163: Just Your Average Gaming God

Jeremy Monken

Jul 7, 2008
Just Your Average Gaming God

"As you enter the understated Hunt Valley, MD, studio that houses Firaxis Games, it feels like any other office. Only after you pass the front desk and see the display case overflowing with 30 or so gaming achievement awards does it really hit home: This is one of the pillars of the gaming world.

"The casual feel of the studio mirrors the man responsible for its existence, Director of Creative Development and co-founder Sid Meier. Despite the legendary game designer status and a cult following to every game that bears his name, the man is as down to earth as it gets."

Read Full Article

dukeh016

Jul 25, 2008
Holy crap you got to meet Sid Meier? Is he really a "real" person, like the article says, or is he a collection of features added by the player to create an efficient and profitable SimGameDesigner?

Better yet, did he seem like the old scary Monty Burns-esque ruler of a small planet, or grandfatherly sort-of-paying-attention kinda guy? The concept that something like "guilds" were only invented 4 or 5 years ago, for instance, sorta makes me think the latter.

snuffler

Jun 4, 2008
Sid Meier said:
I won't name any names, but I think there are certainly some personalities in the game industry that have traded on their eccentricity to get attention.
*COUGH* Richard Garriott *COUGH COUGH*

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
The important question is did the author get to actually MEET id, or did he just do a phone/email interview with him?

I'd love to meet the guy. Also, the man responsible for my many frustrating and fun hours in Return to Zork.

rob_d

Jul 20, 2008
I admire Sid for what he's done to the gaming industry. I just think it's a pitty that this interview was too 1-dimensional and very bland.
But still, it's Sid Meier.
I've been playing his games since Pirates came out in '87.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
Sid Meier has had an amazing career in strategy games, but part of me wants him to try just one project where he does something completely unexpected. Sid Meier's Doom 4?

ChocoCake

Nov 23, 2008
I would just like to say how I love the cover photo does not include a Wii mote.
Thank you.