Ubisoft Snags Rights to Tintin Game

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Ubisoft Snags Rights to Tintin Game

Publisher Ubisoft has acquired the rights to craft a tie-in game for the upcoming film Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn.

The film is based on the long-running Tintin series of Belgian comic books. Americans may not be as familiar with the series as our brethren across The Pond, but essentially it's Scooby Doo crossed with The Hardy Boys with fewer stoner undertones.

The Hollywood adaptation of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn is scheduled for release in 2011, is being directed by Steven Spielberg and stars the voices of Simon Pegg, Daniel Craig, Andy Serkis and Jamie Bell.

There's no word on what Ubisoft plans to bring to the game adaptation [http://www.edge-online.com/news/ubisoft-acquires-tintin-game-rights], but if past history is any indication, we'll be lucky if the project qualifies as a forgettable, paint-by-numbers interactive recreation of what is bound to be a popular kids film.

Really, the only question we should be asking at this point is how many of the film's stars (or, that is, their voices) will be featured in the game.

Expect the game to launch simultaneously with the film, barring any major delays.

(Image courtesy Le Petit Vingtième)

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
yay tintin. Hope the film lives up to the old cartoon series, rather than doing a transformers & destroy all my childhood memories.

MrPop

May 14, 2009
Cousin_IT said:
yay tintin. Hope the film lives up to the old cartoon series, rather than doing a transformers & destroy all my childhood memories.
Yeah. I used to love the cartoons and comics (and still do =P). The Seven Crystal Balls cartoon gave me nightmares as a child though.

I never knew they had Daniel Craig and Simon Pegg voicing in it. Looking forward to the film eventhough he said it was for children *shakes fist*. I won't care though. Obviously I don't care about a game of it though

schubi

Aug 27, 2008
Under the right circumstances a TinTin game could be a great action adventure.
Unfortunately a movie tie-in will be bad.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
schubi said:
Under the right circumstances a TinTin game could be a great action adventure.
Unfortunately a movie tie-in will be bad.
Yea, if the game was separate from the film, with a brand new story, or a couple of fan favourites together, it could be a really good game.

Oh! And I'd want it in 2D! Like The Curse fo Monkey Island.

InventiveHero

Oct 2, 2008
I know Tintin has a huge following overseas, but I think that - for American audiences at least - they could have doctored up a more X-treme title. "Tintin: the Secret of the Unicorn," is as easy a sell from the title alone as, "This Movie Will Make you Gain 10 Pounds, Remind you of your First Pet's Tragic Death, and Also There's a Nude Scene at an Old Folks Home: The Movie"

Allow me to help Tintin producers:

"TinTerminator and the Legend of the Gorilla Piloted, Steam Powered, T-Rex-a-trons that Terrorize Naked Women."

(Also the Unicorn's secret is that it's actually a Polycorn, but files down it's extra horns)

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
Simon Pegg as Thompson (and Thompson) is just about exactly right. He's got that aloof, somewhat self-absorbed style that makes you sure he's going to take credit for the results of your next case, if he could only remember what he did with his hat.

I'm going to check out the rest of the cast to see if they fit my childhood dream of the voices of these characters.

EDIT: Ahh, I'm trying to hard. I'll just see it and be the judge then.

Extra edit: I realize suddenly, getting caught up in the idea that there's a movie, that this is in fact about a game. Agreed, it could make a good adventure game if done right, and here's hoping, but we'll see.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Jamie Bell's in it? Sigh... Oh well. He's really not the picture of confidence in any of his movies, just a nervous little fellow. Tintin's always been more sure of himself than any character I've ever seen Bell play.

As for the game, it can almost really only be an adventure game, with puzzles and the like. But I'll bet they go 3rd-person shooter. Well, at least we know they were given two years to work on it.

Cpt. Red

Jul 24, 2008
Ah TinTin, how I loved that show...
I have the intro music as my alarm sound on my cellphone...

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
I swear to the gods, Hollywood has OFFICIALLY, ONCE AND FOR ALL TIME run out of ideas. This is just silly. And I didn't even bat an eye when Pajiba reported they're making a modernized version of Where's Waldo and Bazooka Joe. (bubblegum related)