Mega Man Goes 2.5D, Gets Co-Op

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Mega Man Goes 2.5D, Gets Co-Op

Mega Man has been done to death, but a fan-made pseudo-3D recreation of the blue bomber's classic adventures with co-op gameplay? Where do I sign up?

The unofficial project, cleverly dubbed Mega Man 2.5D takes the 8-bit, 2D aesthetic of the character's early NES outings and reimagines them with an extra dimension. Most impressively, it does all of this without losing a single hint of the aesthetic or aural appeal that made the originals so beloved.

Mega Man still travels along a single horizontal plane, but the backgrounds he traverses are now able to rotate, revealing depth and adding an entirely new (literal) dimension to games that most have fans know like the backs of their respective hands.

Assuming the video preview is to be believed, the remake also gives players a chance to experience Dr. Wily's aluminum-plated dungeons with a friend via a newly added co-operative gameplay mode.

As with all fan-made projects there is a danger that Capcom might pitch a fit and start lobbing cease and desist orders at MM2.5D's creators, but given that this trailer was featured on Capcom's official Unity Blog [http://www.capcom-unity.com/snow_infernus/blog/2009/05/29/fan_made_mega_man_25d_gets_cooler], it seems as if the publisher is at least amused enough by the effort to let it proceed apace.

No official release date is offered for the project, but interested gamers can find more images from the game at the creator's website [http://petersjostrand.com/].

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
This could be the greatest thing ever...or the worst thing ever to happen to Megaman.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Looks interesting, to say the least. Though they could easily screw up the gameplay, but I'm assuming the creators have the common sense to know when they have fucked up the game. Though I'm not sure how co-op will work out.

And for the record, Snake Man's theme is only second to Top Man's.

Feb 18, 2009
Yet another classic gets a new life, and an interesting one too. Looks nostalgic, with a twist, but can still go wrong. I hope not. Damn, that´s a great game.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
It could certainly go wrong. The co-op mode could easily suck, and level design could go wrong in a plethora of ways. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Capcom: "We are amused, you may continue."

this looks cool, but insta-death spikes that come at you from the background seem like a recipie for frustration.

I'm most excited by the co-op, however.

Fruitloops89

Feb 20, 2009
This is fucking amazing! And kudos to Capcom for giving the OK on a fan project, not like the twats from Squeenix

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Capcom has a long standing policy of embracing fangames and other fanworks, as long as they aren't making a profit. Their website even says something about it somewhere (or it did four years ago when last I checked).

P.S. Thanks

edit: that seems to have changed. https://www.fuzeqna.com/capcomsupport/consumer/kbdetail.asp?kbid=113

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
MegaMan 2.5D = Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww. Why take an extremely delicious recipe and add half a dimension to it? Why?

EDIT: Watched the video and COMPLETELY changed my mind. We can't discover new great recipes unless we experiment!

Fruitloops89

Feb 20, 2009
ziratha said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Is it wrong that I found the Battle Network games to be the best Megaman games?
More than you can possibly imagine.
Don't be so hasty, the Battle Network games were better than the later X games, Legends, and Megaman 5