Madden NFL 10 Adds Online Co-Op

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Madden NFL 10 Adds Online Co-Op

The latest iteration of EA's unending Madden NFL football games adds online co-operative gameplay, a first for the long-running series.

Assuming the netcode is solid this should allow gamers to take the virtual field alongside a friend instead of against them. While the series has long allowed players to play cooperatively, until now it has forced them to be in the same room.

It's unclear if this online co-op will be available in all versions or if it is restricted to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of the game.

This should be a huge boon for series fans, but EA has promised more surprises to come over the next week. We assume they mean during E3, but the company does have the cash reserves to hire carrier pigeons to deliver announcements to all of us.

Madden NFL 10 hits essentially every gaming platform in existence on August 14.

Tron-tonian

Mar 19, 2009
"Madden NFL 10 hits essentially every gaming platform in existence on August 14."

Except the biggest one of all - the PC.

Grype

May 29, 2009
To be fair it wouldnt really work on the pc, you need an analogue stick to play this sort of game

Tron-tonian

Mar 19, 2009
Grype said:
To be fair it wouldnt really work on the pc, you need an analogue stick to play this sort of game
To be fair, I have not one, but two analog sticks, a d-pad and 10 buttons on my Logitech gamepad. Just sayin'. ;-)

mjhhiv

Jun 22, 2008
As a big Madden fan myself, I couldn't care less about this co-op. Co-op in Madden has been terrible for a long, long time. Problem is that Quarterback is the only fun position. Who in the world wants to play on the Offensive Line? And plus, the online connections are so bad, no one will be able to finish a game anyways.

HobbesMkii said:
Wait, it really took them until just now to think this up? Wow.
I've got a theory that the Madden devs have long had some neat little ideas like this, but only add them incrementally -- every year they add one of there ideas, and make it a way bigger deal than it is. That way it seems like something new each year, rather than getting an actually new game every 4 years.

Grype

May 29, 2009
Tron-tonian said:
Grype said:
To be fair, I have not one, but two analog sticks, a d-pad and 10 buttons on my Logitech gamepad. Just sayin'. ;-)
I wish I was you.

CoziestPigeon

Oct 6, 2008
xmetatr0nx said:
Tron-tonian said:
"Madden NFL 10 hits essentially every gaming platform in existence on August 14."

Except the biggest one of all - the PC.
And get ready for the madden hate...

You know ive never played a single sports game on the PC, it seems so un-natural to be honest. I hope this works out well, playing madden online on the other games was a bit off and i didnt like it at all.
I had madden (03 maybe? 04?) on PC, and it was weird. Sports games just don't go on PC, you are completely right.

Also, co-op madden just isn't very fun. On offense, only 1 person is the QB. Playing anything other than the QB is either hard or boring.

On D it's fun as heck though.