Thailand Closes Gaming Sites After Boy's Suicide

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Thailand Closes Gaming Sites After Boy's Suicide

Thailand's Criminal Court has ordered 72 online gaming and gambling websites to shut down following the death of a 12-year-old boy who committed suicide after his father banned him from playing videogames.

The Court ordered the Ministry of Information and Communications Technology to close down the 72 sites because they were "encouraging people to place online bets or hooking them on computer games," according to a report by the Bangkok Post [http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/17173/court-orders-closure-of-72-websites]. Suchart Wong-anadchai of the Department of Special Investigation said internet service providers caught offering access to online gambling would face a fine and jail term, and also have their ISP license revoked.

The court order follows the suicide of 12-year-old Pongsathorn Wattanabenjasopha, who jumped from the sixth-floor balcony of his school after his father took his videogames away. After examining his mobile phone, police said the boy had sent numerous emails to friends complaining about being grounded and warning, "Tomorrow is my last day." Thai officials criticized the parents for cutting the boy off gaming completely, saying, "For children addicted to gaming, the most effective approach is not to ban games but to regulate the time spent gaming."

Rajanagarindra Child and Adolescent Mental Health Institute Director Bundit Sornpaisarn claimed that children addicted to videogames who have an "aggressive mentality" are more likely to commit suicide than others and said parents should use "positive communications" when dealing with addicted children. Parents need to control their emotions, he said, and listen to their children's views in order to "bring positive responses."

While harsh, the government's reaction to Pongsathorn's suicide isn't entirely surprising. In August 2008, the Thai government described videogames as a "Grand Theft Auto IV [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/85419] off the shelves after a teenager claimed he murdered a taxi driver while imitating the game.

via: Sankaku Complex [http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/05/24/0158203&from=rss]

Mookie_Magnus

Clouded Leopard
Jan 24, 2009
Hmm... I wonder how many more people will commit suicide after the Thai government blocks these sites?

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Mookie_Magnus said:
Hmm... I wonder how many more people will commit suicide after the Thai government blocks these sites?
This. Seems incredibly counter-intuitive to me.

"Hey, banning games made this kid kill himself. Let's ban all gaming websites and see what happens."

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
So, the government of Thailand is going to wipe out every potentially suicidal online gamer all at once by making all of them suicidal at the same time?
. . .
*facepalm*

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
...and that's a highly inappropriate picture. Is it bad that I chuckled (at the choice of picture, not the boys death; that's tragic)?

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
mentor07825 said:
Mookie_Magnus said:
^this is exactly what I thought.

An idea struck me. Make a game of the boy falling to his death. Of course he'd fall from a very tall building, and the objective is to miss the cushion at the bottom to stop the boy falling from his death, nets outside the windows and not hitting buildings around you and aiming for the concrete.

I'm a horrible person.
http://www.dejobaan.com/aaaaa/

...it's where the screenshot's from. You can just choose not to open your parachute-fin thing at the end.

KenzS

Jun 2, 2008
Did anyone figure out what games in particular this kid was addicted to?

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
"Well a boy killed himself..
BLAME THE VIDEOGAMES!!!" The kid was probably mentally ill for all we know, or just depressed. On the other side of the coin, The parents must have really messed up down the line. I love Video Games, but they aren't worth dieing over.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Malygris said:
Thai officials criticized the parents for cutting the boy off gaming completely, saying, "For children addicted to gaming, the most effective approach is not to ban games but to regulate the time spent gaming."
Holy crap, did they actually say something right?

Seriously, that's exactly what they should have done with the kid! Treat a "video game addiction" just like any other addiction and slowly wear it out.

All of you guys are going around, only reading the first sentence of the first paragraph and instantly thinking "Oh, some kid killed himself, they're blaming video games!" when they're actually speaking reasonably here!

Though I must admit, the reaction to this does seem counter-intuitive...