THQ Trash-Talks the Wii

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
THQ Trash-Talks the Wii

Nintendo Wii [http://www.thq.com], describing it as a "Monopoly box in a closet" and saying the company will no longer release core games for the platform.

"The Wii is a Monopoly box in a closet! I've got my IndustryGamers [http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/1OTtO06SP7M52gi5m8pD6CnahbW8CzxE]. "I take it out, get the family around, we flail around for a couple hours, and we're happy until next month when we take it out, or maybe for junior's birthday, I'm going to buy him a Mario game."

Bilson described the Wii as a "nightmare" for third party developers and said THQ is stepping back from the "core gamer" demographic on the system. "Right now, we're not moving hardcore stuff to the Wii," he said. "We were; we stopped it, just because we're a little risk averse."

That risk is the result of the Wii market being so "flooded with junk" that quality titles are difficult to pick out. "You look at the Wii wall [at Nintendo [http://www.gamestop.com] stuff pops, and a couple of other things pop, and that's it."

THQ will continue to publish software for the Wii, he added, but nothing like Deadly Creatures [http://www.deadlycreaturesgame.com/], the Wii-exclusive spider-and-scorpion game that was released in February. Instead, the company will produce the family-oriented, casual fare more traditionally associated with the Wii - which sounds an awful lot like the "junk" he'd just finished complaining about. "I'm a big believer in that," he added.

It's a bit of a shame, because aside from a few notable exceptions - like Deadly Creatures - the Wii-owning core gamer market is virtually untapped and could represent a gold mine for a publisher willing to take it on. On the other hand, the Wii is essentially a gold mine all on its own and it's hard to blame THQ or anyone else for going where the money is.

TheKbob

Jul 15, 2008
Poor developers making The Conduit. Everyone is watching them. If that game doesn't make it... backed by solid titles like House of the Dead, Madworld, Deadly Creatures, etc. the hope for 'core' games on the Wii is soon fading.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I hope his quotes were taken out of context. Its not good to alienate people you do business with.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
When I look at the Wii's wall at Gamestop, all I see is Imagine Babyz. I see where THQ is going with this.

SMOKEMNHALO2001

Sep 10, 2008
IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!
A developer had the guts to talk about the truth of the Wii, now if only they would stop publishing these crap games Nintendo might get the idea.

Idocreating

Apr 16, 2009
Nintendo is really running the risk of causing the market crash it arose from. The Wii and DS have a lot of shovelware on them that it's becoming very hard to pick out a decent game on shop shelves.

Which is exactly like the 1983 market crash, too much crap on the systems destroyed the consumer faith in the market and it collapsed. It recovered a few years later when Nintendo came on board with their strict regulations on what could be released, to avoid the real crap coming out on their system.

Now they'll let any old tat be released, if they keep it up the system is going to die out. Soccer moms will only buy Carnival Games so many times.

glowstick

Dec 7, 2008
That's interesting, cause I'm wondering what kind of noteworthy games THQ has been making these past couple of years themselves.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
SMOKEMNHALO2001 said:
IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!
A developer had the guts to talk about the truth of the Wii, now if only they would stop publishing these crap games Nintendo might get the idea.
Except that everyone already knows that the Wii has a bunch of crap. It's not really a secret.

The problem is that there are few "hardcore" third-party exclusives for the Wii that don't involve gratuitous violence, which alienates the mainstream Wii owners.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I remember being a gullible young lad perusing my monthly copy of nintendo power. Firmly cemented in the nintendo ghetto. The announcement of nintendo's newest console in the works with the working title of the "Nintendo Revolution" simply had me giddy at the notion of swinging the master sword at baddies with their innovative motion control system.

Then an E3 rolled around and the name got changed to the Wii...I immediately lost all respect for nintendo and promptly invested in a PS2. The Nintendo Revolution, destined to revolutionize technology of the gaming world; offering imersive (spell check won't give me the right spelling) gameplay the like of which gamers only dreamed of.

Now in the age of "Boogey", "Cooking Mama", and various other craptastic family friendly games the Wii is a mere shadow of its former aspirations as the Revolution. I truly weep for its lost potential.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Hey, hes right! When I go look to see what games to hire for my Wii, they all look like shit!

I'm sure this is not new to anyone, one of the first threads I entered on the Escapist was about all this shovelware.

Towowo2

Feb 6, 2009
Wow you guys just eat up anything or anyone trash talking Nintendo.
THQ is basically bawwing that their game didn't sell well and feel the need to blame the console for it.

It's their own fault for failing to advertise the game adequately.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
Towowo2 said:
Wow you guys just eat up anything or anyone trash talking Nintendo.
THQ is basically bawwing that their game didn't sell well and feel the need to blame the console for it.

It's their own fault for failing to advertise the game adequately.
Amen, brother.

Iggy Rufflebar

Mar 26, 2008
some one give this man a pat on the back, it's about time companies started speaking the truth. My hat is off to this man.

Darkong

Nov 6, 2007
Hang on, lets see if I've got this right. Its Nintendo's, and ONLY Nintendo's, fault that third parties have pumped out crappy game after crappy game for the Wii after being caught by suprise that the machine took off, and now some developer has had a public strop over it, and this is something that they should be applauded for?

Why can devs not get it through their heads that if they actually made a Wii game worth a damn then maybe people will buy it?

And on that matter, THQ, I honestly can't think of any of their recent games off the top of my head. Last game of theirs I bought was a WWF game for the N64 about a decade ago, so maybe its just me but I really can't bring myself to give a crap about what someone from there has to say.

Sorry for the anger here but I'm sick to bloody death of this whinging by third parties about the Wii for a situation they themselves have created.

SpiritMacardi

Feb 4, 2008
So THQ is mad that there's a massive ammount of crap content on the Wii, and their solution is... To produce more crap content?

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Oh THQ. You dare trash talk about the Wii when you are also responsible for it's shovelware.

Their worst game is last.