38 Studios Acquires Big Huge Games

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
38 Studios Acquires Big Huge Games

38 Studios has added yet another big name to the team of people working on its mysterious MMO codenamed "Copernicus," Rise of Nations creator Big Huge Games.

The studio, founded by former Major League Baseball pitching great Curt Schilling, has spent the last several months acquiring notable talent to work on the game including fantasy author R.A. Salvatore and comic book artist and action figure magnate Todd McFarlane.

The addition of both Salvatore and McFarlane to the team make sense in a way. Salvatore is one of the world's biggest names in writing Dungeons & Dragons-esque tales of high fantasy, and McFarlane has a well-known knack for designing the most horrific, imaginative characters in any medium.

This latest news though, raises more questions than answers. Big Huge Games is known almost entirely for its propensity at designing quality real-time strategy games.

Though it has been widely assumed that "Copernicus" was an MMORPG -- especially given Schilling's well known affection for Everquest -- perhaps Big Huge Games has been brought on board to infuse the title with strategic elements.

Or maybe this is all a ruse to confuse gamers.

We really won't know anything until 38 Studios decides to drop the veil of secrecy.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
A MMORPG? Wouldn't buy it. Learned long ago not to waste money on the things.

So I'm hoping for a good ol' regular RPG, even if it is high fantasy.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Ugh no no no no no no no no no

I have no idea why there are so many studios in the Boston area convinced they can make an MMO to compete with WoW.

on the other hand, maybe acquiring BHG is so they can have something else to put out that might actually not get crushed wholesale by Blizzard

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
TMAN10112 said:
Could this mean that a Rise of Legends sequel is still possible?
Not likely, considering the first game ends with all the interesting characters dead and the entire world ruled by Lenora, Arri's dad and Yontash with no enemy resistance. Unless Giacomo somehow gets half of Czin fused to his face and turns evil instead of emo or the "gods" crash another spaceship, i'd say they've run out of content.

A Rise of Nations remake with modern technology(more ram=bigger maps) however...

ravensshade

resident shadow
Mar 18, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
Salvatore + McFarlane gives me an erection though.
no idea who mcfarlane is
but salvatore writing for an MMO sounds like a good chance for great story

Mekado

Mar 20, 2009
ravensshade said:
TsunamiWombat said:
Salvatore + McFarlane gives me an erection though.
no idea who mcfarlane is
but salvatore writing for an MMO sounds like a good chance for great story
Todd McFarlane is mostly known for "inventing" The Spawn ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spawn_%28comics%29 ) ,he also wrote some Spiderman for a while.