of a piece of shovelware. Just don't Give her Fire Emblem, the size of the Begnion Empire might just give her Imperialistic Ideas.

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
The gold plating is probably to compensate for the piece of shitty shovelware that goes with it... I mean, Big Family Games, what the hell...

ix_tab

Apr 25, 2009
Ok, given that my mum rang me to tell me that she'd used 'the google', and she's in her early 50's, what do you think the response to the Wii will be from a woman in her 80s who is all about, you know, ruling in name only, and not playing family friendly games?

I demand footage of the Queen playing this. Would be freakin epic.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
RetiarySword said:
That is the stupidest thing ever. Ever ever ever ever!
I think it's actually pretty smart, at least as a marketing move. They will get lots of free coverage for what's actually a pretty marginal cost compared to a full marketing campaign.

As for plating a Wii in gold though... uh yeah.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Marvellous, another item to place in one's assorted tat from commoners seeking to promote themselves hall, perhaps the Science Museum would like it...

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
buy teh haloz said:
Malygris said:
Right, because apparently, Big Family Games is the hottest piece of shovelware out on the market today, and we're sure that the Royal Family can enjoy the hunk of shit game because of their naivety.

Fuck You Nintendo and what you have done to the game industry.
Hey man, the game industry is exactly the same as it's always been, it's just bigger now.