Resident Evil: Director's Cut Hits PlayStation Network Next Week

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Resident Evil: Director's Cut Hits PlayStation Network Next Week

Proving Capcom's devotion to rereleasing classic titles on the PlayStation Network, the company has revealed plans to launch a downloadable version of Resident Evil: Director's Cut next week.

The game, which originally appeared on the very first PlayStation (and was one of the first games to promote the joys of the then-new DualShock controller), will be available for download on May 28 for $9.99.

Capcom's official announcement [http://www.capcom-unity.com/mattd/blog/2009/05/22/resident_evil_directors_cut_ps1__coming_to_psn_may_28] doesn't offer any details on what upgrades the game might see. Sadly, in this case that probably is not an indication of the company being coy, but evidence that there are no upgrades planned for the nearly 12-year-old title.

No doubt good news for those angry nerds who despise any sort of change to their beloved childhood icons, but a bit of a bummer for those of us who own fancy televisions.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
My God! This is great news. I can't wait to see what other classics that may be put on the PSN. I LOVE YOU CAPCOM!

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Dale Cooper said:
Would have loved this to be on the 360 as well.
Not likly, but perhaps you Dale, the Master of Unlocking, can use this somehow to make it happen.

Before you become a Dale sandwhich.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Would be nice but 10 dollar? 10 Dooolllahh?

For that kind of money I could get anything I want ;D

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
zoozilla said:
So what exactly was so "Director's Cut" about this Director's Cut?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil_(video_game)#Director.27s_Cut

An updated version of Resident Evil for the PlayStation, titled Resident Evil: Director's Cut, was released in September 1997, 18 months after the original release. Director's Cut was produced to compensate for the delay of the sequel, Resident Evil 2, and was originally bundled with a playable demo of that game.

The main addition is the inclusion of an 'Arranged' mode featuring new camera angles, different item and enemy placement, a more powerful handgun and new default outfits for Chris, Jill, and Rebecca. The original game is included, with a new "Beginner" setting where the amount of ammunition available is doubled. One of the new features in the Director's Cut, a zombified version of Bravo team member Forest Speyer, was kept in all later re-releases and in the GameCube remake.

StigmataDiaboli

May 18, 2009
Awesome. Capcom are starting to be one of the best game companies out there today (Street Fighter IV, Resi 5, Megaman 9). And its re-releasing little bits of gold like this that'll make them even bigger.

Wayne Insane

May 14, 2009
I was like "awww, I wanna have that for xbla" but then I started thinking and realised that I already own three versions and the gc remake.
Guess I don't need it.

The-Big-D

Feb 4, 2008
Amazing game. I have the remake so its all ok.
The bad voice acting though will always be remebered.

"That was too close, you where almost a Jill sandwich!"

Priceless :p

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
StigmataDiaboli said:
Awesome. Capcom are starting to be one of the best game companies out there today (Street Fighter IV, Resi 5, Megaman 9). And its re-releasing little bits of gold like this that'll make them even bigger.
Starting?