Battlefield 1943 Puts Players to Work for Fourth Map

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Battlefield 1943 Puts Players to Work for Fourth Map

In order to unlock the fourth map in Battlefield 1943, players will have to rack up 43 million kills over Xbox Live and PlayStation Network.

So you say you want your fourth map in Battlefield 1943? Well, maps don't come easy in this world - you need to earn them, with the blood, sweat and tears of your opponents. Only after 43 million kills have been achieved on Xbox Live and PlayStation Network will the "Coral Sea" map be unlocked.

Coral Sea features an "all-new Air superiority game mode" that will have players competing for airborne supremacy in intense dogfights. The other three maps, Iwo Jima, Gaudalcanal and Wake Island, come as part of the default Battlefield 1943 package, while Coral Sea is dubbed a "fourth bonus map."

This is what EA and DICE are calling a "community challenge," but I'd call it a "entice people to keep playing your game before they can get their money's worth" challenge. I suppose it's no different in principle from Noby Noby Boy's forcing people to play to unlock new planets, but there's a difference between a game where you stretch a snake-boy-thing and poop and Battlefield.

So, only three maps and one that's going to take at least some time to unlock. Seems like a rip off? Well, it's only $15, so decide for yourself when it comes out this June on 360/PS3 and in September on PC.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
looking at it, for $15 thats quite a decent lil package. Assuming the maps are varied enough I think the unlockable 4th map is a kewl idea to keep ppl playing the game.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Why must they give us PC gamers such a painful wait?
And, as WoW proved with Ahn'Qiraj, that map will be unlocked preeetty quickly.

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
First thought: Why do they have to do that? Is it because the map isn't finished, and they just need more time?

Second thought: Wait a sec... C-c-c-c-Coral Sea?!

HELL YES That was my all-time favorite 1942 map. My desire for this game just went up. Still not a confirmed buy unless they up the max player count though.

G1eet

Mar 25, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I can do it. Single-handedly. We will have that map by...2085.
Lol, according to "top scientists", we'll have drowned long before that.
Seriously, while I was reading an article on global warming for a living environment class, one prediction said that sea levels would rise about 80 feet in a little over 30 years.

What utter tripe.

Halfbreed13

Apr 21, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Because they know BF3 will own all, and those dirty console gamers will only be able to press their noses to the glass...
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
if thats true, it would be like having to kill every person that has ever played World of Warcraft about 3 time in order to ever play that map.

thinks about the first person to do it, they would just have to wait until some other guy to kill 43 million in order to have a game.

that sucks

dekkarax

Apr 3, 2008
Four maps. Four. Please tell me there are more, and please, please, please tell me you aren't going to charge for them.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
Cousin_IT said:
looking at it, for $15 thats quite a decent lil package. Assuming the maps are varied enough I think the unlockable 4th map is a kewl idea to keep ppl playing the game.
Yeah especially looking the graphics it seems like a good deal. I just hope that they do add more maps in the immediate future in (hopefully free) dlc.

FallenRainbows

Feb 22, 2009
Simalacrum said:
43 million kills?!?!? no thanks
Not 43million each you ponce :p (ponce was a friendly comment I swear!)

43 million between EVERYONE. Like 1million players kill 48 people each that sorta thing, gedit?

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
McCa said:
Simalacrum said:
43 million kills?!?!? no thanks
Not 43million each you ponce :p (ponce was a friendly comment I swear!)

43 million between EVERYONE. Like 1million players kill 48 people each that sorta thing, gedit?
...................................................................................
OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH RIIIIGHT I GET IT! :D
yes please ^^

LoopyDood

Dec 13, 2008
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Rather than let PC gamers create hundreds of custom maps and kill the market for ridiculously overpriced downloadable maps, they milk the community-map/mod-starved console gaming masses for a few months.