Stolen Pixels #93: Crysis Demo, Part 2

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #93: Crysis Demo, Part 2

Having bravely endured the loading screens, Shamus soldiers on with Crysis.

Read Full Article

DM.

Mar 27, 2009
Shiny Assed Master Chief?

That has to be the funniest thing I've ever seen.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
hilarious and i find it weird that you have to play on the hardest difficult before the koreans master their language, might be because hard to kill the enemies wasn't enough, it should also be hard to understand them.

Xakura

May 26, 2009
It is actually quite easy to modify the config file so the koreans speak korean on all difficulties.

searanox

Sep 22, 2008
Honestly I find this strip is a bit more contrived than the first. Crysis is an excellent game despite its shitty storyline and characters, and from a design perspective I think it would be very, very intriguing for you, Shamus, although you really have to play the whole game as the first level serves as mostly plot exposition and familiarisation with the game elements. It's the second one where things really pick up and get more fun and interesting. The game really, really encourages players to experiment, and the best part is that it almost always works. Crysis does not do everything right, but when it does do things well, it does them really, really damn well.

Sorry if this reads like a fanboy endorsement, but I find that Crysis is severely underrated by the gaming community. Outside of its visuals, many people dismiss it as "just another shooter" but if you take the time to get to know the game there is far, far more depth to it. They just released a pack with the original game as well as the stand-alone expansion WARHEAD, which is very much worth your time and money.

Xakura said:
It is actually quite easy to modify the config file so the koreans speak korean on all difficulties.
The idea I think is that it's harder to tell what they're doing. In practice it just means that they won't scream "grenade" when they chuck one at you. I prefer the Korean, really. It makes much more sense than the stereotypical and sometimes downright offensive caricatures that get used otherwise.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Unfortunately, the only way to get this is to play on the highest difficulty level, which completely ruins the realism in other ways. On the highest level, the bad guys have telescopic vision, flawless aim, and intense paranoia. The foliage in the game is great, but they seem to be able to look right through it and determine that the slightly dark shape sitting motionless in a bush 100 meters away is:

a) An enemy
b) American
c) Alone
N. Korean military training is VERY intense. That, and they eat a crap load of carrots.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
The Close Combat Series let you set the German side to either speak heavily accented English or German. And that was... uh... 9 years ago from the last game, 13 from the first. Just thought I'd mention that. Oh, and it was just a general settings option, it wasn't dependent on player difficulty.

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
I've just started playing Crysis at the moment, can't work out what i like the best - stealthing past enemies, stealth killing a squad of four one by one or laughing at the cut scenes.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
This brings back memories of the first time I played the demo, and had the settings at what were typical for my other games. Think it took about 5 minutes for the plane to show up when the audio already had it in front of me.
And yes, only real men wear their duffel bags on their crotches. :D
Fanboys aside, this is nothing but a glorified shooter. There never is any real depth in a story that's about soldiers. In fact this gets me in the mood to watch Predator again. *poof*

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
Crysis wasn't all that good of a game. Sure I played the demo, but I didn't like it. And the fact that the enemies had telescopic laser vision and had the body armor of a fridge.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Lord_Ascendant said:
Crysis wasn't all that good of a game. Sure I played the demo, but I didn't like it. And the fact that the enemies had telescopic laser vision and had the body armor of a fridge.
Pretty much. Once they were alerted their skin took on the toughness of diamond. I put three suppressed 7.62x45mm rounds into the back of the neck of a NK regular who wasn't even wearing a hat, and he spun on his heel and started shooting at me.

It really was funny, though, when I got two of them searching an outhouse for me. Hilarity ensued when I tossed a grenade in with them.

And I'd wished I'd known about being able to tweak the config to get the Korean-language voice files all the time. The heavily-accented "Engrish" was just terrible. I'm no linguist, but I think I could figure out the Korean version of "frag out" or "flank the enemy" after a few times.

mrated

May 27, 2009
You should have played Battlefield 2. In the settings you could set the enemies to speak in their native language (PLA spoke Chinese, MEC Iraqi). http://wiki.bf2s.com/armies/battlefield-2

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
The Rogue Wolf said:
And I'd wished I'd known about being able to tweak the config to get the Korean-language voice files all the time. The heavily-accented "Engrish" was just terrible. I'm no linguist, but I think I could figure out the Korean version of "frag out" or "flank the enemy" after a few times.
I coulda sworn you said you were a modder.

It really didn't cross your mind that you could edit it?