Philly Game Convention GameX Partners With The Escapist

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Philly Game Convention GameX Partners With The Escapist

GameX [http://www.gamexpo.us/], a consumer show and pop cultural festival held in Philadelphia, PA, announced its choice of game consumer media partner for this year's show, none other than your very own home-away-from-home: The Escapist.

Don't you hate it how it's always the West Coast that gets all the cool shows? E3, BlizzCon, PAX, ComicCon (well, okay, I guess there's one of those over here now, too...) Well, we Easterners are slowly but surely getting our very own set of festivals celebrating our choice of pop media - and one of them is GameX, held this October in Philadelphia, PA.

GameX, which is short for "Games and Media Expo," describes itself as a "national game consumer show and 'pop culture' festival." Despite the prominent word 'Game' in the title, it's primarily a celebration of all things nerd: Games, Film, TV, comic books, tabletop gaming, et al. The only thing missing is the LARP (though I guess they've got a Cosplay contest, so we're halfway there).

So, if you've got a growing festival devoted to geeky pop culture - especially games - you want a fitting media partner to help cover the gaming end of things, right? So, you choose someone completely awesome ... like The Escapist.

Y'know, I never like to be the one to toot my own horn, so why not let them do it for us? Here's the full official press release:

[blockquote]Philadelphia, PA---Thursday, May 28, 2009--- GameX (Games & Media Expo), October 23-25, 2009 in Philadelphia, today announced its media partner in the game consumer marketplace, The Escapist, a leading video gaming destination offering video game enthusiasts high-quality, innovative and exclusive content. The Escapist will serve as the exclusive game consumer online media partner to GameX, with significant pre-event promotions and on-site presence at the main event.

The Escapist's role as media partner provides GameX with access to a highly active online community of more than three million video game enthusiasts through cross promotional advertising leading up to and during GameX. At the intersection of online publishing and community platforms with unique social media elements tailored for its audience, The Escapist has more than doubled in size within the last year and boasts over 28 million page views each month.

Honored with both a Webby Award two years in a row in 2008 and 2009, and Webby People's Voice Award in 2008, The Escapist is also responsible for the web's most viewed video game review series, Zero Punctuation, starring Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw, in addition to introducing the first-of-its-kind Internet Film Festival for Gamers and the March Mayhem game developer competition.

Presented by NBC Local Media in Philadelphia, GameX is a high-visibility entertainment, tech and media show with games as its main attraction. Designed to appeal to local, regional and national audiences of game players, film and TV fans, comic book buffs and tech enthusiasts, GameX features pop culture elements such as advance film and TV screenings and trailers, celebrity guest appearances, high stakes game tournaments, robotics demonstrations, animation festival and competitive art exhibit, video art installations and much more. The Escapist will cover key GameX show announcements over the coming months.

Alex Macris, CEO and co-founder of Themis Media, publishers of The Escapist, offers, "We designed The Escapist to be an interactive community for and by video game enthusiasts. GameX is providing the kind of game consumer experience that appeals to our highly engaged and diverse consumer audience."

Fiona Cherbak, vice president of business development for GameX, adds, "From their top-notch editorial content to their massive online community of dedicated gamers, The Escapist was the right choice as a media partner for GameX and NBC. We look forward to their energetic participation at GameX, as well as their pre-show promotional support."[/blockquote]

Now, Philly is home to The Escapist's very own Susan Arendt - and it's not far from New York and New Jersey - the former stomping grounds of Escapist staffers Tom Endo and John Funk, respectively.

Maybe we'll see you there!

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Kross said:
I'm from New York too. :(
You know we all love you... <3

Really, though, I'm going to have to do some research about who on earth these people are.
Yes, I'm that far under a rock.
But I have cake so that's ok.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
That's only an 8 hour drive (Thanks, Google Maps)!!

Perhaps I can coax my wife into letting me escape (see the pun?) for a while!
That'd be awesome!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
HEY! I live in that town! I should go!

Finally, something cool happens here! Besides another fucking M. Night Sha-ma-long-a-ding-dong movie.

Jul 9, 2008
I might be able to go to that, maybe we should have an official meet up there, like Labyrinth's Escapisms.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Hmm... There seems to be a coup developing for this and the gathering of Escapists.
I shall check my finances and most likely go. I hope I can make it.

Erana said:
Kross said:
I'm from New York too. :(
You know we all love you... <3

Really, though, I'm going to have to do some research about who on earth these people are.
Yes, I'm that far under a rock.
But I have cake so that's ok.
It's only okay depending on the kind of cake.

Bobkat1252

The Psychotic Psyker
Mar 18, 2008
Nice, my college is 45 minutes out of Philly. If we're doing a meet up at the convention, I'm definately going to attend.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Make special note of the line in the press release about "special guest appearances". I wonder what (or rather who) that could mean ...

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
Sounds like a really cool show.

Shame I'll be all the way over on the other side of the US.

RebekahWSD

Apr 15, 2009
Aha, the train into Philly will actually do something useful for once. And rather than try and convince the fiance that yes, yes, driving in NYC is peachy (or even better, the bus in Port Authority is fun) I might be able to convince him that the train to Philly is actually fun. And I do know Philly better than NYC. Gleeeeeeeee

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
When I read 'Philly' in the title I thought that damn troll had come back for revenge, but I'm glad to see I was mistaken.

I'm annoyed now though because this looks awesome, but to go I'd need plane tickets and money for a hotel and everything since I live in the UK. Why does America get all the good conventions and stuff and the UK doesn't? Yeah, I'm bitter now... Have a great time though, everyone who is going :)