EGM Comes Back From the Grave

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EGM Comes Back From the Grave

Electronic Gaming Monthly, which was laid to rest just a few months ago when 1UP Digital Network [http://www.hearst.com/], is making a comeback.

Steve Harris, who founded EGM in 1988 and then sold it to pulled the plug on the magazine [http://www.ziffdavis.com/] in early January 2009.

"The re-launch of Electronic Gaming Monthly represents a welcome opportunity to continue delivering quality content to gaming enthusiasts," said Harris. "I feel honored to once again be associated with this respected magazine. The talented writers and designers who built upon EGM's original vision have left behind a publication that is uniquely positioned to be successful."

Harris promised an "evolution" of the EGM brand, saying he believes readers will "enthusiastically embrace the changes we are planning to introduce," but did not offer any specifics, including whether it would return as a print magazine or a website. More details about EGM's future will be revealed at Facebook [http://www.e3expo.com/].

Source: 1UP [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3174453]

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
Oh God YES!!!!!!!!!!!!1

EDIT: In case you couldn't tell, I missed EGM. It's my favorite gaming mag right next to GMR. I miss GMR so much.
I mean, I like the Escapist and Kotaku, but nothing beats being able to have physical documents that don't require battery power to read. It' nice being able to buy a mag at a stand and bring it on the bus/transit/etc. to read.

EDIT EDIT: Preferably a mag that isn't console/company specific and isn't GameInformer.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Relaunched in the second half of 2009? That's a pretty quick turnaround.

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
harhol said:
If it returns as a print magazine this way well be the stupidest decision ever.

And why do all American gamers seem to have some kind of emotional attachment to this magazine which they stopped buying and therefore bankrupted?
I didn't stop buying it.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
harhol said:

And why do all American gamers seem to have some kind of emotional attachment to this magazine which they stopped buying and therefore bankrupted?
At its peak it was like a gaming bible that got released every month. And I think people of a certain age, who grew up with that, are always going to be nostalgic for that experience. That said, EGM hasn't been like that for over a decade and you would've been a fool to continue buying it just because you liked the brand.

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
tendo82 said:
harhol said:

At its peak it was like a gaming bible that got released every month. And I think people of a certain age, who grew up with that, are always going to be nostalgic for that experience. That said, EGM hasn't been like that for over a decade and you would've been a fool to continue buying it just because you liked the brand.
Harsh. I just enjoyed reading it.

Squeaksx

Jun 19, 2008
It's a gamin
joystickjunki3 said:
tendo82 said:
harhol said:

Harsh. I just enjoyed reading it.
It's a gaming magazine, if you like it buy it, if you don't...Don't? I don't see why the reaction either way is so huge. If people like it they'll continue to buy it and it will succeed.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
EGM was my favorite magazine group. I sincerely hope this isn't false news.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I'm more of an OXM guy. They may focus on the Xbox, but they also know how to bite the hand that feeds on occasion, showing that they aren't fanboys. On the other hand, Game Informer started to slip ever since they lost Lisa.

[sarcasm]Still, more gaming magazines means that I no longer need this crappy website.[sarcasm]