UPDATE: Microsoft Announces Left 4 Dead 2

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
UPDATE: Microsoft Announces Left 4 Dead 2

We didn't see much. It looks like the new Left 4 Dead will take place in New Orleans, or a city very much like it. The four survivors were all new, and fighting off zombies with chainsaws, among other weapons.

Jordan will be stopping by Valve's booth later in the week, so I'm sure he'll have much more to tell you then!

UPDATE: Valve has issued a press release offering a few more details about Left 4 Dead 2, promising an even deeper cooperative zombie apocalypse thanks to the AI Director 2.0, an updated version of the AI Director found in the original game. The new version will provide even more immersive and dynamic gameplay with the ability to procedurally change weather effects, world objects and pathways, and customize enemies, effects and sounds.

"A large part of how Left 4 Dead became 2008's top-selling new IP on Xbox 360 and the PC was the custom-tailored gameplay made possible by the AI Director," said Valve President Gabe Newell. "With the knowledge gained from creating the original, new technology, and a passionate team, L4D2 will set a new benchmark for cooperative action games."

The game will be "much larger" than Left 4 Dead, with more co-op and Versus campaigns as well as Survival mode maps available when the game releases. Left 4 Dead 2 is currently slated for release on November 17 for the PC and Xbox 360.

[flowplayer=http://csdl.ign.com/ve3d/videos/05/15/51515_Left4Dead2E32009TeaserTrailer.flv]

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
No, no, NONONO.

Lies. All lies. I don't believe it for a moment.

*checks calendar*

Well, I haven't been warped to April 1st... what the fuck is going on?

EDIT: Wait, and why would MICROSOFT announce it? Aren't they, you know, not the creators?

What the hell, Susan... more details ASAP, please...

Daye.04

Proud Escaperino
Feb 9, 2009
quack35 said:
Didn't Left 4 Dead just come out?
Yeah, exactly. What's up with this? I mean .. Seriously. At least they could have hold back the release a couple of months in case they got these ideas ...

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
I'm sorry, but Microsoft announced Left 4 Dead 2? After the first one has only been out for less than a year? Why the bloody hell would Microsoft have any kind of authority to speak on the behalf of anything that Valve, a privately owned developer, is doing?

None of this adds up at all. Why didn't Valve announce it? Moreover, why isn't Valve simply just updating the first one? Releasing a new game this soon just doesn't fit into their pattern of behavior at all.

LordOmnit

Oct 8, 2007
Wait, why would Microsoft be announcing it? Shouldn't someone else be announcing it or something? Maybe it's just going to be an expansion or something? Or it's just a lie.

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
I imagine Left 4 Dead was an experiment... that succeeded. Wildly.

Now they are going to go full force with it. Hopefully they will put all of that talent they have to good use.

Man, I wish I was finished with this CS degree so I could apply there already...

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
OMGWTFAWESOME THIS IS THE BEST NEWS EVER.

Seriously, I'm overjoyed at this new news, provided that it's real. Chainsaws Good, Sequels Better.

I'm keeping my eye on this.

Daye.04

Proud Escaperino
Feb 9, 2009
LordOmnit said:
Or it's just a lie.
Nope - that's the cake [sup]I'm so sorry[/sup]
cobrausn said:
I imagine Left 4 Dead was an experiment... that succeeded. Wildly.

Now they are going to go full force with it. Hopefully they will put all of that talent they have to good use.

Man, I wish I was finished with this CS degree so I could apply there already...
That seems very plausible, yes. After all, L4D seemed a bit unfinished. But when you listen to the commentary, it sounds like they had a ocean of effort put in it

shMerker

Oct 24, 2007
Seriously, what the hell? Left 4 Dead came out 6 months ago. What are they going to do in a sequel that they couldn't do in a map pack? I expect this from everyone else, but Valve?

Although if we use they're previous sequels as an indications this announcement is a prelude to a 6-9 year project that looks nothing at all like whatever they're showing right now.

whyarecarrots

Nov 19, 2008
I can see several possible explanations:

1. Valve have sold out to Microsoft completely (unlikely)
2. Someone is pulling our leg.
3. Stavros has started making design decisions at Valve (in which case we're all doomed)

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Microsoft Announces Left 4 Dead 2

We didn't see much. It looks like the new Left 4 Dead will take place in New Orleans, or a city very much like it. The four survivors were all new, and fighting off zombies with chainsaws, among other weapons.

Jordan will be stopping by Valve's booth later in the week, so I'm sure he'll have much more to tell you then!

Susan, please tell us this aint a joke. If this game is true I will drown in awesomeness. After I spend Forty days playing it nonstop, of course.

Now, if this is true, the game is going to be in the L4D engine, and then some minor updates. But still, its L4D with updates, therefore, as good/better than Left 4 Dead. Therefore, Im going to buy it on the release day. :p

Hang on, MICROSOFT announced it? um...excuez meh, but wtf? *COUGH* where did valve go? I hope they didnt sell out to MS... although, were working with MS for L4D anyway (Remember, it aint on PS3?) But this might be kinda fishy...

Skrapt

May 6, 2008
It seems odd that Valve would announce a sequel so soon, and even odder that they could manage to release a new one in less then 3 years! :p But seriously, if this is true I'm not a big fan, tbh this sounds a lot like more of the same and either Valve needs to take it back for a year or more and add more things that differentiate/add value to the game or give out half of it for free to current L4D owners and the rest as an expansion pack for a small cost. Because as it sounds now? Not worth it.

Abi79

Sep 19, 2007
Nope, it's not a lie: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/06/01/left-4-dead-2-exclusive-rps-preview/

...or who knows. This soon, after a fairly expensive and incomplete game?