DSi Tops 1 Million Sold In Europe

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
DSi Tops 1 Million Sold In Europe

After only eight weeks on European retail shelves, Nintendo's DSi has sold more than 1 million units.

An unsurprising success for the industry's most popular handheld platform perhaps, but the current sales tally puts the DSi a full five weeks ahead of its predecessor. The original Nintendo DS took 13 weeks to move 1 million.

Then again, the DS is still selling quite well despite competition from its upgraded brethren. Since the launch of the DSi, the original has moved half a million handhelds, according to GamesIndustry.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/dsi-hits-1-million-in-europe].

In related news, the Atari Lynx continues to flounder.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
sirdanrhodes said:
Wow, 1 million units of a stripped down DS Lite sold, bravo...
I think it has a camera stuck to it too somewhere.

But yea, I'm shocked people still fall for the "We've upgraded it" bullshit.

MrPop

May 14, 2009
Still got my trusty original DS... Although I never use it... ever. I didn't expect it to reach sale landmarks before the original DS. But I suppose a lot of people may be 'trading up' to the DSi. Although the features are just two cameras and no GBA slot. That means no Yoshi's Island!

:mad:

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
I like my DS more, I use it sometimes but that's what a hand held is for. If your moving around its difficult to take your Xbox and plug it into a tree or use the 84 AA battery pack ya know?

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
Cpt_Oblivious said:
sirdanrhodes said:

I'm still shocked people don't understand that what they look for in a handheld console is not what everyone else looks for in a handheld console.

I own a DS Lite, I bought it to replace my original DS because the screen was brighter (and I do see a significant difference).
I'm now tempted to buy a DSi, not for the camera, not for the music player. Mainly its for the shop, there's nothing worthwhile there yet, but it is highly likely that older games (GB, GBC possibly GBA) will be available for download.

I never owned a GBA, therefore, I do not own any GBA games. So if I were buying a new DS, I have the option of:

- Paying more for some interesting features that I may/may not use, and a shop which will potentially provide cheap yet quality games.

- Or I can pay the lower price for a Lite, whose only advantage is its capability to play games that I don't own and would have difficulty finding/buying.

Either option is valid and it would inevitably be up to what I value more: money, or the DSi Shop. At the moment money would win, but I have no way of knowing what the DSi shop will offer in the future.

So do everyone a favour (and this applies to everyone as close minded as yourself) and cut the whole "I am mentally superior, those who disagree with me are fools" crap. You're embarrassing yourself in front of those of us who actually put thought into our opinions.

TheBarefootBandit

May 20, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
sirdanrhodes said:

You're not only one.

AMCization said:
I'll stick with my giant silver brick thank you very much
Again you're not only one. Lol

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
You've got to be joking. I swear, Nintendo could paint their logo onto bricks and they'd sell millions.

SecretTacoNinja

Jul 8, 2008
As soon as they release Mother 3 onto that shop thingie-ma-doodle I'll change my mind, but until then;

Whyyyyyyy? What do people see in it?