StarCraft II On Target For '09 Release

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
StarCraft II On Target For '09 Release

Blizzard supreme overlord Mike Morhaime confirmed that the long-awaited StarCraft sequel was slated for release before the end of the year.

In an investor webcast [http://investor.activision.com/eventdetail.cfm?eventid=69233], Mike Morhaime - president and co-founder of Blizzard Entertainment - said that the company was hoping to release the first part of the upcoming StarCraft II trilogy, StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, in late 2009:

"We're targeting an end of year release this year for StarCraft II," said Morhaime. "But as always, we won't release it until it meets our standards and the expectations of our players."

This dovetails nicely with the recent revelation that the SC2 beta would start this summer [http://starcraft.incgamers.com/blog/comments/so-when-is-soon/?gr_i_ni] - likely preceding a release date at BlizzCon if not earlier, if last year's Wrath of the Lich King beta was any indication.

(Via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/01/starcraft-ii-targeting-an-09-release/])

Martymer

Mar 17, 2009
Starcraft II coming out in '09, huh? Yeah, so is Duke Nukem Forever... I'll believe it when it's sitting on a shelf at my local store.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
I'll believe it when I see it. Seems like all things Starcraft get pushed to the back burner at Blizzard. If I were in charge, I'd be milking that cash cow more often than once every decade.

dirk45

Mar 20, 2009
And no more "When it's done"? Is Blizzard suddenly breaking with tradition?

Daye.04

Proud Escaperino
Feb 9, 2009
Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!
Gha! My blood pressure! I think someone is trying to kill me. L4D2. StarCraft 2. Gha ..

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
oliveira8 said:
Weeeeeeeeeeee!!
Were you in a movie theater and hear someone say they have popcorn?

Martymer said:
Starcraft II coming out in '09, huh? Yeah, so is Duke Nukem Forever... I'll believe it when it's sitting on a shelf at my local store.
Just to spite you, your local store won't order any copies.

They have a vague, uncertain release date, which is better than nothing. Shows they've actually been working on the game.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
dirk45 said:
And no more "When it's done"? Is Blizzard suddenly breaking with tradition?
Well, how I'm interpreting it is it's still, "When it's done," they're just hoping that it'll be done by the end of '09 :p

Avaholic03 said:
I'll believe it when I see it. Seems like all things Starcraft get pushed to the back burner at Blizzard. If I were in charge, I'd be milking that cash cow more often than once every decade.
Well, considering that they've got a big building on their campus that is *just* their RTS team, and that their WoW/D3/UNANNOUNCED PROJECT teams are all in their own areas... any delay isn't because they're working on other projects, but more because the RTS team is just taking a long time.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I got a feeling it won't be out by the end of this year. Doesn't bother me anyway, I am still saving money for a new computer that can hopefully run it, and that might be longer!

Kstreitenfeld

Mar 27, 2009
Martymer said:
Which is exactly why they also said "But as always, we won't release it until it meets our standards and the expectations of our players."

Hence, they would like to get it out by the end of '09 but can't promise anything... Not even in the same boat as Duke Nukem Forever... Not by a long shot.

Avaholic03 said:
If I were in charge, I'd be milking that cash cow more often than once every decade.
Then I'm thankful your not in charge.

Quality > Quantity

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Huh, I should really get back to completing Brood War sometime soon...

I thought I had until at LEAST 2018...

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
My main interest in Starcraft 2 is watching the e-sport action that will surely ensue.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Avaholic03 said:
That's why its a "trilogy" this time around...
Why sell 1 game when you can sell 3.

Panzer_God

Welcome to the League of Piccolo
Apr 29, 2009
Thank god, I've been waiting for this game since I was six years old. I worshiped Blizzard because of Starcraft and will most likely begin again when this is released.