Xbox Originals Closing Up Shop

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Xbox Originals Closing Up Shop

Microsoft will cease updating its Xbox Originals service, which allows users to download Xbox 1 titles like Ninja Gaiden Black over Xbox Live, in the near future.

Xbox Originals never really took off. Despite having a somewhat decent line-up of Xbox 1 games to download onto your 360 over Xbox Live, the service never really seemed like a high priority for Microsoft or Xbox users. Psychonauts, Ninja Gaiden Black, Jade Empire, Indigo Prophecy. All games I played for the first time via Xbox Originals. I guess I was the only one.

Now Microsoft is cutting off the service, saying that they've "finished its portfolio" of Xbox Originals titles, and will be releasing only one more Original and then that'll be it for new Originals. That last game will probably be Halo 2, considering it's a perennial favorite and will probably garner a few "oh man I LOVE that game" downloads from eager impulse Spacebuck spenders.

The move comes not as a result of the service's lack of popularity or otherwise, but because Microsoft is moving toward it's "on demand games" service that it revealed during Monday's E3 press conference. The service will make select past and future 360 retail games downloadable over Live.

I have a feeling Originals would have been a bigger hit if the games offered had been spruced up in some way, with Achievements or maybe even just cost a little bit less. As it is they were just straight-up ports that didn't always work perfectly, anyway.

[Via IGN [http://uk.xboxlive.ign.com/articles/990/990070p1.html]]

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Keane Ng said:
I have a feeling Originals would have been a bigger hit if the games offered had been spruced up in some way, with Achievements or maybe even just cost a little bit less. As it is they were just straight-up ports that didn't always work perfectly, anyway.
So your saying that they charged full price for the game? That is a rip off, achievements would be a good incentive to get them.
I wish Sony would add trophies to their PS1 Classics.

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
It's closing?! But I still need Area 51!

Wait, does this mean I can't redownload some of the ones I temporarily deleted to make room?

Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Keane Ng said:
So your saying that they charged full price for the game? That is a rip off, achievements would be a good incentive to get them.
I wish Sony would add trophies to their PS1 Classics.
Actually they charge around 12-15$

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
Not a huge surprise I can pick up Stubbs for feck all these days.

SamB2604

May 28, 2009
I've known the service was there but never really given it a second look. Not a major loss I don't think!

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
mydogisblue said:
It's closing?! But I still need Area 51!

Wait, does this mean I can't redownload some of the ones I temporarily deleted to make room?
Well, it sounds like they're just going to stop updating Originals is all. I can't tell if they're going to shut it down entirely. I'd re-download the ones you really care about just to be safe.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
They weren't full price. They were 1200 points (roughly US$15) each.

I'd have bought more, but I already owned so many of the titles they had available and didn't have one I really wanted, Beyond Good & Evil. I guess being limited to keeping the titles to ones that'd work with Back Compatibility cramped the selection alot.

Oh well.

-- Steve

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
I don't really care... especially since they've got that new service coming up that will serve the exact same purpose.

Valkyira

Mar 13, 2009
to add achievements or trophies to original games, the developers would have to completely edit the game thats why there are none

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Aaww... As long as they put up Halo 2 on the Originals service, I'm a happy monkey.

Other than that.... Guess I have to Flash my 360's DVD drive if I want to get my hands on a game I can't find.

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
Ollie596 said:
Not a huge surprise I can pick up Stubbs for feck all these days.
I have an old copy of that lying about somewhere and I don't even have an xbox :p

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
Pr0 InSaNiTy said:
to add achievements or trophies to original games, the developers would have to completely edit the game thats why there are none
Well, in the last interview with Microsoft I read they said it was because they wanted to "preserve the originality" of the original Xbox games and that adding achievements would take that away.

Or some other shit like that.

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
Sorry, but I don't care. The price they were asking in my opinion was too high for my liking.

Adding acheivements would seriously boost sales I think. Maybe that would be worth while.

Valkyira

Mar 13, 2009
mydogisblue said:
Pr0 InSaNiTy said:
Well, in the last interview with Microsoft I read they said it was because they wanted to "preserve the originality" of the original Xbox games and that adding achievements would take that away.

That too but they would have to program them into the game which would take a lot of time and a waste of money as most people don't buy originals off the marketplace

sneak_copter

Nov 3, 2008
Pr0 InSaNiTy said:
mydogisblue said:
Pr0 InSaNiTy said:

That too but they would have to program them into the game which would take a lot of time and a waste of money as most people don't buy originals off the marketplace
Program them into the game? You don't have to program them in, as I remember being told how you can "create" homebrew achivements.

Valkyira

Mar 13, 2009
sneak_copter said:
Pr0 InSaNiTy said:
mydogisblue said:
Pr0 InSaNiTy said:

Program them into the game? You don't have to program them in, as I remember being told how you can "create" homebrew achivements.
You can't just add achievements to a game willy nilly you actually have to re-write the coding so the achievements unlock once you have done the specific task.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Kinda of a shame for me as I don't own an original Xbox and I have no knowledge of how Xbox games work on a 360.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
sneak_copter said:
Yeah, it's just as easy as tightening up the graphics on Level 3.

/facepalm

Firstly, Xbox1 games weren't built with Achievements in mind so the triggers and reporting mechanisms aren't there. Secondly, a lot of the games (Halo and Stubbs, for example) weren't even built with Xbox Live in mind... so even networking might not be there. Rebuilding the game to put those in isn't going to be easy.

So exactly how much extra work are they supposed to put into rebuilding a game that sells for $15?

-- Steve

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Couldn't they put the games on Xbox Live Arcade? I mean it makes sense, they have games from 2 generations ago so why not 1?