Valve Ponders Team Fortress 2 Movie Possibilities

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Valve Ponders Team Fortress 2 Movie Possibilities

Sure, Valve's "Meet the Class" videos are great, but a full-fledged Team Fortress 2 movie? The fans want it, and Valve says the demand is so "hard to ignore" that they'd love to see it happen too.

With the runaway success of Team Fortress 2's "Meet the Class" videos [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTj6tauY1JU], Valve has gained a level of success nobody expected the studio to achieve: not just game developers, they're respected filmmakers now, too.

A handful of clever and well-made shorts are one thing - the folks at Valve are obviously talented storytellers - but can they make a movie? Who knows, but there's clearly demand. "The number of people at this point who want us going off and making full length movies and that sort of stuff has got to a point where it's hard to ignore," TF2 designer Robin Walker said.

The fans want it and it sounds like Valve wants it too. "We're not ready to announce anything along those lines, but I don't think there's a person in this company that wouldn't love to see a full-length TF movie or even a 10-minute movie," Valve writer Erik Wolpaw said. "I'm not just being cagey. I'm a little bit removed from these kinds of things. But they keep giving us a little bit more rope with which to hang ourselves, so who knows."

But while we're all waiting for TF2: The Movie, there's still plenty to look forward to, TF2 fiction-wise. There are still Pyro and Medic videos to be made, which, if the increasingly intricate nature of these films indicates anything, may just be more ambitious than "Meet the Spy." On top of that, the "Meet the Class" team will be working on a TF2 comic, which should be along sometime in the future.

[Via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5273555/valve-dreams-of-team-fortress-2-movie-divulges-meet-the-team-origins?skyline=true&s=i]]

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS PLEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEAWSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEE MAKE THIS GODDAMN MOVIE!..

That out of the way, I really hope to see something like this in the future.

quiet_samurai

Apr 24, 2009
Maybe a mini series would be cool. Just beef up the graphics to Pixar level beauty is about the only improvement i can think of for it. Besides, if they made an actual movie for the theatres I think only a certain audience would enjoy it.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
quiet_samurai said:
Maybe a mini series would be cool. Just beef up the graphics to Pixar level beauty is about the only improvement i can think of for it. Besides, if they made an actual movie for the theatres I think only a certain audience would enjoy it.
I agree with this. I don't think a full-length theatrical release will earn back its investment capital. A series of downloadable episodes, on the other hand, would work quite well and has built-in appeal to the target audience.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Meh. Too much of a good thing, I think. The characters are very cool (they shot down the other and don't afraid of anything) but their one-dimensionality (?) would really stand out if they were to appear in a full-lenght feature. A short series, on the other hand, with 30 or even 15 minute long chapters, would be really great.

PS. A friend of mine said that the Spy video should start as another class (say, Meet The Doctor) then he takes out his mask and reveals himself to be the spy. While the spy video is awesome, I'm sad this didn't happen.

PPS. Pyro is female.

PPPS. I KNEW IT WAS THE SCOUT.

plastic_window

Jun 29, 2008
I'd love to see this happen. But I can't think of what the actual story would be like... Maybe we'd see the person behind the voice. Y'know, that ladies voice that says "Our control point is being contested!?"

Maybe we'd see how the TF2 team got started? And maybe introduce the rumoured 10th character? Perhaps they'll make different characters for the BLU team? Or maybe different teams with different character models?

Theoretically, there's a ton they can play around with because there's barely any existing storyline.

xHipaboo420x

Apr 22, 2009
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
I say make a long collection of shorts not a full fledged movie.
I think a compilation-type movie, linked by a unified plot thread, could work. An anecdotal movie, kinda like Forrest Gump, but with more WAR

man-man

Jan 21, 2008
They could go for a TF2-take on the war movie clichés... or play it lighter-toned and go for a comedy, not sure there's enough potential there for a feature length film (not a profitable one anyway) but I've loved everything they've made to date so whatever they come out with I'm sure will be great.

Meanwhile I'm still waiting for HL2:Ep3, I know these are 2 independent teams working on different things, but goddamnit Valve... crack the whips a little over whoever's making that game.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
MaxChaos said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
I think a compilation-type movie, linked by a unified plot thread, could work. An anecdotal movie, kinda like Forrest Gump, but with more WAR
I think a more apt comparison would almost be like a Tarantino movie in that there's one unified plot thread but it's largely out of order and presented as a bunch of short stories that all intersect. Actually that out of order part is purely optional

Nanissimov

Feb 17, 2009
Im really not sure about this, I like all of the meet the team things, But a movie, chances are its ganna suck and im actully embarresed to even think about it, how are you ganna introduce the charectars, it has no plot to it what so ever it is just a multiplayer game, dont get me wrong its one of my favorite multiplayer games but really, a movie?

DasAShinyGolash

May 20, 2009
:eek: this is just crazeh! maybe if they made it that it was how it all began or sumtin, maxchaos'es forrest gump idea is good to. but we'll just have to wait and see...

*piss myself with excitement*

xHipaboo420x

Apr 22, 2009
AceDiamond said:
MaxChaos said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
I think a more apt comparison would almost be like a Tarantino movie in that there's one unified plot thread but it's largely out of order and presented as a bunch of short stories that all intersect. Actually that out of order part is purely optional
Well put sir, that is exactly what I meant; you just said it better than me :p

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
That would be freaking awesome. Though if they did do it, it would probably take about a decade for them to finish.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
They should seriously ditch the movie idea and pitch it as a short 12 minute cartoon to the likes of Adult Swim. That is not only the perfect place for a show like this, but the niche market of the nerdy late night cartoon watchers is about right for them as well. This would be about as perfect as possible.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
Gormourn said:
I don't think an actual movie would work. A collection of hilarious shorts, maybe. A movie, no.
Yeah, not sure that the characters would really hold up for 90 or so minutes.

And the whole thing is so inherently nerdy that there wouldn't be much mass market appeal at all - the humour is a little too much for younger kids as well.