UPDATE: Sony Announces Final Fantasy XIV Online

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
UPDATE: Sony Announces Final Fantasy XIV Online

During its media briefing, Sony revealed Final Fantasy XIV Online, due out next year.

Final Fantasy XIV will be a PlayStation 3 exclusive, but Sony revealed little more than that. We saw a video, which was the typical gorgeous cinematics that we've come to expect from Square Enix. We saw a few characters, an epic vista, and a chocobo.

UPDATE: Square Enix has launched a teaser site [http://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/], which features the trailer shown at the Sony press event (displayed below), and includes the additional information that the game will also be released on the PC.

UPDATE: In a private press conference and Q/A session, Square Enix denied that FFXVI is a PS3 exclusive. Square Enix VP Shinji Hashimoto responded "We are considering all options at this time," via a translator, when asked about a release on the Xbox 360.

It was also revealed that the game will have a simultaneous worldwide launch in English, French and Japanese. Gameplay is intended to be more casual than Final Fantasy XI, and comparisons to World of Warcraft were made regarding accessibility.

[flowplayer=http://square.vo.llnwd.net/o2/ff14/movie/e3_trailer_SD.flv]

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Damn late 09 and 2010 are gonna be a Final Fantasy overload. Die hard fans are gonna be bankrupt but tremendously happy. Now....WHERE THE FUCK IS MY FF13 AGITO!? damn you SE hurry up!

Delmar Wynn

Nov 12, 2002
Samurai Ralan said:
You say online, implying another MMORPG from them?
Well I think the big difference is that it is a PS3 exclusive MMORPG. They have Final Fantasy XI Online currently which was a PS2 and PC online game, but I believe now also for the Xbox 360.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Meh, they should stop putting the MMORPGs into the main numbering line.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
KDR_11k said:
Yea I mean whats wrong with calling it Final Fantasy Online? It's far less misleading.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
This could be epic.

I'm hoping since its a ps3 exclusive, its a more console friendly MMO.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Why must they keep numbering the online installments?

Other than that...

PROFANITY!

Quit wasting time on MMO's and give me my singleplayer RPG's you squeenix douchebags!
(I've been waiting to say that since FFXI came out)

Lazzi

Apr 12, 2008
-Seraph- said:
KDR_11k said:
Yea I mean whats wrong with calling it Final Fantasy Online? It's far less misleading.
How so?

Its not like any of the other final fantasies bleed into the next one. FFX2 is an acception, there is a none roman numeral...

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
It's just rather misleading as most numerical FF's are single player full story RPG's while 11 and this one are MMO's which just don't seem to fit in with what I guess I'll call tradition. When you hear Final Fantasy (insert number) most people expect a single player RPG, not some MMO. I remember how shocked some people where when 11 was announced to be an MMO, certainly gave me my fair share of WTF? (confusion type not anger type)

dante brevity

Apr 15, 2009
I'm sorry, but don't you have to release XIII to announce XIV? Hell, I'll announce right now that FF XV will be released Christmas 2013. There, I've just given you information as accurate as any you'll get from SE 'til the release.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
*bangs head on wall* ow, ow, ow, ow Didn't they learn from that online debacle known as FF11? And yes, where the hell is my FF13, I need to buy it and not finish it because its to damn long.

Zephyr892

Mar 15, 2009
Even from that mini video and having no concrete facts on gameplay or mechanics. I'm extremely underwhelmed right now.

I used to think that FFXIII looked beautiful and I was more then excited to play it but now I just... don't care, preemptive burnout almost?

However on topic another MMO is not what is needed. If they develop a game that is "buy and play" like Guild wars that WILL be successful, however another subscription based PS3 exclusive is not going to sell extremely well...

I just think it's sad that Uncharted 2 and Assassins Creed 2 (Both games I'm excited for, but still) got far more cheering than all the Square announcements

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
I just hope this time, the game will be an RPG that just happens to have an "O" aspect, rather than another generic MMORPG.