163: Backstage with Tim Schafer

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
Lord Rick said:
Schafer is one of my gaming heroes. My copies of Grim Fandango and Psychonauts are no more than a few feet away from me, as ever. I'll be there waiting for Brutal Legend, regardless of when it finally reaches us.
I wish I had my copy of GF close at hand. Unfortunately the first disc on my copy crashes after the opening cinematic.

mikekearn

Erudite Loquaciousness
Aug 27, 2008
"I guess I think of it more as making an amusement park, like a haunted house. You're kind of writing instructions for the mummy who's hiding in the closet to jump out at people, if the mummy could talk, and also if he wasn't necessarily scary - if he was funny instead. And not a mummy."

This is why I love Tim Schafer. He's not just crazy, he's also hilarious. And makes a good game. But that's mostly because he's crazy and hilarious, rather than in spite of it.

Being a relative newcomer to the world of games, Grim Fandango was one of my first experiences in the point and click adventure games. And it was brilliant, amazing, fun, and a total mind screw for a 10 year old. I still play it today (except my second CD got a scratch somewhere, and I can't finish the third act anymore ;_; ).

Later, playing Psychonauts was one of those defining and memorable gaming experiences. Even with a difficulty curve that made zero sense, it was still ridiculous fun. Great characters, wonderful art design, and interesting levels helped make it a classic, as far as I'm concerned.

I am totally looking forward to Brütal Legend (extraneous metal umlaut and all) and have been for some time. When the news broke that it was in limbo as to who will publish it and when, I got angry. I have no doubts that it will come out one way or another eventually, but I feel that these publishing companies don't really care what the hardcore gamers think anymore. They're just concerned with making more money, and if that means churning out a ton of low quality games rather than delivering a polished, amazing game, then so be it. It drives me insane.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Brutal Legends was going to be one of the few games I will buy in '09. I sure hope it gets picked up soon.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
matrix3509 said:
Brutal Legends was going to be one of the few games I will buy in '09. I sure hope it gets picked up soon.
EA picked it up a few weeks ago. Fall of '09 can't come soon enough!

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Jordan Deam said:
matrix3509 said:
eh great, the evilest of all the evil publishing companies are now publishing a game from my current favorite developer. Hmmm...this will be a tough one for me.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
matrix3509 said:
Jordan Deam said:
matrix3509 said:
eh great, the evilest of all the evil publishing companies are now publishing a game from my current favorite developer. Hmmm...this will be a tough one for me.
Don't worry it will be an "EA Production" but it will be secondary to the two-headed bee-child of Double-fine.

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
Fightgarr said:
Don't worry it will be an "EA Production" but it will be secondary to the two-headed bee-child of Double-fine.
With the added flavour of ridiculous copyright protection most likely.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Fightgarr said:
matrix3509 said:
Jordan Deam said:
matrix3509 said:
I'm sad to say that if it does have ridiculous DRM on it, then I would rather go without. Its sucks majorly that anyone would have to make that choice, especially because if anyone deserves money, its Double Fine. Though I'll be sure to check out their website to keep up on it.