Liveblog: Nintendo's E3 Press Conference

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Liveblog: Nintendo's E3 Press Conference

9:40 - Susan and I just took our seats in the auditorium. They're displaying coming-attractions-like quiz questions about Nintendo products on the main screen. Do you know what Nintendo 64 accessory was first released as a pack-in with Star Fox 64? It's D - the Rumble Pak. The more you know!

Side-note: When's the Wii going to get a legit Starfox game? I mean with Arwings and Falco Lombardi and "Do a barrel roll!"? Finger's crossed it's this year.

10:03 - It begins! Cammie Dunaway takes the stage. Keeps a straight face the whole time - no smiles this time. The message? "Everyone's game." Your uncle ever call you for MarioKart tips? Cammie's has.

10:07 - The first surprise? New Super Mario Bros. Wii!

Four-player Mario Bros. with new power-ups and motion controls. Looks a lot like a Mario-themed version of LittleBigPlanet. Not just Mario & Luigi anymore, either - you can play as Toad. Available Holiday 2009.

10:13 - Next up? Wii Fit Plus. New exercises, plus the ability to create your own work-out routines. 40 minutes of continuous Wii wobbling is now possible. Yes!

Available with or without the balance board Fall of 2009.

10:18 - Reggie Fils-Aime takes the stage to talk about Wii Motion Plus. Shows us a nice video of how much cooler the Wii Motion Plus will be than the standard Wii remote. Nice, but we've seen this all before.

Next up: a demo of Wii Sports Resort. You start the game by skydiving to a remote island destination - repositioning the Wii remote changes your skydiver's orientation. Looks like a neat tutorial.

Other demos: archery and a 3-point contest between Reggie and one of his executive underlings. Reggie wins - smart career move for the other guy, methinks.

10:32 - New Final Fantasy game exclusively for the Wii - The Crystal Bearers. And some more footage of the new Kingdom Hearts game for the DS.

10:35 - Next: a look at Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. Available Fall 2009.

10:37 - Another new RPG for the handheld: Golden Sun DS! Six years in the making, apparently.

Annnnd Cammie's back onstage.

10:40 - Women's Murder Club: trashy mystery novel meets DS mini-game collection. Looks like suburban housewives will have something other than the next Brain Age to look forward to.

And, for actual gamers, C.O.P.: The Recruit, a new Ubisoft DS game with "gritty" third person action.

10:43 - Back on the hardware front - a look at some of the features of the DSi. Big emphasis on user-generated content, included Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again, a DSiware game to be released June 8 that features a full level-editing suite.

Other features: editing and uploading DSi photos directly to Facebook.

10:51 - Mr. Iwata takes the stage and offers some statistics about the worldwide gaming population. Sweet, delicious statistics.

New peripheral: the Wii Vitality Sensor. Clamp it onto your finger, and it measures your pulse. Makes sense with Wii Fit, but I can't see it being too useful in a Zelda game. Iwata says that the peripheral could be useful in developing relaxation techniques and even as a sleep aid.

11:01 - Cammie's back onstage. And we have a new Super Mario Galaxy game, this time with Yoshi!

Super Mario Galaxy 2. No release date, but it looks like Super Mario Galaxy with some cool new gameplay concepts.

11:10 - Alright, this is a surprise: Team Ninja is working with Nintendo on a third-person Metroid game for the Wii, Metroid: Other M. Doesn't look as gory as a Ninja Gaiden game, but seems a bit more violent than your standard Metroid title.

And that's a wrap, folks! Hopefully we'll be able to spend some time with these games on the show floor. Thanks for reading!

PhoenixFlame

Dec 6, 2007
Like I've been saying before - I've always questioned the long term viability of the Wii despite initial strong sales. New games are nice - like the new Mario - but the presentation so far appears to be a further departure from the core gamer and into the wider audience - an audience that isn't going to make a long term investment intot he Wii by buying a ton of games, due to their very nature of being casual.

