Review: Killing Floor

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Review: Killing Floor

Looking for co-op survival horror shooting action? It's Left 4 Dead, on a budget.

Read Full Article

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Budget Left 4 Dead indeed. Looks interesting.

Incidentally, unless I'm much mistaken, I believe this was a reference to Unskippable.
John Funk said:
You are a member of a British Special Forces team sent in to deal with this threat by using your advanced medical training to test the effects of bullets - on them.

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
I agree with you on a lot of points, especially the solo bit. Which brings me to this: Tripwire is planning on making more solo (and ofcourse also more multiplayer) DLC, which is something I am really looking forward to because this game is a rough gem right now.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
The Traders evil don't trust her!

Its a good game, of course you have to rely on your team mates who are either brilliant or just plain old stupid and let you die in two seconds. Flesh-Pound is quite easy to take out just shoot him slowly this will stop him going berserk and slaughtering you. Oh and berserker for the win simply the best perk its fun chopping down hundreds of clots with a fruit knife.

That reminds me I need to play some games with you people.

Edit - Try a 50 player server its horribly fun to play

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Been waiting for a decent review like this for a while now, sounds like a must buy. :)

Cpt. Red

Jul 24, 2008
Me and a friend got this and had some fun with it... We had some problem when we were trying to play LAN games as the only way to find the LAN server was to search trough all the internet ones... So that was a bit bugged... Or we were just blind or did something wrong...
But when we finally played it was pretty fun...

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
NoMoreSanity said:
Seems good though I'll stick with Left 4 Dead.
Well, thats good cause Left 4 Dead is much more fun. Killing Floor is LF4D with no versus or survival mode. So it gets really boring after a little bit.

blipblop

May 21, 2009
looks cool, probably fun LAN game!
too bad I was so stupid and bought a laptop instead of a real computer :(

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
It sounds like it's good enough to take up a few hours of my time, and at $20, it doesn't have to last all that long to meet the magic $5/hour entertainment value.

I think I'm gonna buy it when I get home tonight.

Singing Gremlin

Jan 16, 2008
I'd say it was definitely worth a buy if you're into that kinda thing. Zed Time, for a start, is really bloody cool. It's basically multiplayer bullet time, achieved when anyone gets a good kill - usually a headshot. This makes for a great few seconds as everybody lines starts taking a little more time and heads explode all over the show.

Perks also level up. The Beserker perk, for example, which is what I use, levels up as I kill specimens with melee weapons - the axe, the knife and the chainsaw. It makes for a nice little feeling of progression on the side.

On the other hand, the difficulty is a little squiffy. Each difficulty level affects both the toughness of the monsters, and the number of monsters per player each wave. Which sounds alright but the toughness is scaled to the full 6 man team - on normal you can get to the last wave alright if you're a good shot and have places to run to, but when you get to the boss (known lovingly as the "Patriarch", the lovable mutated nerd with a chaingun-rocket launcher for an arm) You. Will. Die. Which kinda mucks it all up because on the other hand, easy is far too easy.

There's also a good community, too, with several good quality maps already been released and a lot more on the works, with some heavy scripting involved (there is for example a beta of a map that basically follows the Resident Evil movie, complete with fully functioning laser grid of doom).

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i agree that the game is good. not perfect but good. but i still think that the flesh pound can take way to many bullets before he dies. also one with a chainsaw can handle some bullets without any problems.
but teamplay is deffenitaly vital in this game.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Maybe I'll wait 'till steam has a sale and pick up both or at least L4D on the cheap.

Also, it looks like you're playing solo, or at least off by yourself a lot there. Is that a pretty common occurrence or was it something about the video selected?

AnGeL.SLayer

Oct 8, 2007
I dont have the game myself, I've been bugging all my steam mates who bought it to give me a full review on it. What I got was that the AI is dumb and the game really has no goal so that means you end up with 30 people in a game dicking around more than anything. It doesnt seem to force you to kill per-say. Personally, I felt that after watching all the youtube shots and hearing from others that its CSS meets L4D. I would still love to check it out, but to pay for a game that is basically a mod in my view doesnt seem fun from my wallets' stand point, even at $20. I dont like paying for something I'm not going to end up using and enjoying. If its ever on sale again I might just have to grab it for funzies.

^_^

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
HobbesMkii said:
Maybe I'll wait 'till steam has a sale and pick up both or at least L4D on the cheap.

Also, it looks like you're playing solo, or at least off by yourself a lot there. Is that a pretty common occurrence or was it something about the video selected?
Well, part of it being that when we create video reviews we have some very specific things we want to show off. It's often a lot easier to create a controlled environment to display these things when you're the only one to worry about :)

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Onyx Oblivion said:
Did I see a slow-mo effect a-la F.E.A.R. during the supplement or am I going crazy?
Sometimes when you achieve a particularly nice kill, you get a little slow-mo effect that both doubles as an "ooh, nifty" and a bullet time that lets you pick off your next shots with more accuracy. It's a cool feature.

I can't rule out you going crazy, though. ;)