Rape Games Not Banned in Japan After All

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Rape Games Not Banned in Japan After All

It has come to light that despite earlier reports [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92012-Rape-Games-Banned-in-Japan], rape games have not actually been banned in Japan.

The whole thing was made up, says RapeLay scandal [http://zepy.momotato.com/2009/05/28/rape-games-not-really-banned-and-i-hate-tbs/] but then edited the footage to misrepresent the story. The EOCS then rejected a request for a second TBS interview so the broadcaster just ran with the story it had.

Abel Group Chairman Kanno Hiroyuki, one of the directors of the EOCS, said in his blog [http://blog.livedoor.jp/abel_/] that none of the directors were aware of the supposed ban and that the EOCS has simply scheduled a meeting on June 2 to decide how to address the matter. He said he hopes an outright ban won't be necessary, "but tighter regulations is probably something that is unavoidable."

It's also been suggested that the whole thing could be a political ploy engineered by the Kotaku [http://www.komei.or.jp/en/index.html] notes is on record as opposing Japan's erotic games industry. Hiroyuki said the Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry told a member of the NKP about the planned meeting of the EOCS, who then passed the information on to the TBS; somewhere in the chain, that information was "changed," resulting in the false report.

Canned Dogs quotes an eroge "industry guy" as saying that while nobody in the industry has any real information, an outright ban is extremely unlikely. "If it is really decided that rape games will be regulated we'll definitely at least have till past July to comply," he said. "The used game market will probably still be OK. The EOCS is currently in a situation where they might lose to outside pressure so please help them!"

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
Good. An outright ban wouldn't solve anything.
How do we answer that cry for help at the end, though?

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
Tenmar said:
Yes! I'm so glad that a ban did not come from peer pressure of equal rights group and New York. You cannot be a proponent of free speech if you want things that you don't like banned especially if the content isn't in the country you live in or affects you.

Remember the whole reason we have this mess is because some American thought in his retarded mind that selling Rapelay on amazone would be a good idea. A game that is only sold in Japan and only in that country and is not meant to leave the country's boarders.

If Japan does decide to close the production of H-games related to this content then they should do so on their own reasons and terms and not any other country, nation or ideology.
I agree, but I still think it's wrong in the first place to ban it.

Molten Water

Apr 20, 2009
iv actually played the game.and its just purely for pleasure reasons people.seriously its just really funny.stuff like feeling them up and having fake sex n stuff.seriously its not AS BAD as these things show.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Molten Water said:
iv actually played the game.and its just purely for pleasure reasons people.seriously its just really funny.stuff like feeling them up and having fake sex n stuff.seriously its not AS BAD as these things show.
Yeah, but other games in the same genre can go much further in this.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
RAKtheUndead said:
OK, somebody get me an AC-130 and direct me to the Diet. I haven't got a clue why the Japanese culture has allowed these games to continue, but erotic computer games are bad altogether, let alone ones involving rape.
Erotic, weird but ok.
Rape? Hell no

eelel

May 29, 2009
StarStruckStrumpets said:
eelel said:
i can't say that i am really suprised
Me neither. Banning it would just make people search all the more, and use more questionable means...
that and it is a big industrie over there to

in_95

Jul 2, 2008
Yay! Cencorship is never a good idea.

Like they could change anything in the eroge industry anyway. It is huge.

dtocs

Nov 1, 2008
You know what i feel safe that people play games like this, while there playing them I know their not rapeing me

tenlong

Apr 26, 2009
I knew it was too good to be true. If you tell people not to do something they will want to do it regardless.

wolfy098

May 1, 2009
Optimus Prime said:
Sigh, why doesn't Japan just ban rape FULLSTOP!
sorry to say this but Japan has one of the lowest amount of rapes in any country because of these games...

American rapists rape people
Japanese rapists go out of their way not to and play rape games
we call this MORALS

Rajin Cajun

Sep 12, 2008
wolfy098 said:
Optimus Prime said:
Sigh, why doesn't Japan just ban rape FULLSTOP!
sorry to say this but Japan has one of the lowest amount of rapes in any country because of these games...

American rapists rape people
Japanese rapists go out of their way not to and play rape games
we call this MORALS
There is no such proof of that. In fact Japan has a high rate of failure to report sexual crimes because of its view on women.