Style Savvy? Women's Murder Club? Wii Resort? Even though the audience that skyrocketed them to that might be interested, I highly doubt they are a sustainable market for them.

It's no secret Wii Motion Plus got upstaged by Natal though.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
GOLDEN SUN DS!?!?

My prayers have been answered! Seriously, I don't think anything else this week can top the news of a Golden Sun 3!

EDIT:
Nintendo, I have to say, I still generally dislike the direction you're heading with the peripherals and casual market, but you've managed to impress me this year. I'll take a new Metroid over a new Zelda anytime.

PhoenixFlame

Dec 6, 2007
Ranooth said:
Im dying inside watching this.
Iwata's segment in particular appears to be a response to all the criticism of Nintendo's direction. The idea appears to be "someone has to do it, for the good of the industry, because more gamers is a good thing". I don't buy it, mostly because the ideal method would be to develop both audiences in parallel, not eschew one audience for another.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
The Wii Vitality sensor could be the key peripheral for all survival horror games from here on out. Pulse dropping to low? Insert random scare.

PhoenixFlame

Dec 6, 2007
tendo82 said:
the Wii Vitality sensor could be the key peripheral for all survival horror games from here on out. Pulse dropping to low? Insert random scare.
Sony really has to come out with something that deals with the physicality of the gamer now, given all this, just to keep up, to be honest.

neuromasser

Jan 20, 2009
At least two nice things today, Golden Sun and Mario & Luigi. I'm looking forward to getting them xD

GuerrillaClock

Jul 11, 2008
Galaxy 2? That's a surprise. Looks like same concept as Galaxy, but with some neat additions.

And Metroid! If this isn't awesome, I wil literally eat my hat.

EDIT: I can't help but be disappointed there was no news on the next Wii Zelda.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
I can only imagine how Samus's chest piece will have to grow under Team Ninja's "watchful" eyes.

PhoenixFlame

Dec 6, 2007
tendo82 said:
I can only imagine how Samus's chest piece will have to grow under Team Ninja's "watchful" eyes.
If they make that part of a metal suit somehow bounce rhythmically I will both laugh and cry at the same time.

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
Pretty disappointing Metroid looks good, Mario Galaxy, A bunch of decent DS Games. But they spent most of the conference talking about games and peripherals that they showed at last years E3 the vitality sensor could have some neat applications but I don't see alot of gamers buying it. Which in turn leads me to doubt we will ever really see it used outside of like wii fit and the like.

Would love to see it used in like dead space or something along those lines could have some really neat uses. I think it could have been a really neat tool in like Eternal Darkness Sanity's Requiem.

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
fsanch said:
tendo82 said:
the Wii Vitality sensor could be the key peripheral for all survival horror games from here on out. Pulse dropping to low? Insert random scare.
Sony really has to come out with something that deals with the physicality of the gamer now, given all this, just to keep up, to be honest.
Sony announces new controller: the Electro-Shock 3.

SecretTacoNinja

Jul 8, 2008
Team Ninja are going to make Metroid really, stupidly hard aren't they?

[small]I can't believe I still haven't got a Wii...I really should work on that...[/small]

iain62a

Oct 9, 2008
tendo82 said:
The Wii Vitality sensor could be the key peripheral for all survival horror games from here on out. Pulse dropping to low? Insert random scare.
There are survival horror games for the Wii?

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
fsanch said:
an audience that isn't going to make a long term investment intot he Wii by buying a ton of games, due to their very nature of being casual.
That's an oft-repeated meme but other than the circular logic that these people are casual and therefore don't buy many games (the casual label is arbitrary, it's not based on actual behaviour except "I'm hardcore and I don't play their games") there is nothing to substantiate it. What makes you think they aren't going to buy many games?

iain62a said:
There are survival horror games for the Wii?
Yeah, almost the most prolific genre on the system, did you miss that? Silent Hill Shattered Memories, Cursed Mountain, Fatal Frame 4, The Grudge, ...